Gutter Help For Flat Roof Carport

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

RetroAttic
Modern Fan

Gutter Help For Flat Roof Carport

Postby RetroAttic » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:54 pm

We have flat roof carport on our Mid-Century architect designed house. The roof is tar and gravel. It has been leaking and causing some problems with a shed door below. We had a roofer come by today to look at the situation. My husband spoke to him and I didn't. The roofer is planning to put a rubber membrane roof on and add a gutter to the front. When I heard that a gutter would be added to the front I freaked out a bit because a gutter we already have on the side doesn't look very pretty. But, it's on the side so isn't that big a deal. But, I want to keep the architectural integrity of our house. I know nothing about gutters or roofing. I did some research online and it seems like box gutters are popular in this scenario. Can anyone provide any advice or information. I will include a photo of the carport.
Image[/img]
Last edited by RetroAttic on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Yes a box gutter is exactly what you want. You either have to have one made by a sheet metal shop or try to find a seamless gutter person that has
a jig that makes that profile. I once had some box gutters made and the downside is that you have to prime and paint them. The upside is that they will be made of much thicker stock that store bought sections or a seamless one. It's also a good idea to have a sheet metal shop either make or source for you a plain smooth downspout instead of the corrugated ones. All this is common on commercial buildings. My MCM has some of both the original plain downspouts and some corrugated that where done as replacements by the last owner's roofer. The plain ones blend in much better. They look just like a vertical piece of wood when painted.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:39 am

Yes Egads...but...why on earth would a roofer need to add an eaves trough do you think? He should be able to direct water in any direction you want shouldnt he? I would ask him to put a slight slope of the roof to the back and side and then add one to the back (instead of the front) and be done with it.

I must be missing something here...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:36 am

Well, the root of the problem here is water getting into the double door storage area shown in the last photo. Seems like the flashing at the house is probably an issue. While one can direct a gentile rain, a downpour or snow & ice build up against the house is probably an issue. I have a similar flat roofed patio cover that is sloped towards the back. But that does not keep rain from coming off the sides. I really want a gutter on all three sides of mine. Water coming off the sides gets blown into the covered area I'm trying to use to protect stuff. In my case the water is not really attacking the house like it looks here or I would have done something by now.

RetroAttic
Modern Fan

Postby RetroAttic » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks you so much for you input!!! Yes the flashing is the issue. The door to the house that can be seen behind the storage is wonky and has some issues which we now realize is probably also related to the water issue. We knew there was some leaking above the storage door but didn't think it was anything major and it was on our to do list. Then the other night in a rain storm we heard a huge banging noise. Water had caused the wood to swell. The whole door frame is "busted" and the door had swung open and was blowing in the wind. It was very difficult to close. It was amazing how quickly it all happened but I guess the problem had been brewing for a while.

I too wondered about directing the water with a slope. But I must say that all of this is far out of my realm of understanding. I barely even know what flashing is and its purpose!! It is good to know we are on track with the box gutters. I will bring that up when the roofer contacts us with the estimate. I plan to make it very clear to him that maintaining the architectural integrity is very important to us. The name of their business is actually "Streamline Seamless Guttering" or something like that. They come well recommended so hopefully they will be able to address our concerns. Keep chiming in if anyone else has thoughts.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Just stress that you really don't want that ogee shape. You may have to replace the one on the side as well. In fact it would be nice to get rid of the upper one as well. But budgets being what they are, it might have to wait.

As to flashing: What is usually done up against a house when a lower roof meets it is an L shape against with another going over that and under the siding. Just remember water wants to go everywhere, especially down. It needs to be directed away. Even if that carport was a sloped shed roof the place it meets the house is a failure point. I imagine you get snow and ice in your neck of the woods that have slowly eaten away at that spot.

As an aside, you might look into using fiberglass doors when replacing those closet doors. That type of door is called a slab door.

Another aside, I might be concerned about mold in the walls along there.

RetroAttic
Modern Fan

Postby RetroAttic » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks for all of your help! We definitely get snow and rain! We actually had quite a monumental storm in our area a few years ago. It is possible there is some residual damage from that. The doors are brand new! They were replaced in May by the previous owners. So, hopefully we can hang onto them for a while. But your idea is something to keep in mind.

The other door needs replacing or reinstallation or something. We are having some work done by an excellent home builder in January while he is on break for the winter. Hopefully he can take care of that issue. He seemed to totally get what we were all about!

It is amazing how much of this house is still original. So we are trying very hard to maintain the original idea while making any necessary updates/ repairs etc. We are not that knowledgable about carpentry/ home repairs etc. So, it is nice to be able to come here and get advice and not have to depend on a contractor who just wants to give you the most modern, new fangled gadgets!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Home Depot is the enemy of MCM!

TerriLynn
Modern Fan

Postby TerriLynn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 pm

We just recently bought a home built in 1952 with open soffits. When we bought it one of the previous owners had added stupid plastic shutters and gutters and downspouts (from Home Depot - ick!) and it seems all of our wood rot and water problems stem from putting gutters where the house was never designed for them, and due to improper installation.

We also have the flat carport butted up against the wood soffits and are debating what to do, but the gutters are gone! Oh, yes, the plastic shutters are too.

I wish you luck in your quest for a solution.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”