1) Adding a steeper roof on top of your flat or shallow pitched roof.
2) Ornate front door. (Etched glass windows)
3) Adding a second story.
4) Putting in a country kitchen.
5) Installing a white metal colonial style garage door in place of the original redwood sided door (pic incl)
6) Adding vinyl double hung replacement windows
7) Heading to Home Depot/Lowes with home equity loan money in hand
8 ) Adding inappropriate window treatements ie-paned windows, decorative shutters, fancy storybook scrollwork/moldings.
9) Replacing your tar & gravel roof with Spanish tile.
10) Covering your tongue & groove ceiling and wood beams with sheetrock
11) Roof over the atrium and add desirable square footage
12) Putting a white picket OR Wrought Iron fence in the front yard (or ANYWHERE for that matter)
13) One word: Stucco
14) Two words: crown molding!
15) Three words: 70s wall paneling (pic)
16) Carriage lights
17) Slathering one color of paint over everything - double points if it's Peach, Pink or Yellow.
18 ) Painting over stone
19) replacing single pane glass in the glass end gables with double pain glass or plywood
20) vinyl siding
21) Installing gaudy brass light fixtures.
22) Covering up glass or painting over it. Exterior siding over what used to be glass under the two sets of windows in the J&J rooms. Inside paneling was installed over the glass:
23) Replacing in slab ductwork with overhead ductwork
24) Enclosing the carport / Converting the garage into living space
26) Install over-sized "professional grade" appliances (Viking, SubZero) in small galley kitchen.
27) Covering poured terrazzo with Home-Depot ceramic tile
28 ) ANYTHING made out of bright, shiny brass
29) Tear it down to build a McMansion
30) tearing out the original flat panel, flush faced kitchen cabinets and replacing them with fancy, ornate routed ones
31) Replacing original wood framed windows with aluminum framed sliding glasss doors:
32) Basin sinks / oversize tubs / Anything described as turning your bathroom into a "personal spa" or "retreat"
33) Installing inappropriately decorative house numbers.
34) selling off all the one of a kind, original architect designed furniture and light fixtures because it "doesn't fit in"
35) Putting in grid windows
36) Installing a ceiling fan in a vaulted, exposed beam/t&g ceiling
37) Basin sinks / oversize tubs / Anything described as turning your bathroom into a "personal spa" or "retreat"
38 ) Using a pick axe or jackhammer to remove original 8x8 linoleum tiles so one can install Home Depot terracotta pavers and pimpin' purple carpet. I only wish I had the pictures to prove it. You simply haven't lived until you've patched and levelled the entire slab on your hands and knees.
39) installing hardwood floors over a radiant heated concrete slab
40) cutting down the fascia, removing original down spouts to install gutters.
41) whitewash the interior with white paint to make it feel larger
43) STUPID DOOR HANDLES (pic)
44) Visual overload
45) Big Greek / Italian /mediterranian columns added to the front (or inside). Also, gawdy statues and fountians containing cherubs, angels, naked people, The Virgin Mary etc,
46) painting over unpainted exterior wood (instead of stain)
47) Collecting and displaying too many knick knacks in a 1200 sq ft MCM house:
48 ) Removing all signs of nature outside by putting concrete everywhere, thereby defeating the harmony between house and nature attitude of many modernists.
49) Sticking a mantle on a stone fireplace that isn't supposed to have one.
50 ) Putting a white lattice archway in the front yard walkway with flowers and vines growing all over it.
51) Plain ole' neglect...having a cool MCM home, and letting it go...chipping paint, rotted fascias, overgrown foliage etc...
52) paint a redwood tounge and groove ceiling
53) covering beautiful terrazzo floors with nylon fiber wall to wall carpet to "update the place"
54) Installing an aluminum patio(far right of picture):
55) Popcorn ceilings
56) Installing the cable box right outside the front door
57) Putting in one of those one-piece molded plastic mailboxes on a post.
58 ) Fake brick exterior siding (There's a bunch of these on the Neutra tract homes near the Burbank Airport).
59) Compromising your principles.
60 ) Misunderstanding/confusing "Ranch House" with "Ranch Style" house thus recreating the Little House on the Prairie
61) A sweet barn style shed. See pic;
62) Lace curtains (maybe this is just a Texas problem?)
63) Placing ANYTHING in or around the house from Hobby Lobby, Kirklands, or credited to either Thomas Kinkade or Mary Englebreit.
64) Smothering the interior with cheesy wallpaper.
65) Removing perfect mahogany paneling so that it can be replaced with drywall (this also includes just covering it with drywall).
66) Saltillo Tiles
67) Adding onto the back, after all, all that glass makes a great room divider!
68 ) Never throwing anything away.
69) Adding exposed conduit, wire mold, or worse, exposed wiring to beams and columns of you post and beam home.
70) Buying a a mid-century modern home and then normalizing it to make it look like any other home.
71) Round top windows!
72) Raising up your slab on grade MCM home and adding a basement under it.
73) Replacing your vintage globe lights with too much cheesy low-voltage lighting.
74) Adding a shingle roof in place of a tar and gravel roof on a pitch that is too low for shingles. IT WILL LEAK!
75) Three or four masonry materials where one or two will do.
76) invite 100 scooterist over to your house, with a live punk band, and 5 kegs of PBR (no, I haven't done this... yet)
77) adding an addition not in the style and design of the home
78 ) allowing termites to gobble it all up
79) anything faux
80) hire an architect who doesn't understand Modernism
81) not participating on the Lotta Living bboard
82) Stained glass or beveled glass windows
83 ) tiling over original magnasite deck... extra points for bad colorful folk art tile
84) Placing a Pink Flamingo in your Garden/Yard
85) Describing MCM houses as "retro"
86) Placing an A/C unit on the top of your roof
87) Refacing an original fireplace, let alone with a thin flagstone laminate
88 ) Installing arches or rounded corners in a room opening or between rooms
89) Turning the master bedroom into a den
90) replace your garage door with a brick fireplace
91) Hanging seasonal flags (i.e. santa, the easter bunny) outside your entryway
92) Inappropriate furnishings?? (see flowery couch with detailed, routed wood)