California Rancho Hues...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sid
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

California Rancho Hues...

Postby sid » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm preparing to paint the exterior of my house and I've been looking for the old Dunn Edwards (DE) color chart called "California Rancho Hues." Well, I went to my local DE today and all they had for me was a chart called "Rancho House & Trim" circa 1979. Is this the same, but with a slight variation in the name? Does anybody know of a DE in the Los Angeles area that would have the original chart?

Here are a couple of the paint names on the chart I saw today, and has anybody seen or used these shades before:

Birchwood, Moonlily (DE spelling), Wigwam, Sage Green, Cargo Orange, Cocoa, Flemish Blue, and of course Paprika.

So far, I like the Birchwood and Moonlilly for the exterior of my MCM.

Thanks, SID

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:03 pm

now be careful with the painting stuff! MCM homes usually do not have trim colors, except exposed posts and beams, fascia, and the front door. it you search this site and the Eichler network site, you'll find lots of discussion on paint schemes.

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:47 am

Joe - I hear you and before I start the paint job I will post pictures and ask for guidance from you all, as well as, consult the Eichler Network. If I do hear you correctly so far, the roof line should not be painted the same color as the beams?

Another thing to think about is the concrete lattice in the picture below. Should it be the same color as the posts and beams?

Thanks, SID

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:25 pm

sid
Modern Master

moving right along...

Postby sid » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:59 pm

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:03 am

Since I'm going through this right now I thought I would pipe in.

My house trim, including beams was painted a dark green, with walls and doors in an institutional light green (similar to that Restoration Hardware green you saw everywhere a couple of years ago) - we bought the house with the intent to paint. The interior beams in the three bedrooms were also painted a light green, as were the interior bedroom doors and cabinets. I don't think I've ever really hated a color, or in this case a particular color palette until this house - one of the first items on the revonation agenda was to paint the interior wall colors.

Image of Original Greens:
http://wildtoys.com/house/Spring2002/Up ... ngroom.jpg
Notice that even the kitchen cabinets and interior posts are green!

After some research (including pealing back paint layers and looking under door knob/hinges and escutcheons) I determined some of the house's original colors - they either had flat black for the beams and trim, or flat black was used as the primer under an extremely dark green (almost black). This included interior and exterior doors. What was even more unusual were some of the original wall paint colors (they may be seen inside cabinetry as the walls were painted before some cabinets were installed - built in place actually). The pink and black main bath had this dusky rose color for the walls - much darker than I would have expected (more 60's than 50's).

We really searched very hard for a color scheme and palette that would look right considering all the house elements. Our house has an open floorplan, where you can pretty much see any room from just about any point in the living room, dining room, kitchen and adjunct walnut panelled room (houses the fireplace). To make things even more challenging, the oversized windows in the living room and dining room, plus the sliding glass in the kitchen and adjunct room, provide views to most of the house from the outside. It really would not work to paint walls and trim in opposing colors and it explained why the previous homeowners went with the two greens.

Image of newly painted walls:
http://wildtoys.com/house/Summer2004/living4.jpg

We choose to go with a light brown/gold for the walls in the main areas, a slightly lighter hue in the hall and two smaller bedrooms, then a greenish gold in the master bedroom (since these areas are separated by doors, it was a less acute color change and is only noticable when pointed out to visitors. We worked on the exterior trim colors the longest, as we wanted consistent color to run from the exterior to the interior. We looked long and hard at many different hues and decided to go with a dark brown. Most of the colors we looked at did not go well with the brown stained tongue-and-groove wood ceiling. We tried to keep with a "modern" brown but they just didn't look right - one dark brown/gray color (that you sometimes see on period pottery) almost worked but on the exerior the color looked sun faded - we hated the idea of taking all this time to paint only to have the trim look faded.

Note that to make sure of our colors, we bought many quart samples and painted large swatches to see the effect with lighting, furnishings, etc, so these were not casual choices. Since I do almost all renovations myself and am one anal bastard, I did not want to have to redo everything in two years - whatever the decision, it would have to last for a while.

Ultimately we went with a dark, reddish-hue brown - called "Mission Brown" by Duron for the trim. Here are images of the house thus far. Note that I've replaced all the track lighting with low-voltage halogens and have only painted the ugly front door white as a temporary measure for my own sanity (door will be replaced soon). The interior baseboard and door trim is in a neutral white. Also, the green "motel curtains" have not yet been replaced - I haven't decided on the replacement fabric.

Image of painted/unpainted beam:
http://www.wildtoys.com/house/Spring200 ... ompare.jpg

While the previous dark green provided some contrast to the ceiling wood, the current dark brown makes the space slightly understated and emphasizes the ceiling itself, rather than the beams. (sorry about the image quality - the pics were taken at night using a flash). I'll take some more pics of the exterior as it comes together.

I guess my opinion on colors has more to do with what works in context - I would love to choose some period paint colors, but many times this isn't practical - I could not imagine my house painted in any of the more interesting MCM colors - nor do I think that was the original designer's intent. With exterior walls in white stone and medium brown wood ceilings, many colors would exaggerate themselves and look misplaced. I know we all love the colors that were used for MCM houses, but remember that there was a lot of experimentation going on and there are both good and bad examples. I do like the idea of the accent wall in front being a contrasting color on your home - it could become a fabulous focal point and really add to the curb appeal.

-- Best, John

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:34 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”