a 1957 post and beam in Palos Verdes

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

pip
Modern Groupie

a 1957 post and beam in Palos Verdes

Postby pip » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Great forum -- glad to have found this place as I'm about to embark on a restoration of this 1957 Smith & Gray post and beam in the hills of Palos Verdes. Purchased from the second owner and outbid a developer that wanted to tear this down and build some hideous 10,000 sq foot Tuscan monstrosity.

The house sits on a hill with a 14K sq foot lot which includes a mediation garden and a greenhouse that resembles a meth lab. Gotta tear the greenhouse down as it violates city ordinance (was probably built without a permit). Perfect spot for a pool someday.

For now, here are some photos. Still kind of giddy that I found this house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58136159@N04/sets/72157636088848655/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Wow. Some of us have a less than 1500 square foot version of this with original tract house features. This one is custom with all those built ins. Love the light trays. Hate the shutters in the clearstory. I wonder if they are an addition by the second owner? Just remember our first rule: live in it before you make any big changes. You never know how something you don't like now is actually really useful. That and just owning a house means fixing things you didn't expect. Wow again. And welcome here.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 am

That is one hell of a house! Congratulations! I wouldn't change a thing. Clean it and move on in. Egads gives good advice, give it a while before making any changes (aside from torching the meth lab:-)

ch

Postby ch » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:07 am

Wow, all that and peacocks too! You are living the dream. Congrats on your purchase and please remember to post the "after" pictures.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 am

Clean it and move on in.

Right on...that house is really awesome as is! It's almost like it does just need a good cleaning and appropriate decor. I'm sure the photos don't show the whole story, but there are so many cool things about that place. And so much appears to be original. I would do the bare minimum to make it functional and comfortable for yourself, fix anything "back" that seems to have been a later alteration that doesn't suit the place, and maintain as much of the original character as possible.

Congrats on finding the house and saving it from destruction!

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:40 pm

what a great place!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”