Is Cinder Block an affordable option for exterior material?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DamonBoost
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is Cinder Block an affordable option for exterior material?

Postby DamonBoost » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:28 pm

I have been looking for pretty much the cheapest exterior material to use. Would Cinder block be it? what are some of my options for insulating cinder block? I was thinking of using a 2x4 frame on the cinder block (interior) with insulation b/t the block and the sheetrock on walls where i wanted the cinder block not exposed.. I guess what are if any options for the exterior..

thanks in advance..
::damon::

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:01 am

yes, cinder block is cheap, but it's not cheap to set it unless you got skills. A block wall not set perfectly can look horrible. Strait stack looks best.

I would look into stucco too.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I'm no const. expert

Postby modfan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:38 am

But I know that unless the block is reinforced with rebar-it doesn't hold up well in earthquakes.

And if you look in the gallery-the Palmer and Kriesel homes used brick very effectively and Eichler used some brick in his homes.

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:04 pm

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:28 pm

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:54 pm

Yep I have been getting a subscription to Dwell for two years.. =) Metropolitan home too..

I am also on the Modern living board and was a frequent lurker on the dwell board =)

I have drawn my own plans and am planning on using the 3D architect 5.0 software software to create the actual usable plans. I have already created one home just for practice and it came out great.. Also those plans Gregory did are awesome.. I looked at them in the past..

Also own numerous books on lofts and mod houses.. so i am not a complete rookie =) i am just trying to keep it as cheap as i can.. and hoping to find some awesome creative alternatives in materials (inexpensive hopefully) as well as keeping the raw / mod look..

the climate I live in is very humid, hot in the summers, and cold in the winters.. so effieciency is important.. thats why I am not sure about the cinder block, or if i can make it effiecient and not spend a fortune..

here are some of my rather mod skate shop (at least for a skate shop) :D

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:13 pm

I grew up in Miami in a concrete block house. It was a poured slab, concrete block exterior walls (coated in sand textured stucco) and a trussed roof. The concrete blocks extended all the way up the gables on either end of the house (for windstorm protection). The house held up admirably in Hurricane Andrew.

For many years I just thought this was how houses were built; even now, I own a frame house in California and can't help but think how unsubstantial it seems; I mean, it's just wood, some tarpaper, some chicken wire and some stucco.

Some things to keep in mind in a block house-- You're going to have a slab floor. Make sure the water supply pipes aren't under the slab; we had a leak and had to do some major surgery to the house to repair what would otherwise have been very simple to fix. Also, it's a big deal to try to add windows or other aperatures; plan ahead!
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:16 pm

Your skate shop looks bitchin' (or is it shreddin'- man I don't know what them crazy youngsters are saying these days). If you've got some land, and zoning isn't an issue, how bout going the industrial route? Steel building companies do some neat stuff with kit buildings, and you could buy parts out of a kit, and combine it with some masonry. Wish I could do it.

BTW, there is a great book on loft style stuff called "High Tech" I found my copy at a thrift store.

Also, the best name I've ever seen for a skate shop was one up in Santa Barbara- it's called "The Church of Skatan."

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”