New Facebook page

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
turboblown
Modern Master

New Facebook page

Postby turboblown » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 pm

https://www.facebook.com/MCMeverything

Everyone's welcome to come over. Not- I'm not trying to take away from the Lotta Living forum! I created the page just for a quick place to drop in and say something and make it easy to post pictures. You're welcome to put your pics on there and link them if you desire.

Jim

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 am

great idea = "liked"...

does LL have a FB page? if so, i couldn't find it.

to be honest, since FB is already in my daily feed and routine it's a lot easier to see these things aggregated in one place (i.e.: on FB). although i have LL bookmarked in a tab (next to eichler network), it's really easy to go quite some time without checking it. i started a RNM page for this very reason.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:30 am

Hi redneck, no, lotta does not have a FB page.

i have thought about it, but then i wonder if that would affect traffic here? we are already on the slow, but steady side. also facebook does all sorts of not-s-nice things as far as copyrights and stuff, and does not allow segmentation of content.

last year or so, i did add a "Share" button for social media at the top right of posts so posts and threads can be linked to FB et al. please don't forget to use that!

turboblown - would mcmeverything be willing to become the lottaliving fb page? i actually did that with another forum i run. someone created that fb page. then I became one of admins on that community page. along with a couple of the other main moderators.

but curious and open to know what others think about all this?

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:33 am

agreed on some of the FB naughtiness, but in the end, it is an aggregated place where people share content -- much like this forum -- but not disparate like the many forums i visit... which makes for a one-stop-shop kind of element. i think people are also a bit alarmist as to FB/instagram policies, but some people are also weird about chemtrails, second-shooter theories, birth certificates, etc so...

admittedly, though, ancillary FB pages are best for serial-content-type blogs where a FB post would link to a new article or post -- serving as a "check this out" announcement. it wouldn't be as natural of a fit for a user-forum like this as the content is of a different nature.

speaking only for myself (as a blogger), i've found that a FB page is an easy way for folks to have an easy view to new posts to my blog (and link to them). i now likely get as much traffic from FB and FB-shares as previous methods combined and this doesn't even include folks who actually see the post but don't click the link. so, for me, it's worked well and i have little concern of FB exercising eminent domain over any redneckmodern content (and if they did, it might not be a bad problem to have, popularity-wise).

as a user, i keep up with sites like apartment therapy, dwell, westelm, etc more through FB then through their main channels these days. in fact, in the case of dwell, i have at least 2 unread issues on my credenza but have caught wind of what's going on in the world-of-dwell through both FB and pinterest. as a designer and professor, it's sort of amazing to watch how communication and media (and user habits) are changing so rapidly -- and what it means now to "keep up" (and also "fall behind").

but like a blog, a FB page will die without new content, so -- for the context of this site -- there would need to be a way to refresh/feature forum content (or new, not-yet-conceived content) for the page which might be more trouble than it's worth... or the thing that turns around the slowness.

enter pinterest, though... while i'm not a pinterest power-user, i could see much of the visual content of this forum being better served as a pinterest board -- like the "favorite buildings and signs" forum. ... and perhaps as a triumvirate, the three cold work in tandem.

twitter... i still don't understand.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 am

yes. on all of the above.

i have had a great user experience designed for lottaliving for a couple of years now, including many of the features you listed. but sadly, since the board does not generate that much income to speak of... i have no budget to pay someone to program. many people who run these boards start as programmers, thus have the chops to design and build all sorts of fancy upgrades. but that's not my skill set.
our own brother sky was taking some programming classes and generously added some nice features for us a few years back. but other than that i don't know what else to do? i would be interested in partnering with someone if anyone knows a top-notch php and other skills programmer who also happens to love mcm.

keep the ideas coming and still interested in partnering with turboblown if he would be into in?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”