Mies Van Der Rohe Townhouses - Detroit

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tikifish
Modern Socialite

Mies Van Der Rohe Townhouses - Detroit

Postby tikifish » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:07 am

Here's some photos of the Mies Van Der Rohe townhouses in Detroit I took last summer. The pictures don't do the complex justice - it's stunning! They occasionally come on the market and can still be bought for a reasonable price, but maintenance fees are high. My husband (seen in photo) used to live in Mies' Lafayette Towers which was a gorgeous apartment complex overlooking a park and these townhouses. I can point you to some more website info on these if you like! PS. The paper sign taped to the brick in the 2nd last photo is a little kid's sign that reads 'LEMONADE 25 CENTS'. No kidding!<br><br>

Image[/img]

ValleyModern
Modern Master

Postby ValleyModern » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:43 pm

Yes indeed, that is a great complex! Both my mother and my brother lived in apartments in Lafayette Towers. They both lived on upper floors. From the stunning floor to ceiling glass in Mom's living room, she had a very cool view of the Detroit river and Windsor. We all loved the building, and she would have stayed if they were for sale. I wish I could have been there on moving day so I could have seen her place empty- sorry Mom. But, even with overstuffed chintz sofas and all that goes with them, the architecture still shines through. Since, she has moved to a historic building of another kind, from the late 1800's, where her sofas are more in their element.
http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/detroit/d25.htm

otis

kes998
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

detroit MvdR

Postby kes998 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:45 pm

pgharchfan
Modern Fan

Townhouse pricing

Postby pgharchfan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:18 am

The townhouses sell for around $130,000 because you are buying the prior owner's equity against the master mortgage. (The property is a co-op.) You will pay monthly maintenance of around $700/month on the typical unit which includes the unit's share of the continued payments on the mortgage and the maintenance fees.

Most all of the units have been remodeled inside many times over, but a great complex nonetheless.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:48 am

Very cool.

I can see a lot of obvious similiarity with the MLK Library that he designed here:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”