pull down dining room lights

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
leschef
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

pull down dining room lights

Postby leschef » Sun May 01, 2005 3:42 pm

Does anyone know where we can find those lights that you could pull down clolse to the table for eating then put back up again later?

Thank you
Linda

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Mon May 02, 2005 7:30 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon May 02, 2005 8:18 am

We had (my mom still has) one of these lights in our kitchen eating area in the house I grew up in. I recently checked that fixture and it was made by Lightolier. The company still exists, but does not seem to make them anymore. At least that gives you a name to look for.
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Mon May 02, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon May 02, 2005 11:05 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon May 02, 2005 11:17 am

We had one of those in the dining room while I was growing up. It was shaped like a flying saucer and you could pull it down closer to the dining room table. Mom eventually changed it as it clashed with her antiques.

<sigh>

That and the starburst light fixtures in the rest of the house (still have those) are probably what planted the seeds of MCM appreciation.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon May 02, 2005 11:49 am

Our Lightolier version had a conventional wall switch and then a switch at the bottom of the fixture that would light either none, one, two or three bulbs. It was hard to change lamps so we used that switch only when a bulb burned out.

It was discus, or flat UFO shaped and the glass was probably 24" in diameter. Tiny holes were arranged in the brass top to disipate heat.

The ball in the middle of the cord where the cord retracted to was sort of football shaped standing on end.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue May 03, 2005 3:10 am

I actually came across a European pull-down light while browsing eBay this morning. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 64974&rd=1

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Sun May 08, 2005 6:51 pm

If anyone is interested, I have a couple NOS fixtures I put on ebay tonight. http://tinyurl.com/83ugn One is a pull-down with egg and the other a counterweight design. Hopefully this'll help someone out :wink:

Cory

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Sun May 08, 2005 7:32 pm

Like the one in the top left cprner of this photo?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... ngRoom.jpg
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Sun May 08, 2005 8:26 pm

I believe the purpose of the pull down cord was to be able to change the bulbs?
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 08, 2005 8:58 pm

I think mru and I grew up with similar Lightolier fixtures -- Ours had a ring as the handle at the bottom, if I'm not mistaken. . .

I think not, Sid -- these were intended to give different kinds of lighting, depending perhaps on how big the meal, or the time of day. They were specifically meant to light a table -- weren't they?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon May 09, 2005 5:26 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 09, 2005 10:24 am

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon May 09, 2005 1:06 pm

Lightolier is still in business and has some very good quality lighting equipment. Unfortunately they do not make the pull down light last time I checked.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”