Removing oil based paint from knotty pine 6x10 beams

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

vestaviascott
Modern Fan

Removing oil based paint from knotty pine 6x10 beams

Postby vestaviascott » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:22 am

Looking for comments and suggestions on the effort involved in restoring these beams and removing the white oil based paint.

We are going to remove the wall left and right of the fireplace and the ceiling in that room has not been painted. It has the original knotted pine beams and tongue and groove wood that's been stained.

This side is what I need to match:

Image[/img]

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:30 am

One thought - I know from experience that often the beams and ceiling are painted to hide stains and damage - don't be surprised.

For removal, using one of the wrapping techniques with a natural product may be preferable to using traditional paint stripper, mostly due to the odor and gasses produced (especially if you're currently living in the home).

You'll probably get most of the paint off using stripper and a scraper, but will eventually need to sand. Know that this is a very messy job and your arms will be above your head so you'll feel it - that is if you decide to do the job yourself.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:47 pm

a heat gun and paint scraper to get the majority off, then steel wool with the heat gun...but those beams look to be "rough cut", meaning paint will be in every possible grain, crevice, and almost impossible to remove...I said ALMOST. The other option is just get 1/4 paneling, cut it and box the beam in and stain.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”