Newbie, Intro

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

atomicranchinlouisville
Modern Groupie

Postby atomicranchinlouisville » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Congratulations! That house would look very cool with a nice mid-century door, something similar to what is sold at Crestview.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Right. By which we typically mean a plain solid-core slab, without perforations or glass (except in certain cases), painted appropriately or clear-finished with or without stain. Plain knobset in finish to match hinges and other hardware -- possible escutcheon options. Lever handles a reasonable update. Door is often used as a color accent. Check original architect for clues if yours is to be a through-going restoration.

On this house I see a clear-finished select veneer, or a greenish semi-opaque stain -- depending on other finishes visible on the house, of course. And (as you see) I'd like a single-lute glazed door, if it suited the owner . . .

SDR

TerriLynn
Modern Fan

Updates

Postby TerriLynn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:35 am

Here are a couple updates. With the winter weather, havent gotten much done at all, been mostly concentrating on indoor projects, building linen closet in laundry room, painting bathroom, bar, etc.

When the weather warms up I will be able to finish painting the exterior windows, etc. I am going with a dark gray on the frames. I like the modern look of the gray and darker colors. The left front windows and door frame are done. As for a door, yes, I would like one of the Crestview door! My husband does not want the single-lute door, although I also do like it, the afternoon Texas sun beats on that side of the house, and really heats up the interior, so we will have to put something there not with much window space.

I have made a new house numbers plaque for the front yard. Painted the house trim color. This horizontal design is going to be replicated on both sides of the house,to about 4 ft., to visually widen the house, add that modern linear quality and also for a little added privacy (junk hiding) at the rear of the yard.

The porch supports will also be switched out the spring. And of course complete the landscaping.

Image[/img]

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 am

Excellent ! Good ideas all around. (A knowing modern touch would be to place the numerals off-center, echoing the slight asymmetry of the house ? But I imagine you played with that.)

Why does the porch roof seem to be rising, to its supported corner ? Put a level on that for me, will you ?

Keep up the good work.

SDR

TerriLynn
Modern Fan

Postby TerriLynn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:40 am

Oh, I see what you mean about the porch roof. I will check that out!

Numbers off center... I didnt play with that, but I can. Where would you put the numbers, upper left?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am

Yeah -- A little off-center to the left, say at the 1/3 point (center of number set), but on the same level as now. I like the horizontal-board texture, and the color . . . !

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 am

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=bd7 ... TrCH80i8Po

Here's an example of a horizontal-board modernist fence. The spacing here is a bit larger than yours, which has maybe a 90 percent opaqueness factor. An
alternate giving 100º + coverage is one where there are boards on both sides of the rails, staggered in placement.

A trick seldom seen, to eliminate the appearance of the verticals in a fence like yours, is to paint those posts and framing members black -- at least on the
front face -- before applying the boards. The slats truly seem to float. In the case of the fence in the linked photo, I'd blacken just the intermediate vertical
spacer, as the posts are part of the structural composition . . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

TerriLynn
Modern Fan

Postby TerriLynn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tip on painting the posts black. That is something I will definitely try and see what that looks like! That is such a great look, I love that fencing!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”