Bathroom ideas?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Bathroom ideas?

Postby Sienna » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:50 am

Just wondering what kinds of looks there are out there for bathrooms. We have white tub, white sink, white toilet. The floors will be polished concrete throughout the entire house. The guest bathroom is very small and the master bathroom is only slightly larger.

No pink, no blue, as the house colors will be in the brownish-orange scheme. We're looking for simple design, nothing nostalgic yet, we want a timeless mcm look.

If it helps, the house is a Cliff May Rancho

:cheers:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:05 am

Sienna, you can easily drop $20-$30K into a bathroom and have it dated with in a couple years. Kitchens and bathrooms get remodeled the most. I just finished our main bath and here's what we did...

walls: installed basic white ceramic tiles door-height high on the three main walls and tub surround.

floors: carried classic black VCT from the rest of the house into bathroom.

toilet: went with a basic white toilet from HD

tub: while I really loved our pink Briggs tub, our matching toilet and sink were long gone and pink tile not found. So we hired bathcrest to color it white and we are quite pleased. Like new

shower curtain: found an obscure-clear curtain at BB&B with simple rail. we could have installed a sliding tub door, but decided they are too tough to clean

vanity: restored original with sliding cabinet doors. Installed new white formica/plywood counter top with matching metal edge trim from the kitchen counters. Installed white oval Kholer metal rimmed sink with basic faucet.

other details: The cheapest metal towel racks at Home Depot are exactly like what was original. basic mirror install behind vanity. We used white gloss enamel paint on vanity, ceiling. Installed new, basic tub/shower fixtures. stainless switch plate and black plug/switch (throughout house). Birch door with stainless hardware

The color scheme is black, white, and stainless/chrome. We'll use towels and a couple nifty framed vintage ads to add color and interest. It's a brand new, period friendly bathroom. (yes, photos are coming)

total cost of the redo, including labor (we only did some demo): about $2000

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:51 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

One thing I absolutely don't like

Postby modfan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:04 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

What about cork?

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:27 pm

modfan

Seems to me that

Postby modfan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 pm

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

staying original?

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:27 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Seems to me that

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:31 pm

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:35 pm

My hubby and I have noticed in a lot of friends' original MCM bathrooms that they always seem to be outdated by like 10 years or so to the construction date of the house...i.e. a 60s house still has a 50s looking bathroom. Does anyone see that as well?

If you go with tile I suggest small tile, no bigger than 4x4 or brick size....we had big 10x10 tiles in our old house in the tiny bathrooms and it made them look even smaller, not to mention claustrophobic!!!

I'm not so crazy about the mosaic "italian" style clear or frosted glass .75x.75 tile because it has such a modern look as opposed to classic MCM look, but the original mosaic tile in my bathroom now looks very nice. Wish it were on the walls too and not just the shower floor.

I saw this tile called penny-tile....dime sized tiles on a mesh grid. It was fantastic! There's also hex-shaped mini tile on mesh but that is a REAL 40s look in my opinion, tho still classic...

There's always a decision to be made....Modern vs. MCM; does anyone else agree that these are too very different things???

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: What about cork?

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:13 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:22 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:29 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:43 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:44 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:02 pm

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:17 pm

modfan

One thing you may want to think about

Postby modfan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:34 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: One thing you may want to think about

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:55 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:52 am

Last edited by Joe on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

modfan

That sink is

Postby modfan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:52 am

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:55 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:24 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:26 am

Last edited by Joe on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:28 am

OK, I've tried to restrain myself from participating in this conversation, but I can't resist anymore. So I'll dive in, even thought what I'm going to say will sound contradictory and even hypocritical, probably...

Anyway, the way I see it is that what we have here is a bit of a conflict between two opposing schools of thought - the MCM preservationists and the modernists.

To paraphrase a friend of mine (who also happens to live in a beautifully restored P&K in our neighborhood) - modernism needs to live and evolve or it dies. I'm not interested in living in a museum of how people lived in 1959. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the styles, designs, and architecture of the time. But there's ALWAYS room for improvement. And those same architects who are still alive today will be the first to tell you that (William Krisel, Homer Delawie, for example). In my humble opinion, it's more important to reflect the spirit of the time than to put in the same crappy plastic Moen faucets just because that was what was there first. Isn't modernism supposed to be about taking risks, new ideas?

My view on the original bathrooms of the more modest MCM homes (tract homes, mostly, like P&Ks, Cliff May Ranchos) is that it reflected the spirit of the day, when people didn't expect to have more than one tiny bathroom for three or even four bedrooms. Hence, the classic scene you see in old movies and sitcoms where the poor, hapless father keeps getting locked out of the bathroom in the morning because his wife and kids are always in there.

When builders started putting a master bath in homes around the late 50s, early 60s, it was pretty revolutionary and considered a luxury to have it at all - even though they were tiny and more utilitarian than spa-like. Also, the plumbing fixtures used (especially in the tract homes) were the cheapest, most basic things available right out of the Home Depot equivalent at the time. The fact is, about the least modern things in these homes were the bathrooms. But nobody had spent anytime thinking about how to improve the bathroom yet for tract homes. And those crappy faucets and fixtures were pretty much all that was available, so that's what they had to use. When they did have access to the latest technologies and appliances (Thermador and GE kitchens, for example), they used them willingly. If they had had access to things like hansgrohe and kohler faucets and sinks, I'm pretty sure they would have used them. As it's been pointed out already here, modern things tend to go very well in these modernist homes, regardless of the era they come from, without necessarily looking dated.

It all comes down to personal preference, perhaps. I don't mean to sound pedantic about it. Quite the opposite. But personally, I think that something like these faucets...

...looks a lot more appropriate in a modernist post & beam house than something like this (original fixtures)...

Anyway, we're all free to do what we like. But I personally think that it's a bit silly to sacrifice comfort or aesthetics simply because back in the day they only had cheap, crappy stuff available and hadn't gotten around to thinking about modernism as it applied to bathrooms. Like I said in a previous thread on kitchens, if I lived in a 17th century French chateau, I probably wouldn't be doing all of my cooking in a cauldron suspended in the fireplace, and in a woodburning oven. I wouldn't have any qualms about installing a kitchen with modern appliances. So why is it any different here!?

Oh, and for the record, the bathroom is my wife's favorite place in the house. She can literally spend hours in there. So it was a priority for her. It was a priority for me because when I'm bleary-eyed in the morning and stumble in there, it cheers me up to see something nice, open, light-filled, clean, minimalist, and airy. Depends on one's priorities, I suppose. Call me trendy.

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:41 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: That sink is

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:43 am

Chimay