1954 BH&G Home for all America

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

txmod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1954 BH&G Home for all America

Postby txmod » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:12 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wow

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:01 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Looks pretty cool

Postby modfan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:27 am

Altho the bedrooms and dining room are kinda smallish. But for 54 probably was kinda ahead of it's time-having a space for a dryer when most homes didn't and even a broom closet which some builders now seem to forget completely. And the 'activity room' would evolve into the family room or in some Eichlers-the Multipurpose room. And the play court-you see it on the Eichler X-100 as well. Did a terraserver-usa search on the Burbank address and it may still be there altho maybe added onto and may have a pool.

The featured pic on the glenbrook valley-all I can say is 'shades of the Lautner Desert Hot Springs Hotel'-those steel beam on that house paint em red orange and you got it!

modfan

I did a drive by

Postby modfan » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:43 am

the Burbank one. It still looks pretty original from the front and in pretty good condition. I wonder if the current owners are aware of the provenance of their house. When you do a terraserver-usa.com search the actual house is a little further toward the T intersection than it shows-I guess they don't want the public to get the 'exact' location.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

“Home for All Americaâ€￾

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:13 am

Welcome txmod to Lotta Living! I have been enjoying the Gleenbrook Valley website, even before your post. We are happy to have more representation from the mid section of the country.

I just love these magazine “show homeâ€￾ projects. BH&G, House and Home, House Beautiful, House and Garden, even Parenting Magazine got into the act. Don't forget about the House that Home Built by NBC, the Revere Quality Home Program and the USG Research Village Projects.

I recently met a man who was extensively involved with the House Beautiful Pacesetter House. All of these "show home" houses were fun projects. What an optimistic time for residential construction!

If I won the lottery I would spend three months researching this topic and then travel around the country finding these houses and photographing them for a book.

I looked at the BH&G article closely (and slowly :wink:) and noticed that there was one of these show homes in the Kansas City area. I plan on going to find it sometime soon.

Also of note is the Colorado location and the reference to builder Hawkins. This is the builder who built Arapahoe Acres and after remembering a reference to BH&G in the Arapahoe Acres History, I verified that it is the “Home for All Americaâ€￾ design and was built by Hawkins within Arapahoe Acres.
http://www.arapahoeacres.org/history.htm
(scroll down the page 3/4 of the way to the bottom and look for the BH&G logo)

Maybe there are other builders of interest on the list. Has anyone looked? I did not recognize the name of the KC builder.

Architect Hugh Stubbins also designed a BH&G “Idea Home of the Yearâ€￾ in 1955 that was built by over 100 builders across the country including Hawkins in Arapahoe Acres according to an article about it in the October 1955 issue of House and Home.

According to the same article, the ’54 “Home for All Americaâ€￾ was viewed in the flesh by over 2 million people nationwide and 4 million readers.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

academic exercise

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:41 pm

As an academic (and transcriptive) exercise, here is a list of housing developments, with their architects and builders, as found in "Before You Buy a House" (Callender; Crown, 1953):

