Bathrooms - tiled walls with non-tiled floors

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Dan O.
Modern Master

Bathrooms - tiled walls with non-tiled floors

Postby Dan O. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm in the process of rebuilding a gutted bathroom, I like tiled walls do not want to do a tiled floor; i'd prefer VCT or linoleum. Nearly every mid-century bathroom I've ever seen always seems to have a tiled floor whenever wall tiles extend to the floor, were there exceptions to what was apparently common practice? I did look through some old posts and noticed Joe Barthlow's bathroom appears to have tile extending to to the floor which is VCT; was this how it was originally Joe?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm

It's all about the transitions. A lot of linoleum floors of the period had the flooring coved up to a metal strip. Joe's bath does not have tiled walls, the photos show the shower. The tiles facing the shower curb meet the VCT flooring. In my bath there is a terrazzo shower pan meeting the floor. (tub in the other) Our Cliff May baths are small, 5' X 8' max. In spite of the premium now paid, they where cheap houses. There is no way they ever had tiled walls. It would be really claustrophobic in such small spaces to have tiled walls. Maybe some small mosaic with a subtle pattern would work. When I remodel I will bring the tiles of both the tub and the shower another 4-5" or so just for water resistance. If your bath is larger you might be able to tile the walls, maybe just wainscoting height? What they did in more upscale MCM houses with tiled floors was to lower the subfloor so the tile and hall floor would meet flush. Both Joe and I are in the "one floor covering everywhere" camp. Kind of essential when you are on slab construction. (and a budget) I think the only way for you to make tiled walls work with VCT or lino, is to use some sort of metal trim strip at the base. Something that would allow floor replacement without messing with the tile.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 am

Another option, though not a great one in my opinion, is to use the often seen rubber trim between vct floor and tile. Our house has this treatment in both upstairs rooms that have tubs. Aluminum tile walls down to the floor meeting vct with the transition covered by rubber trim. When we redo them I won't be attempting anything different.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 am

Aluminum tile? The sink/toilet/tub arrangement for the subject bathroom is just as the one shown, my reason for wanting the lower walls tiled is mainly to address the area behind the toilet. I'm thinking that an unbroken path of tile between the vanity backsplash and tub will add some visual length to a pretty small bathroom. The house is on a raised foundation but I don't want to adjust the floor joist to accommodate a tile floor gaining floor level grout lines to keep clean in the process. I suppose I could simply run the tile to the floor and butt up against the tile with VCT and caulk the joint or nail some sort of trim to the floor. Unless what I want to do is just plain dumb I'd think there would be some original examples out there.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I've drawn up a couple of visual aids, which works better...

Number 1:

or Number 2:

The pink represents the tile which will in reality probably be gray. Number 1 gives you two horizontal lines running back to the tub area and a rectangular mirror, in example two there's a disconnect between the vanity and tub area as well as an awkwardly shaped mirror.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:32 am

I like what you did in the first view better but can I offer a suggestion? I wouldnt use a sink that wasnt wall hung in such a small space. Having the area underneath the sink open really "opens things up". Storage can be a problem but we just keep towels and so on in a cabinet just down the hall. Many homes have some type of storage for linens and such, commonly a hall closet near the bedrooms that could be used for this purpose. If there is a built in medicine cabinet in the room that should suffice.

Ps. Yes, aluminum tile:-)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”