Staining Flagstone and concrete

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Staining Flagstone and concrete

Postby tikiyaki » Sun May 15, 2005 5:43 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know if you can stain flagstone ? Normally I wouldn't want to do such a thing, except our back patio is a yellow flagstone and it has too much of a southwestern look. It also doesn't help that there is a raised patio done in terracotta/saltillo tile and other southwestern looking trim. So, I'd really like to de-desertize my backyard and give it a Mid Century Modern / Polynesian look. I'd like to change the flagstone into a blue / gray color, and I was wondering if I could stain it.

Anyone know about this ?

TheModernObject
Modern Fan

Also, while we are on the subject

Postby TheModernObject » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:40 pm

Anyone know how to stain brick?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:46 pm

oh tiki, leave natural materials natural. Maybe you should have picked a differernt kind of rock? I don't think staining it is a good idea. The last I checked, wasn't LA located in the southwest part of the USA, or did I miss an earthquake?

I am considering an ebony stain on my concrete slab floor if demo goes OK.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon May 11, 2009 12:23 pm

old topic... but did you have any luck staining it? We stained our concrete pool deck this weekend, trying to figure out how to tone it down, it turned out too orangey pinky, i fear we may have really messed up. thinking about scrubbing it with an abrasive to wear it down then applying another color to bring it down even more.
No, i don't want to hear your opinion about leaving it bare concrete because thats what you do with an MCM.. we're past that already. Just trying to fix it.
any suggestions?
Polite and Cordial

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

For some reason chlorine bleach comes to mind....but maybe that just fades fabric dyes....to be honest, its just a shot in the dark

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon May 11, 2009 1:09 pm

possible worth a test area.. worried it will make it pinker..
Polite and Cordial

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Maybe a solvent based sealer to darken?

http://www.concretedecor.net/All_Access/403/CD403_Tips.cfm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon May 11, 2009 2:34 pm

yes, yes, thanks jesgord, that is moving in the right direction. i will look into this one.
Polite and Cordial

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon May 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Not sure what flavor stain you used but you can always re-stain in an opposite spectrum tone,
diluted to balance the pink?
I tested a stain on my deck last weekend. It was way towards mahogany, a bit too purple. But
added a bit of ochre over it and it matched the original cedar siding perfectly. Just a test and if
i seal it with an oil after all of this, it will just turn dark anyway and may not need the stain.
Our deck is cedar and grey. It always looks better when it rains so i plan to stain it and seal it with
linseed oil but i need more than a few dry days...

On concrete, very porous, it should be ok to re-stain, diluted, to get what you want?

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:56 pm

so maybe a diluted blueish green or something?
Polite and Cordial

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue May 12, 2009 4:38 am

Does it look good wet? A sealer would darken it as Jesgord suggested. Maybe just a pale
raw umber wash? Not sure what you're after overall but i would find a small spot to test.
I doubt you want that molten tuscan villa yuck. Too much pigment and wet puddles seems to
look unnatural.
Most raw umber stains are a bit green/brown and blacks are a bit blue. If it is applied evenly
and very thin you may knock down the pink just enough before sealing.
Some of the 'how to' videos are histerical. Not sure what he is doing at 4:00. And some shoes
called corkers? Pretty much a waste of time to watch them and the concrete looks better before
and in its natural state in just about all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixd36bJY ... re=related
http://www.thenaturalabode.com/homeim/s ... Stains.htm

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri May 15, 2009 4:48 pm

If it's entirely in the sun it will fade on its own. I have friends with one year old stained concrete and it's already much lighter in the sunny spots. We just poured a new concrete pool deck and we are thinking we will probably just leave it alone to avoid restaining every few years. We just got rid of a pebbles-embedded-in-some-sort-of-clear-epoxy deck that we had to reseal every two years, so we're going low-maintenance.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Ready-Mix

Postby cadman » Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

If you're pouring new concrete there's no reason not to add a color mix rather than stain. My local const supply house had color charts and bags on hand. Most are in repulpable bags so the cement co can throw it in the truck and let it mix on the way to delivery. No fading or chipping...color throughout! -Cory

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”