IKEA - mixed feelings

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SpongeBob Tiki Green

Postby Chimay » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:28 pm

sid
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sid » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:20 pm

I do IHOP for lingenberries on my crepes!

OH NO! Not another food thread...
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:32 pm

IHOP has good crepes and OK lingenberries, but I prefer my crepe mix from Williams and Sonoma cooked in real butter with my IKEA lingenberries.

Now the best crepe I ever had was at 3:00 AM off the back of a crepe truck in Paris. It was stuffed with taso ham and French cheese (fromage?).

Pardon my French.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:06 pm

Denny's is SO much better than IHOP ( :

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:08 pm

Does Denny's have crepes?

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:50 pm

designmatters
Modern Fan

Postby designmatters » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:22 pm

Hmmm.... IKEA.....Ok, I currently have several pieces and there are several IKEA pieces that were formerly in my posession.

Right now, in the living room, I have a bent wood black leather chair (still looking for the matching ottoman if anyone has ideas), their really cheap floor lamp, and a combination of their old Niklas shelving system. I bought the metal uprights & bracing but made the wood shelves & cabinets myself. I used 3/4" birch ply, edged it with aluminium channels, and used nickel 'L' hooks for attachment supports. It's stronger and better looking, and can support my 100's of pounds of architecture & photography books.

In the bedroom I have some modern Italian furniture set (bed, dresser, nightstands, & mirror), but we needed extra storage, so there are temporary IKEA dressers that don't clash. There are also two of the metal & oblong glass table lamps on either side of the dresser, which look great.

For the office, the furniture was bought secondhand, but I'm pretty sure the tables and bookcases came from IKEA. A good trick is to buy the metal table legs from IKEA, and make or find the desktop material yourself.

I agree that IKEA is appropriate in moderation, and everyone is entitled to their personal tastes. Certianly inspect before buying. Another tip is that every IKEA has a reject/As-is area near the cashiers, you can sometimes find deals, or at least parts you can't get alone, let your imagination take over!

West Elm is good, and I also noticed that Crate & Barrel has some decent modern furnishings & lamps. They're priced between IKEA and Design (outof) Reach.

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Postby puzzle » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:40 pm

With all the talk of IKEA food, how could I forget to mention the Sunday morning I was at IKEA Carson and there was a little stand outside with a grandma and grandpa making these little doughnuts (I think they were called ebelskeever?) served with lingonberry sauce - deelish! I haven't seen them since. Maybe it's only a Sunday thing.

Carson IKEA is usually pretty quiet, but not very big. A salesperson there told me they focus on stocking the newer stuff, while Costa Mesa and Covina (one of which is the third largest IKEA in the world - I've only been to Covina and it is huge) have a much bigger inventory. I rarely go to Burbank because of the crowds, and it seems like they're always out of what I want.

I just saw the new issue of Dwell and they have a short article "Beyond IKEA: Affordable Modern Furniture." They mention West Elm, EQ3, and Conran's (conrans.com and habitat.net). I haven't seen a Conran's since their old store at the Beverly Center. I'm looking at their web sites and they don't seem to have any stores in the U.S. I don't have any experience with West Elm, but I've been to the EQ3 in Torrance and was not impressed with their furniture or service (don't expect them to have the merchandise shown in their sale ads, but they might sell it to you regular price when it's back in stock - if you can find someone who cares :roll:).

I like some of Crate and Barrel's lamps, and the new "Petrie" couch (wonder if it's named after Rob and Laura ;) ).

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:15 pm

No matter whet you think of IKEA, just buy as much as possible, leave it in storage for 30+ years and then put it on E-bay and you should be able to beat the return you would have got for the same money invested in the S&P 500. Especially in it's "original package."

So, the lesson here is: No matter what it is, as long as it has mass appeal today; it will come back BIGGER than ever tomorrow.

Here's some advice from Mr. Robinson: BY IKEA, Benjamin! -- IT'S THE FUTURE!

