Finally, exposing the beautiful hidden VCT tile

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scott NC
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Finally, exposing the beautiful hidden VCT tile

Postby Scott NC » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Finally, after 7 years, I decided to rip out a vanity as well
as pull up the carpet in my master bdr's living room.
I always knew there was this tile underneath, but only saw pcs of the perimeter and they looked pretty ugly. So, I just figured what the hell,
lets take it all up. Such a relief! very minimal glue from carpet pad, a bit of staples that I pulled, and a couple pcs around perimeter chipped.
So next step is to either hire someone to strip, clean, finish, wax, and burnish this room. You experienced guys think I should just do it
myself and rent a buffer? I think it would be fun, but just want it done right and quick since I'd have to rent. Anyhow, here's a couple work in progress before and after pics......still have a long way to go with everything....
before...

after.......
the gloss look I'm hoping for....

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 pm

clean, wax, and buff will make it look new

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:34 pm

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 am

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:32 am

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 am

thanks everyone, got a professional coming in next Tuesday.
clean, seal, wax wax wax wax, buff.

Also having him do the terra cotta tiles I've wanted done for 7 yrs too...

$150 both rooms. Awesome.

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm

The one question I forgot to ask....

Is the small gap between tiles normal back then?
I see all these other homes with practically no gap.
Is that because they weren't original? Or is the gap
because of location of US...ie humidity/heat, etc.
I'm in NC and temp/humidity throughout the year is all over
the place.
Anyhow, once cleaned and sealed and waxed, is it going to be more visible or less visible?
Or should I just not worry about it:P

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm

I would say the gap does have to do with the humidity, not only from climate, but also from having the carpets cleaned. A lot of wet stayed down there for a while after cleaning. And yes you should probably not worry about it.

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 am

tiles came out nicely without buffing
I know it's not amazing, but hey.
ANYTHING is better than what it was.
the vct tiles definitely have their imperfections from
60 yrs ago. Better than my old carpet and just in time for spring.
Maybe I'll burnish it some day on the next go round....

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 am

Now the next thing you need to know: use a neutral cleaner when mopping. Detergents will break down the wax (well probably acrylic floor finish in this case) In fact, you will be amazed at how much just plain water will clean. Do what you can to limit the amount of grit that gets tracked in, that also helps. It looks real nice. I'm way past due for a through strip & redo of all steps myself.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”