Cliff May Closets - Switching the Opening to Opposite Wall

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Van
Modern Master

Cliff May Closets - Switching the Opening to Opposite Wall

Postby Van » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am

Has anybody switched their closet door to the opposite wall? Right now, we have a double door closet in our living room:

We just got a great vintage sectional but it extends past the doors. We never use that closet and would like to knock out the back so it doubles the space of the closet that's directly behind it in the hallway. Then dry wall it so it's just a solid wall in the living room.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't do this? Anything to watch out for?

Also, there's a single door closet in the guest bathroom. I think previous owners might have done what I described above to this closet because the adjacent guest bedroom only has one double door closet (unlike the other guest bedroom that has a double and a single) and a wall where I think the closet was originally. We really don't use this bathroom closet...or even the bathroom because that's where we have the cats' litter boxes. I love our cats but they are messy beasts. Thinking of a couple of things here but for either, I'd have to leave the bottom 2' alone since that's where one of the cat boxes is. One option would be to simply wall up the bathroom closet and make the entrance on the guest bedroom side. The other would be to put a wall in the middle of the closet so the bathroom gets half, and then open it up on the bedroom side so it gets half. For either way, I would be using the bedroom side as a shelving unit rather than a closet. I'd like to put books and things in it. So that's why I'm fine if the bottom 2' is inaccessible from the bedroom side. I'd appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:56 pm

You could absolutely do that. the wonder of the Cliff Mays is that, as long as you don't mess with the posts & beams set on 64" centers, or the tie beams across, you can change anything around you want.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am

We removed those two back-to-back closets altogether. It really opened up the entry area and eliminated the tunnel-like feeling of the corridor between the bedrooms.
It made the utility closet more of a utility core.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:56 am

home_boy wrote:We removed those two back-to-back closets altogether. It really opened up the entry area and eliminated the tunnel-like feeling of the corridor between the bedrooms.
It made the utility closet more of a utility core.

Do you have a picture? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:07 am

The floor plans are not all alike. I do have a hall leading to the master, the closet faces the hall and acts as master closet overflow. (and some pantry storage as the previous owner added shelving) While removing the closet completely, leaving only (in my model) the furnace & water heater may work for a childless couple, I find the separation desirable for noise. The hall does not have to be a dark tunnel. Several folks in my neighborhood have added a skylight above there. I have added lighting and need the wall space for art. As it is, I have a ton of stuff stored away as living in a Cliff May means walls of glass and no walls for art. I can't imagine eliminating a closet in one of these houses. I could use a few more....

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Personally, I love the long dark hallway.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:03 pm

The low ceiling is classic compression and release as Wright did so often. It also houses the ductwork in my version.

Reversing your closet will not only give the master added closet space, but also create a nice wall for art.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:24 pm

I suppose it's possible

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”