HOLLIN HILLS, Alexandria, VA; Charles M Goodman; Robert C Davenport
ORCHARD PARK, Branford, CT; Peter Powers Hale; The Builders Group, Inc
DILLON WOODS, Cincinnati, OH; John R Schott; Robert A Deshon,
Associate; Dillon's. Inc
CONANTUM, Concord, MA; Carl Koch & Assoc; Conantum Realty Trust
WYNNWOOD, Dallas, TX; DeWitt and Swank; American Home Realty Co
ARAPAHOE ACRES, Denver, CO; Eugene R Sternberg; Edward B Hawkins
SPLIT ROCK RIDGE, E Norwich, Long Island, NY; Furno & Harrison; Vinmar
Construction Corp
HOLMES RUN, Fairfax Co, VA; Keyes, Smith, Satterlee & Lethbridge;
Luria Brothers
PINE SPRING, Fairfax Co -- ditto
Freeport, Long Island, NY; Huson Jackson; Kee-Lee Homes, Inc
*Oak Forest, Houston, TX; MacKie & Kamrath; Frank W Sharp Const Co
PRAIRIE VILLAGE, Johnson County, KS; David B Runnells; Donald H
Drummond
Long Beach, NY; George Nemeny; Gordon B Roth
MAR VISTA, LA, CA; Gregory Ain; Joseph Johnson & Alfred Day, Assoc:
Advance Const Co
Mamaroneck, NY; Allen & Edwin Kramer; Alvin Lukashok, Inc
BAR HARBOUR, Massapequa Park, LI, NY; George Nemeny; Chess &
Siegel
ROBERT MORRIS PARK, Morristown, NJ; Nemeny & Geller; Standard Holding
Co of NJ
CHANNING PARK, Palo Alto, CA; Anshen & Allen; Jones & Emmons; Eichler
Homes
CHARLESTON MEADOWS, Palo Alto, CA; Anshen& Allen; Eichler Homes
FAIRMEADOW, Pali Alto, CA; A Quincy Jones & Frederic E Emmons;
Eichler Homes
LADERA, MenloPark, CA; ditto
MAYBELL GARDENS and MOREPARK, Palo Alto and San Jose, CA; Anshen &
Allen; Jones & Emmons; Eichler Homes
VISTA VAL VERDE, Provo, UT; W Rowe Smith; Livable Homes, Inc
Salt Lake City, UT; Fred L Markham; W Rowe Smith; Federal Homes, Inc
San Antonio, TX; Milton A Ryan; Milton A Ryan
+San Antonio, TX; Keppel O Small; G S McCreless
*San Antonio, TX; Cocke, Bowman & York; G S McCreless
*San Bruno, CA; Joseph Esherick; Williams & Burrows
*Siesta Key, Sarasota, FL; Twichell & Rudolph; Lamolithic Industries
NORWOOD VILLAGE, Seattle, WA; Chiarelli & Kirk; Bassetti & Morse;
C Weldon Gwinn
*Wedgwood, Seattle, WA; Chiarelli & Kirk; Albert Balch
*South Bend, IN; L Morgan Yost; Place & Co
Operation Trade Secrets House; Ned A Cole; National Association of
Home Builders
*Upper Brookville, LI, NY; John Hancock Callender; Allen & Edwin Kramer,
Assoc; Cy Williams, Inc

* are single houses
+ is one of two experimental houses sponsored by the Housing and Home Finance Agency and Southwest Research Institute

Development names (where given) are CAPITALIZED

SDR :cheers:
Last edited by SDR on Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:52 pm

The trades got into the act as well. The concrete industry sponsored and promoted "Horizon Houses" of which I'm familiar with 2 locations and the steel industry did the same.

modfan

from previous post

Postby modfan » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:08 pm

txmod
Modern Master

Parents Home magazine House

Postby txmod » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:09 pm

On the recent past.org site, they have a link for the Glenbrook site, the photo shown there, which is also featured on the photo page, was a Parent's magazine home. It was also built in Illinois. They did the Parade of Homes again in 1956 in there (Glenbrook) and I got this info from the brochure from 1956. I felt very fortunate that one of the original residents let me make copies of it.

JAB

Postby JAB » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:48 pm

modfan, yes, that's 1 of the 2 that I'm familiar with and is attributed to local Claremont area Architect Fred McDowell.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

KC BH&G "Home for All America"

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:10 pm

Here is a view of the Kansas City Better Homes & Garden "Home for All America" by Architect Robert A Little (Cleveland). This appears to be a variation of the seperate garage version that creates an outdoor room between the house and garage. In this version the garage is rotated roughly 45 degrees off axis with the House to fit the site which occurs at a lazy 45 degree corner intersection. The metal roof over this outdoor space may or may not be an add on as the design originally called for trellis like structure there. The house is in amazing shape as it is in a somewhat prestigous neighborhood in the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City.

And later that same evening:
Unfortunately I am unable to get the picture to post here. You can see the image in the residential neighborhood gallery in a new folder titled Kansas City Modern. I will post other images from my own archive.

http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/Kansas-City-Modern

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

modfan

I'll try and post the pic of

Postby modfan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:08 am

The Burbank one soon. It's built with the garage at the front/side creating an L shaped plan.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:51 am

I forgot the Life magazine Houses!

modfan

Is one of those

Postby modfan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:11 am

Life houses in the Highlands in San Mateo Eichler development down the street from the X-100?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

BH&G

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:45 am

Looking again at the Sept '54 BH&G posted by txmod, noting the locations where Five Star Home 2409's were built, in Kansas we have one at 4403 Homestead Drive, Indian Hills, and another at 2225 (?) North Fountain, Wichita. On pp 60 and 61 are exterior views ("Variations"); these two appear to be photos of models (note car in carport) with real foliage and clouded-sky backdrops. Neat! Other views are photos of actual houses. Would 100% color photos have been unusual in magazines of the day?

