New entry door

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

awoodby
Modern Groupie

New entry door

Postby awoodby » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 am

Hello!

Is there some way to get a solid wood door, without the weird panels cut out, made? Maybe with the 3 high windows in it, but otherwise flat, solid wood?

I see the crestwood doors, but really don't need or want a $2500 door!

Has anyone found another route?

Thanks!!

--Alex

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 pm

A solid flat door is not hard to come by, but one has to cut and install the windows. I think Crestwood has window kits. Most solid core doors have particle board cores. It is possible to get them with glued up blocks of wood as a core. That is called Stave core. The plain flat door type is called Flush.

http://www.masonite.com/pdf/architectur ... eSpecs.pdf

I bet there are other places to get windows to install into flush doors, schools tend to have windows in doors, often as slits. But once you get to custom ordering such a door it starts to approach Crestwood pricing. Better to get handy or hire one.

Solid core flush doors are mainly used in office buildings. So if one orders one it should also be specified with exterior glue lines.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I was as stunned by Crestview's price increase as you. I'm just grateful we ordered our door light kit a few years ago (the cost was $700 vs. an entire new door purchase at $3700 with Crestview's new prices and discontinuation of the door light kits). Therma Tru has introduced a line of mid-century inspired doors, here's a post about them from Retro Renovation: http://retrorenovation.com/2013/05/06/retro-doors-therma-tru/

WiscoUsonIan
Modern Socialite

Postby WiscoUsonIan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:41 am

WOW, didnt realize they doubled their prices! crazy! I was (about 2 months ago) was going to order a crestview door.

I then decided on getting a flush solid (and insulated) door made from a contact i've met on craigslist. This gives me the ability to customize the size, and use mahogany for less than a crestview (at their OLD price.) The result will be a better door thats more solid and also insulated. It might be worth a shot. Building a solid core door should not be all that hard, and inserting a window would be an easy addition with just adding the glass, and an interior and exterior casing.
View my documentation blog: www.usonianautomatic.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 pm

solid slab doors run about $125 from any door shop. might check your yellow pages instead of the web.

also, home owners and enthusiasts have been posting to this forum since 2002. this very topic is popular. use the search function to find useful threads.

I restored my entry and with contractor wages, sidelight, door, hardware, materials and paint cost less that $600.

frontdoor by joe.barthlow, on Flickr

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”