Blueprint designs and questions

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
paynedwp
Modern Groupie

Blueprint designs and questions

Postby paynedwp » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:01 am

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Modern Homes in Dallas

Postby Chrisgreen » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:44 am

I'm not sure I understand. You are building a new home in an older development in Dallas? Or trying to create a whole new subdivision with modern home designs in Dallas?

The current Dwell magazine has a feature on a street of brand-new, modern looking homes built in the Oak Lawn area of Dallas.

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:39 pm

an architect should be the first place to look

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:25 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:20 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Perhaps the architects should speak for themselves. . .[Bender flunked out of copywriting school].

paynedwp
Modern Groupie

Blueprints designs

Postby paynedwp » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:35 pm

OK I should have made a cleary statement.
I have renovated many a home in the last 20 years.
I was looking for Idea's and floor plans.
In the end I will approach an architect.

I have found most have Idea's of their own that they champion.
Or at best have lots of choices. I need to start by looking at a bunch of stuff and then looking for style keys.

So I was hoping for directions (other than Borders) to look into.

Yes it is a whole development of Mid and Modernistic.. Ground breaking in a few months...Wont be ready to start building till early next year. It came to my attention late so I was trying to get a jump start.

Dan

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:13 pm

Wellll. . .Do you have access to a city library, or book store(s) (at least to browse the architecture section?

A decent place to start might be a book called "Blueprints for Modern Living: History and Legacy of the Case Study Houses" (MIT, 1989). There are a lot of (small scale) floor plans, and plenty of photos and descriptions, of the Southern Californian brand of residential Modernism, c 1945-1966. And, also on the track of ORIGINAL period design, libraries with bound back issues of the "shelter magazines" (House Beautiful, House and Home, House and Garden etc etc) will have lots to look at, if you have the patience. You can photocopy your favorites, usually, if the bindings aren't too thick!

And, a few categories have entire websites devoted to a single architect or builder; I'm thinking if Eichler, who built homes designed by several distinguished architects of the period. Floor plans and illustrations can be studied and compared:

www.eichlersocal.com/GalleryMainFrame.htm
www.eichlerarchives.com
www.totheweb.com/eichler

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:29 pm

"Rear entry" is an interesting specification; how is that defined in this case? The main entry is not from the street, but from a rear drive or off-street pedestrian route?

SDR

paynedwp
Modern Groupie

Postby paynedwp » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:25 pm

"rear entry" = rear garage/entrance
the front is on water. a bridge comes to what will be the front entry...SO I was looking for a "Fallingwater" look but only one story and not so busy.

Thank again!!

paynedwp
Modern Groupie

Postby paynedwp » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:06 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:35 pm

paynedwp
Modern Groupie

Postby paynedwp » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:26 am

Yes I checked out the plan's. I like the Atrium effect and will steal that aspect... Thanks again!

savannah modern
Modern Groupie

how did it turn out

Postby savannah modern » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:06 pm

did you get an architect? who? do you have any pictures of the finished homes???

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm wondering if this is the development . . .

http://www.urbanreserve.net/index.php
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Interesting. I do see, from the satellite photos of the area, one house that was built with the front entry via a bridge over a pond. That seems to fit the bill. On the other hand, most of the houses seem to be two-story designs...
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”