Design themes

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Design themes

Postby Sienna » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:51 am

We're beginning to think about interior design themes for our Cliff May Rancho. I don't have good design sense or experience so I'm looking for some guidance. On this website and in books I have seen many different themes. I've seen the following:

Japanese Modern (earthy elements, lots of brown and wood)
Atomic Age (spunik lamps, more color and chrome)
Contemporary (stainless steel, sleek, straight edges)
Tiki (rattan, tropical)
Danish Modern
Strictly 50s (straight edged sofas or boomerang coffee tables)

Currently we have collected a variety of items that would fall within several of the themes above. We have parted with some items but the few remaining ones are keepers such as a round hanigng spaghetti lamp, a starburst wall clock with a goldish face and wooden starbursts, two white double coned wall sconces, two gravel art pieces, a Danish modern fireplace tool set with wooden handles, a chrome sputnik chandelier, and all stainless steel kitchen appliances.

Would mixing these different-themed items not look right or should we stick with one theme overall? In books and magazines I don't usually see alot of chrome and wood together. It's usually either all wood and brown color theme, or a mix of chrome, glass and bright colors.

Are there some basic design guidelines that address usage of different materials, shapes, furniture placement, design flow.... or is it pretty much to each his own?

thanks all - hope this makes sense

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:18 am

Ah, an empty pallette....

So many good options, where do you start ?

Personally I'm not a big fan of chrome, but that's just me. I think flat brushed aluminum goes nice with teak and darker wood. As far as mixing goes, I think in the big open areas, it's best to give it a bit of consistancy, or at least have things that tie two different styles together and make a nice transition from one to the next. I have a white egg chair with orange fabric in the living room amidst the teak and walnut stuff and wood paneling, and I know from a design period sense, it doesn't work. But it's a really cool chair, so the other furniture pieces have orange and red fabrics, so it has something to tie it in. I still think from a purist point of view it doesn't work, but I'm not getting rid of the chair, I like it too much ;-)

For the other separate rooms, like the bedrooms, I think it's okay to give them their own flavor. Maybe one atomic, one japanese, one tiki....I think that's always neat, and you get to utilize all your different stuff.

Then again, you have a Cliff May, so the Cliff May owners on this board can probably give you a better insight than me.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:34 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:41 am

sienna, I like all the themes. I'd go for a little of each one!

One thing to consider with a Cliff May prefab, is scale. You have minimal wall space and big furniture can overpower a room, so lookout for compact furniture (which can be comfortable). Here's my find of the week from, beleive it or not, DWR at a great price for sofas:

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6722

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

From your description and other posts

Postby modfan » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:44 am

Sounds like you have a good collection-as other posts alluded to-blend them together.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Design themes

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:39 am

Sienna

Re: Design themes

Postby Sienna » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:46 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:54 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:03 am

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:14 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:15 am

p]sienna, I like all the themes. I'd go for a little of each one!

One thing to consider with a Cliff May prefab, is scale. You have minimal wall space and big furniture can overpower a room, so lookout for compact furniture (which can be comfortable). Here's my find of the week from, beleive it or not, DWR at a great price for sofas:

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6722[/quote]

Wow, that IS cheap for DWR. Maybe they actually are starting to adhere to their name and become "within reach".
I agree on smaller furniture. It makes the room look bigger.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:30 am

Co-designer of your home, architect Chris Choate, was greatly influenced by Japanese design. His non-May related projects often took on overt Japanese themes and details. I think his influence on his homes is greater than anyone wants to admit.

In my view, "eclectic" is tough to pull off with out looking hodgepodge. Just remember the old saying, "less is best", especially in small spaces.

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

Contrast is everything

Postby Midlife Modern » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:57 am

Contrast is what makes any interior design work. For modern I like wood mixed with chrome. (Glass tends to show dust so I stay away it.)
Met Home magazine shows this use of contrast with modern home interiors all the time.
For contrast in surfaces think: warm/cold shiny/matte smooth/textured

designmatters
Modern Fan

Postby designmatters » Sun May 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”