Now, off to my local wine bar on this Friday night... :cheers: (imagine it's a Bordeaux glass)
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:18 am

If you like Crate and Barrel, be sure to check out their hipper, younger sibling CB2. Not everything they have is good, but it's definitely worth browsing. I believe the stores are in Chicago only, but they have a nice website at cb2.com. I'm partial to the Odyssey dining table:

http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=115&f=64

rubyflamingo
Modern Fan

Sponge Bob Tiki Green Paint

Postby rubyflamingo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:51 am

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:43 pm

midcenturymadam
Modern Fan

Postby midcenturymadam » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:17 am

midcenturymadam
Modern Fan

Postby midcenturymadam » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:08 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:12 pm

An Ikea "Summertime at home" catalog appeared with my Sunday paper today ("prices valid until May 31 -- hurry in for best selection!")

There are several chairs, lounges and tables that, on appearances at least, might bear inspection. These include:

APPLARO outdoor table, armchair and two-seater, in oiled solid acacia (handsome shapes; medium-width wood slats; nicely curved seat-backs)

KVARNO outdoor table, armchair and bench, in acacia and anodized aluminum (narrow wood slats and ergonomic seatbacks; wood-topped arms)

VASMAN outdoor armchair, recliner [sic] and footstool, in black, red or clear lacquered steel tubing with matching plastic strings [sic]

VASMAN tables, round (seats 4) or oval (seats six) in clear lacquered steel and tempered glass (very plain, vertical tube legs and a simple table rim)

VINO stackable armchair, in lacquered steel and oiled wood (looks comfortable; wood arms)

All of these designs have the potential to fit nicely into a modern design scheme, in my opinion. The Vasman (plastic-cord) and Vino (metal-wood) chairs have cantilever-type tubular frames, while the Kvarno pieces have square or rectangular-section anodized frames with sled bases. The all-wood Applaro dining table (with end drop-leaves) seats 4 to 10 and costs $139! All should be comfort and sturdiness-tested; the tapered back of the Vasman "recliner" (a springy, high-back armchair) may be too narrow for some. I have not seen acacia wood used before; in the photos it could be mistaken for teak.

I could see any of these outdoor pieces looking perfectly at home indoors. In fact, a good strategy for the beginning homemaker would be to purchase pieces intended eventually for the deck or patio, as starter furnishings in the living and dining rooms.

SDR :cheers:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

The attraction of IKEA

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:46 am

I had a garage sale on Saturday. In my classified ad I mentioned "vintage danish modern loungers" and "lots of IKEA".

I had people circling my house at 6:30 AM when my ad listed an 8 AM start time. I had several pieces of IKEA furniture, including a broken lamp. Most of it was gone by 7:30 AM (mind you, the closest IKEA is 5 hours away!).

Through out the day we had design conscious people coming by, unlike any yard sale I have ever seen. I even had a MCM furniture dealer give me his card in case I want to sell the furniture that wasn't for sale in my house! I even had one couple offer to buy our house! They mentioned they had been reading Atomic Ranch since issue one and were hooked! They didn't realize I had an article in issue four and that the neighborhood was full of Cliff May homes...

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: The attraction of IKEA

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:58 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 am

Chimay

Condo in Atomic Ranch

Postby Chimay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:31 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:48 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:59 pm

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:17 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Ikea Alternatives

Postby scowsa » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:09 pm

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

Atomic Ranch rocks

Postby Midlife Modern » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:33 pm

Last edited by Midlife Modern on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:58 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

dwell

Postby Midlife Modern » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:59 pm

modchick65
Modern Fan

Postby modchick65 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:11 pm

Save Wildwood, NJ!!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:25 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:01 am

I have been buying Ikea for years but recently my 2 year old MALM dresser was put to rest. I love the price at Ikea but man, I hate that MDF. What I'm doing in my home is integrating the old with the new ie: Ikea rug..50's Danish modern dresser from Craigslist, A dash of Marimekko, Mod op art lamps from Ebay... I have plethora of finds from Ikea but for the things that really need to be sturdy, I think I've shifted gears from.. liking the cheap price to.. I'll pay more and know that it'll last longer because it's REAL wood. I will still continue to buy from Ikea, a lamp here, cool plastic thingie there but I will know and expect that these things are not meant to last. Spot the Ikea in this pic.. You gotta love IKEA Colors!!
Cheers,
Mod Diva

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

baby panton chairs

Postby Midlife Modern » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:23 am

Mod diva,
I love your clever display of panton chairs. :)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”