Traditonal Ranch to Modern Ranch Remodel- Ideas

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DamonBoost
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Traditonal Ranch to Modern Ranch Remodel- Ideas

Postby DamonBoost » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:00 pm

Ok so I live in Little Rock, AR.. that is the first issue. I dont have much to choose from as far as modern goes. I really like the style of the eichler homes but that definately isnt an option here. I have found some modern 50's homes but none are in my price range. I cant afford to build either at aprox $120 sq ft these days. So I am looking for an inexpensive rather bland looking ranch to remodel into a modern. Nothing crazy as this will be my first home and I am not um.... Rich =) by any means. I have roughly 15-20K available for the remodel. My first idea is one that would take a home like this one

basically close in the carport and make the house an "L" shape with the new additon with an almost flat roof. to take away from the large pitch of the roof. Like these....

And then maybe add a half wall to the other side like this..

So those are my orginal ideas. Please feel free to give me some more. I have been looking at Homes in CA mostly for inspiration via real estate sites. As well as searching as many Mid Century Home Plans books as I can find. If any of you guys have any ideas to find other renovation ideas for traditional ranch remodels please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!
::damon::

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

One word - WINDOWS!

Postby Chimay » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:56 pm

Of course, you won't be able to find an Eichler or an Alexander in Little Rock, but you can certainly incorporate many of their themes into just about any ranch home from the area, with a little cash, a lot of patience, and a Costco-sized bottle of Excedrin Migraine pain reliever.

Mid-century Modern ranch homes are all about incorporating the backyard into the living area. Recommend that you look at trying to find a house with a low pitched roof, preferably with a tongue-and-groove ceiling so that you can do away with the false ceiling and go all the way up. Post-and-beam homes are more common in California than elsewhere, but if you can find one in Little Rock, it will be the easiest to remodel (most interior walls are not load-bearing) and also to give an MCM feel to it. Also, try to find a home with the low-pitched roof aligned front to back so that it opens up more to the backyard. You could look at adding clerestory glass (use glass, not framed windows) to extend the view up to the pitched roof line (like in the last of the photo examples you showed in your post).

Along these same lines, look at extending windows to the floor (and up to the ceiling) and adding more floor to ceiling window walls in the rear of the house, or where else appropriate and where you're not worried about privacy issues (I assume in Little Rock, you can have a fair amount of land compared with, say, San Diego). This will also bring a lot more light into the house, and while helping to blur the lines between inside and out. To minimize engineering issues (adding or enlarging windows can mean lateral stability issues).

Last word on the windows thing. Please, whatever you do, DO NOT install vinyl windows. You have no idea how many people I've seen put new vinyl windows in their MCM homes here in my neighborhood, and think they've upgraded the place. It makes a grown man cry (well, this grown man, anyway). Use thin-framed aluminum windows (widely available, even in Arkansas) for any new ones you'd add, or any you may need to change).

Another thing you can do to the exterior is to add mistlite glass screens in the front for additional privacy, without sacrificing on light. This was common on Eichlers and is also seen on modern homes built recently That's better than half-walls or some thing like that in concrete. You can use wood 4x4 posts to support the mistlite, or metal if you like. Be sure to use tempered glass!

Good luck on your search.

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:05 pm

The main problem with the roof pitches is how much rain we get here in AR. The low pitched roofs dont hold up too well and the owners have mostly all re-framed the roof to add pitch or have let the house go to crap due to water damage etc etc. Thats the big issue I am having trying to find a roof pitch that I like. Its actually the hardest part of my search. And the scariest hearing all these horror stories with flat or low pitched roofs. Thats where I started brain-storming about keeping the pitch for much of the roof and then adding on to the front with less of a pitch to take the focus off the pitch of the existing roof..

Chimay

Snow in Little Rock?!

Postby Chimay » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:13 pm

Well, go look at my house on the gallery on this site (San Diego Palmer & Krisel Remodel), and let me know if that pitch is what you're talking about. I can understand why a flat roof would be a problem, but I don't see why a house with a pitch like mine would be any worse for rain than one with a steeper pitch. Maybe I'm missing something, but seems to me that once a roof has enough pitch to let the water drain, there's no issue. Unless you're dealing with heavy snow (in Arkansas?!), I don't see why a steeper pitch would matter.

Chimay

Roof Pitch

Postby Chimay » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:15 pm

In any case, the pitch of the roof is really a secondary consideration. You can still do everything I suggested even on an "A"-frame (i.e. floor-to-ceiling windows, clerestories, mistlite glass screens, etc.).

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:06 am

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Re: One word - WINDOWS!

Postby puzzle » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:10 am

Chimay

Vinyl vs. Aluminum vs. Wood

Postby Chimay » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:35 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:36 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:51 am

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:26 pm

Thank you very much for the replies. I have decided to continue my search. I am in no rush and no reason to hurry. Despite my excitement to become a home-owner. I am going to post another question however in a new topic as I dont want to get this thread off track..

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:16 pm

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:52 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

all these posts about windows

Postby modfan » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:15 am

Chimay

windows

Postby Chimay » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:16 am

yes. jeld-wenn/window master and milgard both build thin-framed, dual-glazed aluminum windows either off the shelf or to specifications. We used jeld-wenn for ours.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”