Richard Neutra Architectural Plans for Sale

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

Richard Neutra Architectural Plans for Sale

Postby scowsa » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 am

"Through an exciting new partnership between Dion Neutra, the Neutra Office and California Architecture Conservancy, that indescribable quality of the past can, once again, be achieved today. Pursuant to this partnership, one can license the right to build from the plans of mid-century master Richard Neutra."

Downloadable brochure available at
http://www.theagencyre.com/richardneutra/
scowsa

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 am

Am I the only one who sees this as a bit sad? The thought of a person buying the plans for the Kaufmann residence and then building a new reproduction somewhere else seems contradictory to what I know and appreciate about these designs....They are not Eichlers or Alexanders where the intent was to be repeatable. They were custom designs which responded to the context of their specific site.

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm

it's not totally clear from the brochure if you can buy the kauffman house (or lovell health house) or other iconic plans.

check the wording here: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/04/you_can_now_have_a_brand_new_richard_neutra_case_study_house.php#more

Two of the designs available are Neutra's unbuilt houses for Arts & Architecture's Case Study House program--Alpha (number 13) and Omega (six).

is the writer saying that those are the only two designs available?

or is that two designs that are available out of ... many?

allen
Modern Master

neutra plans

Postby allen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 pm

While checking building permits in Pasadena sometime back, I came across a Neutra as architect building permit on Glen Oaks Blvd. 1500 block. The permit however was cancelled and some other architects design was built there. The site, hilltop, 360 degree view ! Rose bowl , city of Pasadena and down town LA +++
I would love to see those unbuilt plans.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:18 pm

sdmod wrote:Am I the only one who sees this as a bit sad? The thought of a person buying the plans for the Kaufmann residence and then building a new reproduction somewhere else seems contradictory to what I know and appreciate about these designs....They are not Eichlers or Alexanders where the intent was to be repeatable. They were custom designs which responded to the context of their specific site.

I agree. this doesn't feel right.

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 am

link to case study 6 and 13:
http://www.artsandarchitecture.com/case.houses/houses.html
(click on 'issue' to the right - Oct 1945 and Mar 1946)

case study quote from the above arts & architecture site:
The program announcement stated that each “house must be capable of duplication and in no sense be an individual 'performance'... It is important that the best material available be used in the best possible way in order to arrive at a ‘good’ solution of each problem, which in the overall program will be general enough to be of practical assistance to the average American in search of a home in which he can afford to live.”

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 am

The potential confusion within this thread is because the folks selling these plans and services, The Agency, have not listed which ones are actually for sale.

So as FRaC points out, sdmod's concern about reproduction Kaufmann houses may not be valid.

One additional piece of reporting on another site specifically references the availability of case study 6 and 13 plans and services. As FRaC indicates, the CS program wanted their houses to built elsewhere and in the case of study 6 and 13, they were never actually built anyway.
scowsa

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Tue May 07, 2013 8:29 pm

it's like, exactly what the case study program was about

yet mid century snobs bemoan the news ...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm

A lot of Neurta's small houses have either been lost or "altered beyond recognition" I like the small houses, and think they are still relevant.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 am

I see nothing in this that says that they are talking about just the Case Study designs...in fact the brochures specifically mention VDL and Kauffman etc. which were certainly site specific designs.

These plans and any homes built with them will be million dollar + homes for the well to do......nothing could be farther from the spirit of the Case Study program.

If someone has a million dollars to spend they can probably find an actual Neutra house in need of restoration.

To each his own, I just think it looks like a money grab.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 pm

sdmod wrote:I see nothing in this that says that they are talking about just the Case Study designs...in fact the brochures specifically mention VDL and Kauffman etc. which were certainly site specific designs.

These plans and any homes built with them will be million dollar + homes for the well to do......nothing could be farther from the spirit of the Case Study program.

If someone has a million dollars to spend they can probably find an actual Neutra house in need of restoration.

To each his own, I just think it looks like a money grab.

The references to the VDL and Kauffman homes only seem to be about Neutra's portfolio. The only specific thing the brochure says about the plans for sale is
"There are numerous plans from which to choose for your own “Neutra” primary residence, vacation home or guest house."

My mention of the availability of case study 6 and 13 plans and services was clearly referenced as additional piece of reporting on another site.

As to "any homes built with them will be million dollar + homes for the well to do......nothing could be farther from the spirit of the Case Study program," let's consider a development where the spirit of the CS program was probably realized more than the actual CS program.

Crestwood Hills http://www.eichlernetwork.com/article/loving-highlife-crestwood-hills-los-angeles

"This is clearly one of the most significant postwar modern residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles, both for its architecture, the design of its individual buildings and its overall tract design, and for its association with the model of cooperative housing and the social ideals associated with that." Ken Bernstein, director of Los Angeles' Office of Historic Resources.

But if you wanted to buy one of those homes today, such as http://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/1220-N-Kenter-Ave-90049/home/6860353 it would cost you $1,475,000.

Why? Location, location, location.

Lastly, you can actually still buy CS plans from some sources, here's one for CS # 3.
http://www.houseplans.com/article/exclusive/william-wurster-and-theodore-bernardi

So if you can find a low cost location and a low cost contractor, you may be able to still fulfil the spirit of the Case Study program.
scowsa

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Scowsa... I was not specifically referring to your post rather the justification implied by FRaC above ....and further the implication that it is somehow snobbish to not be of like mind.

This is scarcely what the Case Study program was about.....this is about making money not a democratic approach to design for the average american which was largely the premise of the Case Study program.

Rather than debate this point we can all just sit back and watch.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Is there something wrong with an heir, also an architect, making money off of his father's designs? I see nothing wrong with making money. I like doing it. It is, in fact, essential. And no custom, one off, house is ever cheap, even if small and modest.

Now once (if) anyone buys one of these plans an puts it up, I will be among the first to critique it.

luther
Modern Master

Postby luther » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 am

It appears that Neutra was already in the business of selling plans back in 1946. These plans come from the "California Plan Book". Other well known architects like Frey and Schindler were included. I've added a selection of the modern plans from the book to my Flickr page here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midcentarc/sets/72157635884375083/

Click here for a higher res on my Flickr page

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 am

I don't see a lot of value in old architectural plans. A great home can be somewhat replicated with a floor plans and existing photos documented in Neutra's work. Existing plans would need to be altered to accommodate current building codes anyway. I don't see much money being made from this exercise.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Well it is happening. A plan was just submitted to subdivide the property of the Sondern-Adler residence designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in Kansas City to build one Neutra's case study plans. It effectively makes the Sondern House sit in the back yard of the new Neutra. This is not going to be a happy story.
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:01 pm

moderns-r-us wrote:Well it is happening. A plan was just submitted to subdivide the property of the Sondern-Adler residence designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in Kansas City to build one Neutra's case study plans. It effectively makes to Sondern House sit in the back yard of the new Neutra. This is not going to be a happy story.

someone with money and ego to burn

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”