IKEA - mixed feelings

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:42 am

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mod Diva » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:59 am

Thanks for the awesome compliments guys (blushing)..

Here's the deal with the Ikea in the pic...

Yes Tikiyaki, that red thingie is from Ikea it's actually backside front since it's a file cart!! I put a light in that so it's totally illuminated and glows red at parties:)
The lamp was a Pasadena rose bowl find for $12 but the lampshade and the 3 tiered stand that it's on was from Ikea.
The chair was an E-bay find for $100, I made the pillows from the fabric I bought at www.reprodepot.com.
And last but not least.. those square wall cubes...Another Ikea buy. I saw those in West Elm but they were WAY over priced. I bought these wooden planters from IKEA for $2. Primed them, textured them with spackle, and painted them to match the swiss coffee paint on my walls. I used some "L" brackets to put them up and there they are for a fraction of the price of West Elm. Ikea is great.. sometimes you just gotta think outside the box!
Cheers,
Mod Diva

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:20 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:46 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:31 am

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:54 pm

I heard that Panton's IKEA chair had such a short production run because it was too "out there" and wasn't a hit with IKEA's customers. I really don't see why, though -- the chair doesn't look that out of line with other IKEA designs to me.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:43 am

Ikea occasionally reintroduces old pieces. There is an oval swivel chair from the late '60s currently in their offerings. There was a page on the Ikea website with catalog covers back to the early '50s, giving you a glimpse of their stuff back then.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:48 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:16 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:37 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:04 am

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:42 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:02 am

On your second link, Wavos, Stockholm and Offi all look good to me (find the Stockholm desk) -- those are certainly IKEA names, aren't they?

Bender

coreyo
Modern Fan

Postby coreyo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:56 pm

luke_trash
Modern Master

Postby luke_trash » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:25 am

Living in Iowa, we have no IKEA, but that's OK, because I am a 'kick the tires' kind of guy, and if something is not overengineered, I usually don't want to buy it.

My answer to ikea is the local Target store + estate sales + surplus auctions.

I'm a guy, so I don't like light colored stuff that IKEA has. I have the livingroom done up almost entirely on Target furniture, but it has an IKEA feel to it (but it was cheaper at Target) Best of all, it's solid wood, albeit a cheap wood of some sort.

My fiancee is kind of disappointed in the dark industrial look I prefer, but she manages to deal.

This is my upstairs bedroom I have as a computer room/den sort of thing. Everything you see in the picture there was less than 100 dollars collectively. The Target martini art I got for xmas and just hung up since I had nowhere to put it. But the rest of the stuff there including desk, locker, AM radio, 50's desk lamp, and my Emeco rocking chair all cost under 100 dollars total. I got it all at surplus sales, or estate sales.

My livingroom is mostly Target. The only thing not from Target you can see really is the TV and the couch.

Again, this stuff I paid retail for, but for the 'look' it cost a lot less than buying the stuff at furniture stores, and I even presume IKEA.

I posted links so I wouldn't bore the topic with unrelated images...
old beats new

coreyo
Modern Fan

Postby coreyo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:56 am

No Ikea here in Kansas either. My Ikea stuff that I have (a light and my duvet cover and my rug) i bought off of ebay.

my stuff for my apartment next year, i'm either buying from target or buying something of ebay... or already have the furniture i need (and i'm redoing the fabric or such) oh, and i'll be looking at estate/garage sales for anything cool.

things i have left to buy: a george nelson imitation asterisk clock or a starburst clock, another floorlamp, wall graphics ( http://www.whatisblik.com/organic.html , very cool for not being able to paint an apartment,i can put these on and it'll just peel right off), tribeca coffee table and endtable from target, a mirror from an garage sale (hopefully) and a dresser.[/u]

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:48 am

Luke: Ikea doesn't do mail order too well yet. It's a shopping experience. You don't "kick the tires" at Ikea, they kick you!

If you get a chance, head up to Chitown and check one out. You may buy nothing and spend four hours doing it. Don't forget the swedish meetballs and red potatoes, though.

coreyo: cool wall graphics! Are those legal in Kansas? ;- )

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:47 am

luke_trash
Modern Master

Postby luke_trash » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:57 am

I'm the ex owner of 5 Volvos, so I have a soft spot for Sweden.. I've actually had lignonberries (bought em on a whim at Cost Plus World Market once)

If I'm in Chitown I'll be stopping at IKEA.. my buddy out there lives near it. He also claims to get physically dizzy inside the store as well.
old beats new

rambling
Modern Socialite

Postby rambling » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:30 am

rambling
Modern Socialite

Postby rambling » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:31 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I thought

Postby modfan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: I thought

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:20 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:32 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:01 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 pm

punagirl
Modern Fan

Atlanta IKEA

Postby punagirl » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:29 am

Our store just opened June 29. It is supposed to be the 3rd largest in country and has the 2nd largest cafe. This place was huge. IU have been to the one in Burbank a few times and it seems really small compared to this one. I am not a huge IKEA fan but it is a good place to pick up organizer type stuff etc. We went over on opening day around 7 pm. All 1500 parking spaces were full and some enterprising person was allowing to park in his lot for $5 and walk over. They also had shuttle buses. The traffic was very back up so we didn't bother. IKEA day 3, we decided to venture over again thinking they were open till 10pm. We were wrong, they close at 9 but even this late it was still packed. So we finally got in yesterday around 7 pm. It was still packed. Amazing - all this over inexpensive furniture.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:13 am

I’m buying at IKEA since more than 20 years. As said before, some things are cheep and look cheep, some are okay or even good when mixed with other pieces. We have some closets (there are no built-in or walk-in closets over here) that moved several times throughout the country and are still standing. Okay, you have to adjust doors from time to time … Our IKEA kitchen is 9 years old now, it is ABSTRAKT in light grey high gloss with stainless steel hardware (not from IKEA). Still looks great for the price! White LACK side tables do extremely well with expensive Italian leather sofas. The only thing I dislike is that IKEA is always crowded.

For our “newâ€￾ home in Florida I’ve searched the web for contemporary furniture in the U.S., and I found all of the shops mentioned here before – AND: www.boconcept.com. How about that?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:42 am

Hm -- I see you have a BoConcept in Jacksonville -- other than Scottsdale, I guess they're all in the east. Nice looking stuff. How do prices compare to IKEA or other retailers?

I like the "product of the month" TV stand; the swivelling feature could solve some people's floor-plan problems perfectly!

SDR

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:19 am

Yeah, it's a funny coincidence that BoConcept opened its Jacksonville store right after we bought the house there ... How could they know? :wink:

It definitely is more expensive than IKEA but I know from the BoConcept store in Munich that the quality also is way better. And compared to DWR and others it is really affordable. I also like the fact that you can virtually create your own furniture with all the choices in veneers, fabrics, legs, armrests, headboards - and that it is rather small scale so that it fits perfectly into a smaller home.

Actually, the Cliff May Ranchos which made me join this forum look very much like typical Danish homes, so the BoConcept furniture seems to be just right for those who are not strikty looking for true MCM pieces.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”