100 Ways to Improve Your Mid-Century Modern Home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:07 am

Along the lines of 21 not 22!

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:29 pm

As I drove home late this afternoon, I passed a neighbor's house that had -- in the space of one day -- had its cedar shingles removed and replaced with new Eichler siding. It still needs to be stained, but my, what an improvement!

A song for you

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:45 pm

Sienna wrote:Undo the 100 atrocities in the thread below:

I'd love to read comments about it. "A plea, for pastoral plains and sunny fields, for eagles and zeal, for brave-hearted quiddity, for the gleefulness and mirth of the lanterns, and the fundamental pillars of life."

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:10 am

Quiddity, indeed !* Would tha' this guest become a Permanent Blessing to our fair Board. . .!

SDR :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

* 1) the essential quality of a thing. 2) a trifling distinction. (Webster)
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 am

Get your neighbors together and have a tour to show them how it SHOULD be done.

oh wait we're doing that this weekend....
including putting together a chart on what adds value / what subtract svalue / and how to mitigate what's wrong with your house!

I'm borrowing some tips from the "101 ways to screw up your home" thread and thought i'd revive this one!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

JGropp
Special Secret Modern Agent

exactly what I would do-

Postby JGropp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:04 am

KateT(CA) wrote:1. Buy one. Buy two
if you can. Buy a really dilapidated/remuddled
one for restoration & preservation. (We are in
process of buying at least one). Kate

If I were starting all over again (God forbid),
that's exactly what I would do. More working
with the tools, less with pencil & T-Square. J-

Our Lopez weekend cottage built w/o power.

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA
98040 (206)612-7367
eMail
JGropp2@AOL.com
http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:18 am

1. Buy one. Buy two if you can. Buy a really dilapidated/remuddled one for restoration & preservation. (We are in process of buying at least one)
2. Replacing large single pane glass with double pane units in colder climates by setting new insulated units into the existing wood window wall and adding new wood stops of the same profile.
3. Ripping off those cheap asphalt shingles and putting down a nice new modified bitumen. Replace all your decking while at it (pictures up as soon as my roofer is finished!)
4. Rip out those cheesy suburban foundation plantings and replace them with a cool modern landscape like Pacifica's.
5. Remove very cute, but unfortuanely inapproapriate, daisy crystal chandeliers and replace with streamlined round glass Eichler globes.
6. Strip gaudy metallic gold red flocked wallpaper and replace with vintage grasscloth.
7. Tear off wall to wall vinyl flooring with floral pattern circa 1984 and install new Armstrong VCT floor
8. Tear out the ugly black wrought iron fence, and put in a nice modern looking grapestake slat one made of redwood or cedar.
9. For those on a concrete slab...remove the carpet or vinyl tile and polish the cement (see SID'S old house)
10. rather than paint the existing sheetrock walls, put in some birch or lauan paneling and give it a nice stined finish. Believe it or not, it actually makes the room feel bigger.
11. take out the bad tile countertop in the kitchen (the one with all the grout lines to collect dirt and bacteria)and replace it with a nice formica or terrazzo one.
12. Replace the bad front doors with some nice flat panel ones, and while you're at it...get rid of those brass doorknobs and put in some nice modern Schalge stainless steel ones.
13. Tear out the creeping vines growing all over everything surrounding the house.
14. Add some nice Nelson Bubble lamps in appropriate places. They instantly give your house a modern feel
15. Remove the garden gnomes and cute angels and put a few tikis in their place
16. Replace the white vinyl grid windows with some nice aluminum Milgard ones
17. Take out the Roses in the front yard (the ones that makes it look like an 80 year old woman lived there) and put in some nice horsetail reed or fountaingrass.
18. Go meet your neighbors and get them on the bandwagon too.
19. Embrace your atrium and make it the center of your house by installing a Koi pond/fountain. The sound of running water is better than Yoga.
20. Replace the colonial looking coach light on the front of the house with an appropriate mcm original or a simple geometric one if you can't find an original.

