Cliff May home - adding more windows

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Cliff May home - adding more windows

Postby Sienna » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 am

Hi all,

We just fnished an addition on our CM house. We added sq footage to the living room by adding on to the garage towards the street. We want to add additional four-paned windows to the wall where the new living area is. You can see in the picture below, that the new addition is where the white primer is. The green section behind that is the rest of the garage. The two sections behind that is the new living area. Upon removal of the siding I find a regular framed wall. My questions are:

1) Is there any structural issues with removing the framing and inserting a 4x4 post under the rafter where those two sections meet?
2) What is the best way to add a post?

Thanks all!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 am

I don't think it would be a problem. Because it is part of the original build, there should be a 4x6 at the top. Just look carefully for joints in the beam. I would not place an opening under one. Of course there is no way to really attach a post in a current code compliant way. The original posts have a pin set into the concrete and are just toe nailed to the beam. None of that would fly today. But if you are past inspections on the garage addition, you can probably get away with it. You will have to use brackets on the new posts and they will show though.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 am

Sienna, I'm curious, especially since this seems like an addition that respects the original build method...is this a permitted addition and did you get any static from the inspector?

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”