I also like the continuous lighted translucent hall ceiling. Also noted: Little chose a bay module of 9'-8" for these houses. I wonder what the reaction would have been to the lack of "solid wall" between the multi-use space and one of the bedrooms -- a clever arrangement, functionally.

SDR

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:55 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Parade of Homes Brochure

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 pm

Tx -- In the '56 Parade of Homes Brochure you posted [see top] which page illustrates your local BH&G house?

I extend my condolences for (y)our loss, in this time of Holiday Cheer. . . (imagine in Forest Green Christmas-card copperplate script)

There's a lot wrong with people: not enough of then are Modernists!

SDR *** ***

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:56 pm

Ouch! They decided a full Home Depot remodel job was in order for the local '54 BH&G house. Love those windows....like I love a good paper cut!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Happy (Ouch) New Year

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:15 pm

Ouch, indeed! What's next, Corinthian pilasters and used brick? (Don't suppose they could jack up that sagging roof while they're at it, do you? Maybe they're waiting for the styrofoam Gothic flying buttresses to be installed!)

Goodbye Modern, Hello Hamburger (Isn't that a book?)

SDR :cheers:

modfan

Now it's just another....

Postby modfan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:15 pm

Home Depot remuddle.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:10 am

I bet EIFS (dryvit) or maybe vinyl siding will be next!

It might be time for a mercy killing!

The uninformed destroy another one in the name of progress!
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:13 am

Have you thought of leaving a link to this site and thread on their door? You could ring their doorbell and then run?

How can these people be educated?

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:02 pm

It has taken everything in me not to say something to them. But what would you say at this point? I am afraid my head would spin on my shoulders like Linda Blair and spit out spam & pea soup or something. Unfortunately not everybody understands.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:09 pm

I know -- a beautiful big "builder's billboard" planted on the front lawn, with full-color repro of the illustration from original magazine article, and a "Coming Soon!" headline in the correct font, and the architect's name. . .and a photo of the whole thing, submitted to The Old House Journal's "Remuddling" editor.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:14 pm

I'm taking some pics of neighborhood mcm houses - you won't believe some of the redneck bastardizations going on around here. It's amazing.

-- John

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

HI

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:55 am

Hey, John, and Happy N Y. Yes, I'm afraid we would believe it, but fire away. Prepared to Cringe! Some here are trying to think of ways to get the attention of/appeal to such homeowners -- and their realtors? -- in a positive and beneficial way. . .like "papering" their trees, flaming bags of [susbstance unknown] on their doorstep, etc, etc!

After-and Before photos, published as "public announcement" in the local paper? Any ideas?

SDR :roll:

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:10 pm

I believe it. As a realtor I can't understand why other realtors don't snap to the fact that there is an audience for these homes. Right now there is one of the best mods in Memorial Bend for sale. It has some foundation issues, but in Houston's gumbo soil, most slab houses that age do. You fix it, get a warranty, and live happily ever after. She is marketing it as a tear down! There is another one by a prominent designer here, (Lars Bang), and the same story. In both cases, they haven't even bothered to post photos of the houses on the MLS. It's even worse in Glenbrook Valley. The house next door to the BH&G house is pictured on the glenbrookvalley.com web site on the photo page, 3rd row far right.(7919 Glenview) The photo is of the rear of the house, boomerang shaped and all glass. it was for sale on MLS recently, Do you think there was a photo of that fabulous rear facade? Of course not. I took flyers around on it last summer when it was for sale, even though it wasn't my listing. I just couldn't stand it! Someone else ended up selling that one for $116k. If I had the listing, I think I could have gotten more....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:02 pm

So, it's an education / awareness-raising issue -- with something targeting the profession? The point being, the ones missing out are losing money, for themselves and for their clients. As someone not presently shopping for such a property, I say. . .bring it on! Some convincing copy, a few pertinent examples such as the one above, a new organization: The Committee to Save Modernism? Or would an existing organization want to take up the idea. . .

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:24 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”