Who built my home?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

modern_in_mn
Modern Groupie

Who built my home?

Postby modern_in_mn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am

I recently purchased this MCM (ca 1960) in Brainerd, MN and am having a hard time finding out the designer. I checked with City Hall and they had the original permits on file but no plans or mention of the architect. I found a previous owner who said he left the plans for the next owner (before myself) behind the wetbar but nothing was found and the owner I bought from doesn't remember seeing them. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where I could look!!!

Here are some pics:

http://www.trulia.com/property/30341375 ... 01#photo-1

Any ideas?

TIA,

~dan
[/img]

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:33 am

Have you tried the city archives department at your library?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:17 am

I doubt an architect was involved with your home. split levels during this time were common for merchant builders to put up. the garage appears to be an addition. if the city has no record, check with the county.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 am

A substantial and impressive home, in its original form. The large "box" addition is unfortunate, perhaps -- yet a great deal of effort has been made, given the mismatch in form, to integrate the two halves of the thing by means of material and color. The brickwork of the addition was wrapped under and around the existing house, for the same reason.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as a builder home sans architect -- but I can only echo the earlier comments on how to determine the source of this design. Perhaps an inquiry ad in the local paper, to see if anyone has knowledge. And, a drive through the surrounding neighborhood(s) might turn up another home of this style; look for details such as the raked eave line, the paneled window form, and the distinctive original masonry, a thick veneer.

Good luck !

SDR

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”