MCM Kitchen design using ikea kitchen planner

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

vestaviascott
Modern Fan

MCM Kitchen design using ikea kitchen planner

Postby vestaviascott » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Finally measured off the kitchen in the home we are preparing to renovate. Here's the final kitchen design (using ikea's super handy "kitchen planner tool"):

And here's the kitchen layout as we found it:

The new island is appx where the walker is in the "as is" pic. The wall where the oven is comes down, opening up the space and making room for the island to be the center of the kitchen. Had to move the laundry room door to the left side to accomodate the cabinets housing the fridge, oven and microwave (not shown)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 pm

awe man - that's a great remodel design - but those original wood cabinets look pretty sweet. please donate them to habitat for humanity or sumthing.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

vestaviascott
Modern Fan

Postby vestaviascott » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:34 am

Yes, the wood is in excellent condition considering its over 50 years old. We will be salvaging as much of it as possible to donate.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:59 pm

those are great original cabinets. your new ikea kitchen is OK, but not to mid-century.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:43 am

I agree with Joe. I'd recommend living with your kitchen for a while. If it turns out you need more cabinet/counter top space, you could always get a carpenter to add more that look the same.
I'm really sad that the previous owners here gutted a perfectly good kitchen to replace it with an IKEA one. Yes, it's functional...but such a shame.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:34 pm

scott: after doing this myself (IKEA install), i can see a number of places where some modification would be helpful if not essential... are you looking for input? let us know.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:04 am

Not sure why you want to replace (solid?) hardwood cabinets with IKEA particle board. Those IKEA cabinets may look good initially but they will wear horribly. There's a reason why they cost so little. Are you really going with that farmhouse basin sink? Those will be so dated in a few years. Stainless is getting pretty tired too. It's amazing they haven't updated appliance colors in decades.

You really might want to consider getting creative about using what's there. Many times new flooring, counters and appliances are all a kitchen really needs to feel "fresh".

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 am

I tend to agree with Van about getting to know what, if any, the kitchen needs via living with it a bit (or at least messing around with drawing up some "modification" plans as apposed to "gut and replace" plans). You could always have a carpenter or cabinet guy build any additional pieces/parts you need. Those old site-build cabinets are SO sturdy and rugged. We left our original cabinets in our kitchen, replaced the doors and drawer fronts, and had a carpenter puzzle in a new cabinet+counter-space for a wet-bar...

Before...
http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... efore.html

Work in progress...
http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... uring.html

Finished...
http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... tchen.html

This was a pretty $ saving way to freshen up the look of the kitchen without a major demo. That said, you gotta make the place your own...

Good luck with whatever you eventually do.

-Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 pm

ch wrote:Not sure why you want to replace (solid?) hardwood cabinets with IKEA particle board. Those IKEA cabinets may look good initially but they will wear horribly.

^
what he said...
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

mrcysco
Modern Fan

Postby mrcysco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:30 pm

FWIW, I too remodeled my kitchen with Ikea. Unfortunately, someone had refinish my kitchen in the 80's and the cabinets were no longer original. Rather than go with normal Ikea doors, I ordered custom walnut veneer doors from another company called Scherr's. Ikea cabinet bases and hardware are top notch. Their doors are hit or miss. Here's my before and after in case you want some inspiration:

Before:

After:

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on ikea kitchens now (I did the bulk of the work myself) so feel free to ask questions.

Good Luck!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”