I need direction

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sakla
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I need direction

Postby sakla » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:08 pm

I just bought a Danish modern home and I am realizing that NOTHING I currently own will work here.

So...off to Ikea.

Actually, I am finding a lot of stuff I like, but the biggest problem I am currently facing is getting a dining room table.

We host big family dinners (20+ people) every Thursday. I would love to find something that starts at 90" long and expands to seat about 18 people. The additional peeps are kids and they eat on the counters or the den.

I am coming up empty most places and Ikea isn't much of a help.

Any tips?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 pm

That is an interesting problem. Most tables that size (c 13 feet?) are going to be custom made, or else veterans of an earlier time. However, if you use a table cloth when entertaining this mob(!) it might be possible to add table boards of plywood to the longest extension table you can find -- they woud just sit on top. Extension tables that open to about nine feet are common, so two panels of 6 1/2 feet would hang over each end of such a table by 2 feet at each end, which would not be unstable (unless you have table-top dancing following dessert!).

If you don't use table cloths, these panels could be made and finished to match the table you buy, by a cabinet shop.

By the way, what is a Danish Modern house? I'm intrigued. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 pm

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:04 pm

I thought I've seen the term Danish Modern used on this site! I don't think I am making this up!

Danish modern is different from that cool hip kinda modern that I fell in love with when i saw Futuragirls Eichler home (yes I bid and lost :()

Lots of very clean lines. Walls are usually white. We have wood floors with textured wallpaper painted white throughout the house. Exposed beams are painted black.

It is a lot like Ikea displays actually, which isn't surprising.

We bought it from a Danish woman who came here in the 70s wih her husband. She is in her 80s and a real trip. She blew the whole house out remodling. She cut and glued and mitered the kitchen cabnets herself (they are made of cedar!)

She also put a drop down wood cieling to cover the cottage cheese texture.

I plan on taking some pictures to show you guys and ask for tips.

On a very cool note, I went to my 20 yr high school reunion and hooked up with an old friend who is now an artist. He is designing a piece of art for me in colored glass which will look awesome with all this white everywhere. When it is finished, it is something else that I will post with picts.

Anyway, the table extensions are a good idea...I just wish I could find something a little more elegant so I wouldn't need a table cloth to come all the way to the floore to high the "lumber".

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:28 pm

sakla -- maybe you DO have a Danish Modern home! The term refers to the kind of furniture that was imported to America (and elsewhere) after the second world war from Scandinavia; it was sleek but with warm, "softened" forms; oiled teak in its natural color was the usual material. It has been an enduring style, and there are still retailers who specialize in today's Scandinavian offerings. But there hasn't been a corresponding architecture identified -- until now! Your home's previous owner has an interesting story to tell.

My suggestion was for two flat panels of plywood to be made; they would rest on top of a 9-foot extension table to make it even longer.
They wouldn't need legs if they were to extend only two feet at each end of the table. If they were not finished (stained and coated), ordinary tablecloths would conceal them. If you preferred, they could be fully finished to match the table and would be exposed. In either event, they could be stored in the back of a closet, under a bed or in the garage when not in use.

It sounds like IKEA will have a lot of what you need. If they don''t have a long enough extending dining table, there other retailers who will (I am out of the area, so someone else will have to advise you). Do you have dining chairs yet?

Glad you're with us! SDR

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Danish Modern?
Is that any thing like Jewish, Chinese Modern?
Oh. I'm sorry we are talking pastries? I'm confused...
So then whats in Watco Danish oil? Great Danes? Thats sad.
How do you get Danish from Denmark? it isn't Dennish?
Anders Fogh Rasmussen is the Prime Minister of Denmark, they want to name a College after him, Fogh U for short.
I'm really tired and it was so hot today...

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:05 pm

/looks worriedly at bananabob...

I haven't gotten chairs yet, but I have seen quite a few that I like. Figured it would be easier to match the chairs to the table rather then the other way around.

Good idead about the extension...I will think about that. Thanks!

BTW: Is this the correct forum for this sort of thing?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11 pm

I have never heard the term "Danish Modern" used to describe a house. Furniture? Yes. That's OK. I presume your home is 40-50 years old. For the sake of discussion, we'll call it mid-century modern.

Anyway, seating for 20? wow! Sounds like a fraternity. I have a danish modern table which seats 4 for normal times. I can extend to 8 in a couple of seconds and the extensions roll out from below the top. Maybe buy two exendable tables and run them end-to-end with easy set up. toss a table cloth over it. Yell "come and get it"

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:59 am

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:31 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:45 am

sakla,

My suggestion is you visit the for your area and do searches for "danish modern" or "mid century" or "retro" or "vintage" and try to find something you like there. Ikea is okay, but to paraphrase Luke_Trash, old is better.

Some people on craigslist abuse the name Eames. They think it is a style of furniture or they say stupid things like "Eames era". Someone here in Seattle must have chewed an "Eames era" person out because there was a post from the original poster apologizing for their ignorance.

