Palm Springs Getting Reproduction Mid-Century Eichler Houses

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

Palm Springs Getting Reproduction Mid-Century Eichler Houses

Postby scowsa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 pm

KUD Properties, a PS-based developer, has made an agreement to license original plans by the prominent mid-century developer to build a brand new Eichler house. Depending on how it's received, it's possible that KUD could build up to a neighborhood's-worth of the houses. (No word on which one of the designs will be used for the trial run.)

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/03/palm_springs_getting_reproduction_midcentury_eichler_houses.php#more
scowsa

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue May 20, 2014 5:29 am

Wow interesting, I'd figure it would be a matter of time before someone would do this. Palm Springs I suppose would make sense to break ground on this type of project since the Alexander 2's did so well. I'll be watching this one closely. Next up Cliff May.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:35 pm

I think a present day interpretation might be very interesting to see how the newer materials integrate with MCM designs.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:48 am

Surprised this hasn't happened in Palm Springs a lot sooner, I've often had fantasies about an entire subdivision of early eighties crap getting leveled and replaced by a present day interpretation of a Cliff May prefab or P&K rectangle. Mod' I-fy, how do you know the Alexander 2 did well? I can't recall reading much about them and have no idea how many ended up getting built, links?

Choosing to recreate an Eichler strikes me as somewhat odd, considering that as far as MCMs go something with that much glass would be most difficult if not impossible to convincingly recreate with regard to modern day Title 24 regs. Per what little I read about the Alexander 2 William Krisel was actually involved in updating the original plans to modern standards, which probably explains why they didn't turn out like an ugly, modern day house that only resembled an original Alexander.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 pm

considering the Eichler family is not involved in building these homes, does not make sense to call the Eichlers.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06 am

I wonder if fans of original Colonial style houses were geeked when the first subdivision of "reproduction" Colonials were going to be built?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:23 am

classic form wrote:I wonder if fans of original Colonial style houses were geeked when the first subdivision of "reproduction" Colonials were going to be built?

unfortunately reproduction colonials are still being created lol

just not sure why powdered wigs didn't make a comeback

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:55 am

Dan O. wrote: Mod' I-fy, how do you know the Alexander 2 did well? I can't recall reading much about them and have no idea how many ended up getting built, links?

Sorry no links just my personal account as I personally visited the site.
Yeah suprisingly not alot of fan-fair, even locally advertising signage was, although present somewhat minimal, you literally had to know what Alexander II's were to understand that they were not referring to another McMansion subdivision thats popping up all over the place out there. I spend time in PS every summer (actually Palm Desert my second home). I talked to a realtor who mentioned that they were moving them fairly well at the time (two years ago now, many were already occupied many were still under construction). They're aren't many in the subdivision, while I can't recall the number of homes it felt like maybe 20+?, again half the site was still under construction at the time, and I haven't been back in there since.
I felt it was a kinda funky setup because they are sharing space with another older subdivision within a gated community, much like an additional branch within. After looking at them up close and personal though I was pretty pleased with the results, complete with the signature twin palms in the front yard (note ,significantly smaller front yard).

However as was mentioned regarding these rumored modern day Eichlers, if there are no key members involved to sign off on it, I have a feeling some important element will be lost or significantly dumbed down.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:10 pm

to use the word "eichler" is like grave robbing.

I like to see new homes built in the Modernist credo, but I cannot see why the term "eichler" needs to be used. Honesty is a major part of Modernism, or at least it was. :(

http://www.deserteichler.com/

does anyone know if they have rights to use Eichler, Anshen + Allen and Claude Oakland and the plans? strange.

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:32 pm

I think it would work if they proceeded like they did the Alexander II's, where William Krisel was involed to ensure that his original works weren't grossly watered down. Although Alexander is also a dead developer the name is obviously a brand which I feel make this acceptable.

They can use the Eichler name as a brand as well but it has to be done correctly i.e. have Anshen+Allen involved and use their designs since they are still around that way proper respect can be given. A. Quincy Jones is dead so don't use his out of respect, not sure about Claude Oakland. If not done this way, in my eyes the project has a great chance at an absolute fail a being what it truely could be. Do it right or don't do it at all. After visiting the Alexander II's I now truely believe these sort of throwback projects can be done successfully ONLY if the original architects are involved in the project, from start to fininsh.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Desert Eichlers

Postby Chimay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Well, the first one was built, to the specifications of plans of one of the Claude Oakland designs. It was sold on the first day it was listed, for $1.3M.

I met with the developer (Troy Kudlac), and toured the home. I think it is very close to the originals in the materials and feel, and only a few modifications were made. It is interesting to note that they were not required to do anything to update the plans to conform with modern codes.

Also, I think the term Eichler is acceptable in this case simply because they used a design that was developed by Eichler. Since it's not a new design, it's appropriate.

Anyway, I was only there a short time just before sunset, but here are a few shots I was able to grab as the sun went down...

Desert Eichler by Chimay Bleue, on Flickr

eichler2 by Chimay Bleue, on Flickr

eichler 4 by Chimay Bleue, on Flickr

eichler by Chimay Bleue, on Flickr
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:44 pm

didn't monique @ the newly revived Eichler Homes have a hand in this?

and (chimay) ... beautiful shots!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”