21. Glass, Glass, and more Glass (especially if it opens to the outside world)

22. Resist the urge to paint everything WHITE. If ceiling beams are painted outside, use paint to match them up with interior ones. Do a wall or two in a bright accent color. Look at vintage photos (not contemporary ones) to see that people weren't afraid of color when these houses were built.

23. Hack off that lousy stucco that the previous owner slathered on top of your ribbed Eichler style wooden siding! Restore the siding and give it a nice coat of some pretty color like Necco Wafer pastel lime!

24. Strip any nasty paint off the fireplace.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Rip the new cheap wooden econo-floor out of the foyer and replace with the random pattern, multicolor glossed slate that used to be there in 1965.

JGropp

Lots of pot shots-

Postby JGropp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Lots of pot shots- that's what happens
when you have these Open Houses. J-

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:16 am

1. Buy one. Buy two if you can. Buy a really dilapidated/remuddled one for restoration & preservation. (We are in process of buying at least one)
2. Replacing large single pane glass with double pane units in colder climates by setting new insulated units into the existing wood window wall and adding new wood stops of the same profile.
3. Ripping off those cheap asphalt shingles and putting down a nice new modified bitumen. Replace all your decking while at it (pictures up as soon as my roofer is finished!)
4. Rip out those cheesy suburban foundation plantings and replace them with a cool modern landscape like Pacifica's.
5. Remove very cute, but unfortuanely inapproapriate, daisy crystal chandeliers and replace with streamlined round glass Eichler globes.
6. Strip gaudy metallic gold red flocked wallpaper and replace with vintage grasscloth.
7. Tear off wall to wall vinyl flooring with floral pattern circa 1984 and install new Armstrong VCT floor
8. Tear out the ugly black wrought iron fence, and put in a nice modern looking grapestake slat one made of redwood or cedar.
9. For those on a concrete slab...remove the carpet or vinyl tile and polish the cement (see SID'S old house)
10. rather than paint the existing sheetrock walls, put in some birch or lauan paneling and give it a nice stined finish. Believe it or not, it actually makes the room feel bigger.
11. take out the bad tile countertop in the kitchen (the one with all the grout lines to collect dirt and bacteria)and replace it with a nice formica or terrazzo one.
12. Replace the bad front doors with some nice flat panel ones, and while you're at it...get rid of those brass doorknobs and put in some nice modern Schalge stainless steel ones.
13. Tear out the creeping vines growing all over everything surrounding the house.
14. Add some nice Nelson Bubble lamps in appropriate places. They instantly give your house a modern feel
15. Remove the garden gnomes and cute angels and put a few tikis in their place
16. Replace the white vinyl grid windows with some nice aluminum Milgard ones
17. Take out the Roses in the front yard (the ones that makes it look like an 80 year old woman lived there) and put in some nice horsetail reed or fountaingrass.
18. Go meet your neighbors and get them on the bandwagon too.
19. Embrace your atrium and make it the center of your house by installing a Koi pond/fountain. The sound of running water is better than Yoga.
20. Replace the colonial looking coach light on the front of the house with an appropriate mcm original or a simple geometric one if you can't find an original.

21. Glass, Glass, and more Glass (especially if it opens to the outside world)

22. Resist the urge to paint everything WHITE. If ceiling beams are painted outside, use paint to match them up with interior ones. Do a wall or two in a bright accent color. Look at vintage photos (not contemporary ones) to see that people weren't afraid of color when these houses were built.

23. Hack off that lousy stucco that the previous owner slathered on top of your ribbed Eichler style wooden siding! Restore the siding and give it a nice coat of some pretty color like Necco Wafer pastel lime!

24. Strip any nasty paint off the fireplace.

25. Get the neighbors involved. Try to get everyone into the revitalization of the neighborhood.

JGropp

A Great Post- well worth reading-

Postby JGropp » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:15 am

A whole lot of good ideas here. JG

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”