Craig Elwood

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

And don't forget Craig Ellwood!

Postby Chimay » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:15 am

Craig Ellwood is one of the most quintessential California architects.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:20 am

OK, so it looks like somebody beat me to it! I always wondered who had designed that house in Matchstick Men. That place was great.

We should start a forum on MCM houses in movies, TV shows, and commercials. Like the houses in the Pizza Hut, NetFlicks, Dish TV, and Lincoln Navigator/Aviator commercials... Actually, it seems like most commercials these days are filmed in MCM homes...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:01 am

oh yes, Ain. Mar Vista, Park Planned Homes, etc

When I think of Ellwood, I always think of Texas since every bio says he from there. But that was his childhood. He is, indeed, a left coaster.

Speaking of Ellwood, I read something strange not too long ago that Craig Ellwood was just the office name and many people in the Ellwood office answered as Craig Ellwood. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have only read a little bit on Ellwood architecture, not the person.

I didn't mean to leave out those greats out of the list I randomly spewed forth. There are many more. Maybe worthy of another thread?
Last edited by Joe on Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimay

Would be a good thread, agreed.

Postby Chimay » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:10 am

To answer your Ellwood question, I hadn't heard that others answered the office phones as him. But as you probably know, I don't think he was ever certified as an architect, technically speaking, so his army of assistants usually did the implementation and drafting of his designs. Perhaps that's where the rumour comes from? Or perhaps it's true? Given how eccentric he was, I would not be surprised.

bearch
Modern Groupie

Postby bearch » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:24 am

I understand that Craig Elwood was not actually his real name - so maybe that's where it came from.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Craig Ellwood

Postby scottkaycee » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:25 pm

Craig Ellwood adopted this name at the age of 25, was born John Burke of Clarendon, Texas. Flirted with an acting career. Post WW II he started a construction company to aid war veterans in obtaining home loans. In front of their office was a liquor store "Lords and Elwood" (one "L") They added Craig for effect. Burke later adopted the name to give the company a "human" face ala "Remmington Steele" Paraphrased frrom"2G International Architecture Review : Craig Ellwood 15 Houses N.12/1999/IV

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:05 am

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:57 am

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Craig Ellwood

Postby scottkaycee » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:45 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:26 am

Chimay

Ellwood in San Diego

Postby Chimay » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:26 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:34 am

Chimay

Agree with you there, Joe

Postby Chimay » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:42 am

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:41 pm

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Re: Craig Ellwood Paintings

Postby scottkaycee » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:59 pm

Robert Bacon, AIA-E
Modern Fan

Craig Ellwood Correction

Postby Robert Bacon, AIA-E » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:14 am

See "Craig Ellwood Correction" on ModCom Main Discussion Forum, posted Oct. 21, 2004.

Robert E. Bacon, AIA-E

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”