Closets between bedrooms

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Birdwelliot
Modern Fan

Closets between bedrooms

Postby Birdwelliot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 am

My only photo is on my computer not on a website, so forgive me.
I have two bedrooms on the end of the house with a wood divider that has closets staggered facing each bedroom with a large ledge above each at the clerestory windows and the peak of the ceiling.
What is this "ledge" called and any ideas what could it be used for? Whatever is placed up there will be visible from the street through the pie-shaped clerestories. I'm afraid it will look cluttered but the space is large. Thanks!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 am

Here in the Cliff May Ranchos in Long Beach those are called Jack & Jill bedrooms. I used storage boxes from Ikea. Large baskets with lids are used in our Master bedroom that also has closets that stop shy of the ceiling. But those baskets are expensive. The boxes I used in the bedrooms are:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20224283/

In my house those bedrooms face the side and not the street though.

Birdwelliot
Modern Fan

Postby Birdwelliot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:33 pm

I always thought Jack-and-Jill bedrooms had a bathroom between them. Funny--the Ikea Kassett boxes are our favorite storage item. I'm just afraid the sun will deteriorate the cardboard. I could always paint them with some UV resistant paint I suppose. Hey, I'm handy :)

My husband and I are looking forward to a drive through the Ranchos the Eichler tracts to view the Christmas lights. We've been busy "unremuddling" our MCM (just about very horrible thing you can do to an MCM has been done by previous owners) but next year, we're hoping to design a fine vintage display.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”