need a cool platform bed

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

need a cool platform bed

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:32 pm

sid
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A solution...?

Postby sid » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:06 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:13 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:29 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:32 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Cheap modern

Postby SDR » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:49 pm

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:43 pm

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:40 pm

yes, we wanted platform, yes we wanted dark walnut coloring, yes we wanted built-well-enough, and yes, we wanted cheap.

West Elm $600 with shipping. It was originally $600 for a King with $100 shipping but they had a sale 2 weeks later so we got it on sale (they honor sale prices for purchases made up to a month prior). They have their dimensions on their website so you can see if it will accomodate a Cal king. The design they have now is slightly different than what we got.

I have not ordered anything else from West Elm and I have heard that their customer service isn't the greatest. But they delivered the bed punctually and it looked to be made well enough. We are very happy with it.

So, yes, we have a platform, yes we got dark walnut, yes it was made well, yes it was cheap(er),.....oh! and yes, we have mulitple bruises on all of our shins!!

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:11 pm

I just got a new catalog in the mail today from "West Elm" that had two platform beds:

King for $599 in wood
http://ww1.westelm.com/cat/pip.cfm?temp ... d&area=shp

and a King in metal for $500
http://ww1.westelm.com/cat/pip.cfm?temp ... d&area=shp

Shipping is around $125 for these - I have no idea about the quality or anything like that, however some of the MCM knock-off items they have are interesting. If nothing else it may give you some ideas. They both have multiple solid pine slats so they should be fairly comfortable.

-- Best, John

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:23 pm

there was a great discussion on platform beds at the old dwell board about a year or so ago - anyone know if that was archived anywhere?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:03 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:10 am

We looked at the West Elm stuff, and I have some of their stuff in the house already. I like West Elm, but you really only get 2 color choices...white or chocolate. The chocolate is too dark. I considered getting the metal frame platform bed, but they, of course were "backordered" - seems like the story with everything I want to buy.

I looked into building, but the wood would have ended up costing me about $400, for what i wanted to do, so I'm still stuck. Haiku Designs has a great bed, but it's like $800. I may just save myself the trouble and order that one. I don't know, I'm running out of ideas.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:09 am

The current issue of Fine Woodworking magazine has and article about some bed building techniques, not specifically aimed at platform beds but still useful. Get yourself some hardwood veneered plywood and draw up a simple plan; depending on your skills you could have a really nice bed for a few hundred bucks. All decently made furniture is expensive, unless it's used and ugly.

rickstar
Modern Fan

Postby rickstar » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:38 pm

I designed and built a platform bed about 2 years ago. I used apple plywood which costs more than regular plywood, but it doesn't have any voids in it and is just a better quality all around. The only real cost for me was having the legs and headboard supports welded. I just gave the plans to a local welder and it was a piece of cake for them.

If someone can tell me how to post an image I'll put one up of the plans and the finished product.[/img]

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:10 pm

"Apple-Ply" (alder or poplar core multi-ply with maple faces) is an excellent material-- typically available in 1/2"and 3/4" thickness. The edge can be sanded and finished, and looks a lot better than standard plywood.

My suggestion above for a bed made of doors is based on the notion of minimum cutting, simple joinery and no waste. As plywood is made in 4' x 8' (or 10') sheets, getting a 5 or 6 foot by 7 or 7 1/2 foot surface involves several cuts and some waste. The doors would provide a nice thickness and would cost considerably less than the price of two sheets of 3/4" ply. Although I recommended solid-core doors, lighter and cheaper hollow-core doors should work fine, remembering that the only places where screws will hold is near the edges. The base box could be made of shelving -- plywood, MDF, etc (about 11 1/2" wide), or prefinished 1/2" Apple-Ply (blonde maple) sold at commercial lumber yards; it's used by cabinet shops to make drawer boxes (use 1/2" screws for the four interior angle-brackets at each corner) and comes 4, 6 and 12 inches wide.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”