Neutra's Kaufmann House in Palm Springs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
abattish
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Neutra's Kaufmann House in Palm Springs

Postby abattish » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:14 pm

SkipHome
Modern Master

Re: Neutra's Kaufmann House in Palm Springs

Postby SkipHome » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:35 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:13 pm

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite

Postby FranklinHills » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:31 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:01 am

abattish
Modern Fan

Guess I was wrong...

Postby abattish » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:54 am

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite

Postby FranklinHills » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:37 am

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:12 am

allen
Modern Master

kaufman

Postby allen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:41 pm

Right next door to the Kaufman house is the Loewy house ( Albert Frey ) and closeby, a turn a block or two is the Edrs house ( Stewart Williams ) and the Palevsky house ( Craig Ellwood ) all shown in that Palm Springs Modern book. If you're going back, take a digy camera with you and post the pictures here.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:27 pm

If my PS architecture map was correct, just down the street is a cool house by Fickett. Love the entryway with the black gates!

Skiphome: no prob, but I think many people would consider little tuscuny a "housing development", regardless of plot sizes or design.

Words like neighborhood, housing development, subdivision are interchangeable for most folks.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:56 pm

unfortunately, the largest developer in the coachella valley has his eyes on the area around the kaufman house and all the others mentioned. i believe the edris house might really end up being in the middle of a housing development. john wessman (the developer) is planning dozens of homes between the tram road and west racquet club drive.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:57 pm

joe: where is the fickett?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:41 pm

I believe the house by Fickett (a large custom house) is east of the Kaufman House, not too far away. I am searching for my PS MODCOM map to get the actual address...

Any preliminary plans by wessman yet? Will he show ANY sensitivity towards the existing built environment?

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:46 am

thanks joe, i should have looked at my own map - i am a member!
as for wessman, what i know is that the ps modcom is more concerned about his projects than anyone else. the numbers of significant, historical and strategically located properties he owns is really scary. to my knowledge he has not shown any sensitivity to the preservation community. ps modcom is monitoring every move he makes with the city's (co-opted) planning commission).

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:00 pm

here PS Fickett...

George Alexander House, 1951
424 Vista Chino Road

It's interesting that Fickett designed this home for Alexander. I wonder what's the story behind it. You know, Fickett designed for dozens of builders. I wonder if he did any other work for Alexander...

here's the entry
http://www.barthlow.com/beforeafter/fickettps.jpg

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Fickett & the Alexanders

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:07 pm

Yes, it is really interesting that Fickett did the house for George Alexander. I suspect that he would have done work for George with developments in Los Angeles, as Fickett was one of the most important tract house architects in the country.

I suspect this is a generational thing. Just prior to the Alexanders discovering Palm Springs, Palmer & Krisel architects started doing design work for the Alexanders. Bob Alexander (son of George) was about the same age as William Krisel. They hit it off quite well and Palmer & Krisel started doing all the Alexanders design work. Perhaps squeezing Fickett out. Unfortunately, Fickett and the Alexanders are dead, and documentation is lacking, and so we may never know.

With regards to the previous thread about the Kaufmann House in Palm Springs, the same visual argument can be made about the Grace Lewis Miller house by Richard Neutra. Miller owned all the property on the west side of Indian Canyhon, between the Racquet Club and the El Mirador Hotel. When Julius Shulman photographed the Miller House, it was with the same endless desert view as with the Kaufmann House. The visual encroachment on the Miller house is much worse than that of Kaufmann.

Also, a prevous poster got it correct - the purpose of the perimiter landscape around Kaufmann is to block the view of the encroaching houses. These now are only viewable from the Gloriette.

TM

Botany500
Modern Socialite

Postby Botany500 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:54 pm

The Fickett was at one time owned by Jack Benny. At least that's what the listing agent told me when it was for sale a few years ago.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 am

PRESERVATION MAGAZINE

Sweet Sorrow
Elizabeth Edwards Harris on restoring a masterpiece—and letting it go
By Eric Wills | From Preservation | July/August 2008

Elizabeth Edwards Harris at her Kauffman House

Credit: David Glomb
Before saving modernist houses was fashionable, Elizabeth Edwards Harris and her former husband, Brent, established a glowing precedent. In 1992, the couple purchased the Kaufmann House, Richard Neutra's 1946 International-style jewel in Palm Springs, Calif., for $1.5 million. They not only saved it from demolition but also embarked on a five-year, $5 million restoration of everything from the terrazzo floor to the Douglas fir ceiling. Last year, after filing for divorce, the Harrises announced their decision to auction the house. Preservation spoke to Elizabeth poolside about her planned departure, a prospect she faced "with a mixture of regret and relief."..

http://www.preservationnation.org/magaz ... orrow.html

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

HOME OF THE WEEK
Neutra's Modernist masterpiece

Designed by Richard Neutra, a pillar of 20th century Modernism, the Kaufmann house in Palm Springs is listed for sale for $12.975 million. Its sleek form, sliding panels and glass-and-stone aesthetic helped shape the postwar Modernism movement.
His Palm Springs classic is fully restored, down to the stones that were excavated from a Utah quarry for the chimney and walls. The property can be yours for $12.975 million.

By Diane Wedner
October 26, 2008

Richard Neutra, a pillar of 20th century Modernism, is known for his sleek, glass-sheathed designs that take advantage, to beautiful effect, of the surrounding natural landscape.

The Kaufmann house in Palm Springs, commissioned by Pittsburgh department store magnate Edgar J. Kaufmann, was built in 1946 and is considered one of the Viennese-born architect's greatest works. Its sleek form, sliding panels and glass-and-stone aesthetic helped shape the postwar Modernism movement.

When Brent Harris and Beth Edwards Harris bought the property in 1993, however, for about $1.5 million, the home needed a ton of work. It had sat vacant for years ...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... 8759.story

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:36 pm

My memory has faded somewhat over the past year, but ...

I took several pictures of the Kaufmann house last winter and others on the PS Modern map:

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/view ... page/1/15/

I remember looking for the Fickett house at 424 Vista Chino but couldn't see it from the road. I thought it was next door to the Kaufmann house (470 Vista Chino).

The house with the black gates caught my eye as I drove by and I stopped to take a picture, but I recall it was further east near Palm Canyon Drive?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”