Original windows...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sid
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Original windows...

Postby sid » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:45 pm

I'm replacing the original windows in my house that was built in 1960. I would like the new ones to look like the originals, which are metal framed.

Any suggestions where I might be able to find such windows in Socal?

Thanks,

SID

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:11 pm

I've gotten a good quote from a large company called Binswanger Glass.

http://binswangerglass.com/

They have showrooms in most states and are the actual manufacturor. I went with adouble pane low-E as the window of choice. Since they custom make the window they can accomodate unusual shapes (my clerestory windows are trapezoidal shaped, hugging the angular roofline). The windows have small metal frames that can easily hide behide moulding.

It doesn't appear that they have showrooms in Cali, but you may be able to use them as a reference for pricing or they may ship freight from their production facility. It's worth a shot anyway.

-- Best, John

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:36 pm

sid, there has been a ton of discussion on windows in the past. I suggest you use the search function to review those threads.

Also, you may review the Eichler Network for window replacement brands, then search for SoCal reps.

Window replacement, especially metal windows, will be pretty expensive.

Chimay

Windows

Postby Chimay » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:30 am

As Joe said, check with past discussions. I just replaced some of my windows in a 1960 P&K with new, aluminum framed sliders from Window Master /Jeld-Wenn, which is based in San Diego. They look nearly identical to the originals, and were built to spec. Milgard also offers thin-framed aluminum windows.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:21 pm

be careful about replacing clerestory windows. Often these single paned windows work in your favor by releasing hot air during the summer months, helping cool your home. As far as insulating goes during the winter, you won't gain much because the heat that escapes that high is usually "spent". Depending how your home is sited, I would consider not replacing clerestory windows with double paned.

A neighbor of mine just did that and it made their house hotter during the summer. They ended up installing a rooftop HVAC system, which looks horrid! Another example of someone not understanding how a MCM home functions.

If you do decide to replace clerestory windows, go to a glass company, not a window company (yes there is a difference) Your trapezoid windows most likely are either glazed in or are secure with wood stops, with no frame. I would only consider replacing clerestory windows if they get a lot of direct sunlight during the summer, which shouldn't be the case with your roof overhangs. Wintertime sun is good. Though, in LA, you probably don't feel a huge difference between the seasons!

Nice find, Chimey. Do you have pictures of your new windows yet?

Chimay

Replacing clerestory windows

Postby Chimay » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:29 pm

I had to replace my clerestory windows because we reconfigured a wall and also they were all in mistlite, and I wanted clear. But we did go to a glass company for those (and not a window company), and they gave installed single-paned glass that is designed specifically for that purpose, with a high e-rating, which will let heat escape but also provides relief from the sun. we have southern exposure, and despite the deep overhang, some still get direct sunlight. Anyway, it's also important to make sure they are secured with wood stops, rather than framed, as Joe mentioned. Glass companies will do this, of course. A lot of my neighbors have replaced all of their windows with thick white vinyl framed windows (including the clerestories, which had wood stops), and they look absolutely awful. I can't imagine what those people are thinking.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:12 pm

chimay: "I can't imagine what those people are thinking."

they weren't. the window salesman was, though.

Carpie
Modern Fan

Postby Carpie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:44 pm

Keep in mind that what may seem like "windows" in some homes, (Mine included), may be glass inserts. If this is the case, commercial glass companies can probably do the work for a LOT less than a window company.

Some time back, I was in on the same topic. There were many good messages on the subject. Feel free to search using "Carpie" as a search phrase. You may also find some photo links in my posts.

Good luck.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”