When we had a wedding rehearsal dinner for 40 (I know-yikes) we took three long tables, put them end to end, then put pieces of 4x8 plywood on top and screwed them together underneath with blocks of wood where the corners meet. You could adapt this for your 20 people. If that doesn't make sense, sorry.

When my parents had bridge parties, they would set up 5 card tables around the family room, seating four people at each. Each table had its own 50s tablecloth. There - that seats 20 people!

roxy500

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:58 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:01 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:04 am

Quick - here's one of your two tables - go buy it!

This must be what you have, huh Joe? My sister has one and she's giving it to us this weekend.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:33 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:08 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:15 am

Good ideas. That Danish table is handsome; there are other types of gate-leg folding tables that could be used, thougth the ones mru mentions might be the ones that have a c 12" stationary center section (?) -- while these stand up as side pieces when folded, that center section would eat up too much space when ganged in a row as we're thinking, no?

The refinements of the table-top panels are good, with this exception: while the hinging of the pieces to each other seems good at first blush, it makes for a larger and heavier thing to fold, move and store (the two pieces wil be c 4 feet x 6 1/2 or 7 feet). I'd go for "cinching" hardware; we use luggage latches or special draw-tight latches made for the purpose (they're similar to window sash locks but have an alignment tab to keep the leaves roughly in plane). Larger hardware stores carry these. A spline or table pins (wooden bullet-shaped dowels) keep the leaves securely aligned. While hinges would eliminate the need for all this, consider the cautions mentioned above.

Definitely felt (or loose cloths?) to protect the table; and location blocks or strips (also with felt) would be ideal. Whatever hardwood plywood is chosen can be had in two matching sheets; a cabinetmaker would edgeband them (rounded corners?) and finish to match the "host" table.

SDR

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 am

"Quick - here's one of your two tables - go buy it! "

I saw this too!

Check this out...all I have to do is figure out how to get it form the UK!

http://wharfside.co.uk/longtable/longtable3.html

Click Next once you get there.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:19 am

that design is everywhere. don't need to have it shipped from the UK.

Looks contemporary, rather than Modern.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:19 am

"Click [table] to see table extensions"

Wow. Could this be the only one like that? I've never seen one with extra legs that appear. . .What is your floor material?

Ask them how much for shipping. . .or if they have a US distributor. How did you find this? Googling?

SDR

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:31 am

Joe, if you go back to that site and click back there is a darker version of it.

The straight lines and dark wood would fit pretty well with the room.

Have you seen these tables before?

SDR, my wife found it googling.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:31 am

I hope Joe can tell us where to shop for this.

I asked about the floor because this looks like a "drag-to-open" as opposed to one that can be lifted by a person at each end. Therefore, a hard floor surface and soft glides on the table is ideal; a carpeted floor and hard glides puts stress on the legs but would probably work. Straight-line casters (art least on the middle legs) would be ideal -- but "nobody" builds a table like that!

SDR

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:07 pm

Good point SDR...hard wood floors at the house;)

blenderama67
Modern Socialite

Postby blenderama67 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:56 pm

Not the right color, not the right price (STEEP!), only seats 12, but I just had to post it because I love the chairs... :h: :wink:

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/fur/85906745.html

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:33 pm

Now there's you Danish Modern! Handsome. . .

SDR

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Yeah, that is cool.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:01 pm

But it doesn't seem to be your style, or the style of your home, perhaps? What do your beautiful wood ceiling(s) look like? Are your cedar kitchen cabinets natural in color? Imagine having cabinets made by the owner!

SDR

sakla
Modern Fan

Postby sakla » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:07 pm

This place has a lot of character (which is why I bought it.)

The hallways have the drop down cieling. Planks of very blonde wood about 3" wide run down the length. Ever couple of feet a big chocolate colored beam breaks it up.

The same exposed chocolate beams can be found in the cielings and posts throughout the house.

At some point I will figure out how to post pictures of the place.

The cedar cabinets have a bit of red coloring to them which really set off the beams. Side benefit of the cedar...not expecting any bug problems in the kitchen, right?

Yes, the table is not right, but it doesn't stop me from liking the chairs!

designmatters
Modern Fan

I might have a solution

Postby designmatters » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:19 pm

I had a client who had a simmilar problem... needed to seat lots of people for formal dinners but didn't have room for a full-time large table or storage room for leaves. We went with 2 tables from Skovby (Interesting enough, a Danish company!)

http://www.skovby.com/index_uk.html

We went with a DC 04 table, which holds the leaves in the table itself. It looks great, too. We also got an SM 101. It looks like a cabinet, but is on wheels, and folds into a table. It could be your 'kiddie table' or just additional extension room.

They have many other types that will seat a range of people, check it out!

designmatters
Modern Fan

forgot to mention

Postby designmatters » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:20 pm

Sorry to double-post, but...

I forgot to mention that we got these tables at Plummer's in West LA. I'm sure they're available elsewhere locally too.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”