UPDATE. Reno Pix...Well...we closed...updating and styling

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

UPDATE. Reno Pix...Well...we closed...updating and styling

Postby sloanfiske » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:35 am

See the Before/After Pix below. It's only been a couple years.

we found a remarkably cool one owner 1956 custom built MCM in Croton-on-Hudson, NY and after 3.5 months, we finally closed. The whole house was wood paneled (i'm talking every room with cheap thin ply) with contrasting tounge and groove sandblasted pine ceilings, but the bones and layout are fantastic. we, unfortunately, we unable to rescue the original kitchen cabinets, which we relocated to a work room, along with the original fridge (shot) and wall oven (shot). we plan on keeping true to the orginal ideas behind the house, but changing some things to help with energy efficiency and a more up to date lifestyle...much like Chimera's Palmer and Kessel in San Diego.

we have the lower level to the studs, as we needed to update electrical, and will sheetrock most of the house save for the celings and a couple of the original walls.

of course, the shock of space after moving from an apt. in brooklyn is staggering.

the house is below. the shack off the house is an addition from 1962 which, albiet scary, we have grown to love. I'll post more picts as we finish.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Image[/img]
Last edited by sloanfiske on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:56 am

congratulations! Love the birch (or maple, can't tell) paneling.

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:23 am

roxy500
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby roxy500 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:37 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:30 am

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

the panelling

Postby sloanfiske » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:31 am

while the paneling looks great in the photos...it's not so charming in person. we are planning on leaving it in a number of places, like the office and on the hallway walls. downstairs, the ceilings are under 8 feet and really closed in the space...so it's gone down to the studs in the two bedrooms and the family room. we are leaving the ceiling in the large family room, esp after I discovered that the ceiling was put in before all of the walls.

as far as the "shack"...its actually tied to the floor joices in the main house and from the cantilevered deck at the foundation.

all of the house is well engineered, as that was the previous owners profession.

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:04 pm

Have fun but take your time.

Let this house reveal itself to you ... Anybody agree about "taking time?"
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:45 pm

No question that it's a good idea to live in it a while 'as is' before making any major changes, and also to take your time. While the changes we made to our place were rather extensive, we did modify our plan as a result of living there for six months before doing any work.

Things that may seem strange or quirky may become obvious and logical once you've had time to live with them.

Anyway, great house. Congratulations. I look forward to seeing how the work progresses. Feel free to ask us for advice, as many on this board have already gone through the process once or twice.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

PacificaModern
Modern Master

Postby PacificaModern » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:26 pm

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:02 pm

I agree that one should take one's time before embarking on major changes. But I also understand the appeal of making minor fixes that will make things better while you take the time to think about (and save up for) the major remodels.

Tomorrow I want to create a walkway to the porch of our house with $114 of round aggregate pavers from Home Depot. Clearly our front yard could use a whole lot more work than this (the screen in front of the AC unit would make a world of difference). But right now there is no way to walk up to the house without carefully stepping around the cars that crowd the driveway, or walking through the plant area in the front.

Anyway, my husband is disappointed that I want to address this issue in a timely and inexpensive manner. He thinks (and is probably right) that I should sketch the whole yard and show several different scenarios and different materials, etc etc etc, before starting work on anything. But I know that what this means in reality is that we, and our guests, will have to scooch past the wet, dirty cars in the driveway all winter long.

When we come up with a grand vision for the front yard in the future, I will not be sad to see the 23 $4.97 pavers go away. I actually think it will be easier for me to envision a great front yard as soon as the mental block of the no-walkway issue is resolved. And I am certainly not stopping him from creating dream sketches of the front yard.

Is it wrong for me to want to take $114 action tomorrow (probably my last vacation day of the year), or would it be better to continue to take no action now and wait until every inch is planned out?

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:03 pm

(Of course, if I lived in sloanfiske's house, I would definitely take no action because the house is so GORGEOUS as it is...)

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 am

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:12 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:30 am

sloanfiske:

I know this issue was from another thread, but I picked up an amazing Sunset gook from the fifties called, Garages and Carports. It has some examples of carports from sites steeper than yours.

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:44 am

thanks for the tip. i'll keep my eyes out for a copy. i'll see how digging out of one winter leaves me...because i have a feeling that it's gonna be a spring project.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:48 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:02 am

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:30 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:34 am

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:40 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:02 am

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:01 am

the existing cedar is smooth plank, not grained and doesn't even really look like cedar up close, just looks like planks stuck to the house, which was why we going with the with the hardi. but i'll ask the contractors.

thanks for the input.

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

thanks

Postby sloanfiske » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 am

moderns...

thanks for the heads up on the hardiplank. since i hadn't done all my homework... we are going to just replace the planks that need to be done instead.

our house would have looked mighty funny.

landscape foundation is finished...downstairs finish work starts tomorrow (and looks like we'll include some armstrong vct in a couple of areas)...kitchen starts on monday.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:49 am

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 pm

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

finally

Postby sloanfiske » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:22 am

sortof done :roll:

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:21 pm

Sloanfiske, I feel need to tell you that I really enjoyed admiring all the fantastic works that you've done to your property. It's a gorgeous place.

I may just have to come back to this particular thread and enjoy it all over again.

Thanks for the eye candy treats! :D

denagirl
Modern Fan

Postby denagirl » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:34 pm

Love it, I find it so inspiring. I have a question for you regarding your sofa in white, is it the Petrie from CB? We are looking at it as well but I was worried about the cushions not holding up since they seemed thin? How do you like it? It looks great, we sat in it at the store and it is comfortable. But just wanted to make sure it would hold up.

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:45 am

mykatjim
Modern Fan

Postby mykatjim » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:06 pm

sloanfiske - where did you get that light above your dining room table? i LOVE it!!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”