Bathroom ideas?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:41 pm

Wow. Did you mentioned you designed those fish tiles yourself? Nice work!

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:56 am

jva wrote:Wow. Did you mentioned you designed those fish tiles yourself? Nice work!

Thanks!

Yep I made the fish tiles at a little Ceramic place thats near my house....
I ended up paying $50 all together for the 10 of them (which was the cost of the tiles, using the shops paint, getting them glazed and fired)
It wasn't exactly cheap in the end for those but it was worth it to have exactly what I wanted... :D

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:08 pm

A couple nights ago I visited the house of a friend who has Armstrong VCTs in her kitchen. She advised against using them in the bathroom because water can seep into the cracks between the tiles (unlike grouted ceramic/slate tiles or gross roll-on vinyl flooring). She said she has to wax her kitchen floor all the time to keep the cracks water-resistant.

Joe -- It sounds like you're really happy with the VCTs in your bathroom. What, if anything, do you do to maintain them?

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:57 pm

the terrazzo floor in my mom's mcm shower stall still looks great after 40 years - that and the small multicolored ceramic mosaic tiles in same stall are priceless. Prolly pretty pricey to install these days.

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:29 pm

Oh no, Sumu, terazzo shower pans are readily available as are ceramic mosaic tile.

photowoman68
Modern Fan

shower pans

Postby photowoman68 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:42 pm

JX,
I searched for sumu terrazo shower pans and nothing came up. Can you tell me where I can purchase one? How much are they?
Thanks.
"If you want a more interesting life, you couldn't do anything better than live within fine architecture"-John Lautner- Architect

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:58 pm

Sumu is the member's name.

Try just "terrazzo shower base" on google.

Here is one link I had.

http://www.albertsterling.com/mop_sink.htm

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:43 pm

After using the downstairs bathroom for months on end, we're finally working on that upstairs bathroom. We're leaving the existing fake marble stuff all around the tub but painting the rest of the walls (white) and tiling the floor. For the sink, we're going to get a small Ikea vanity. I think we'll use wood molding for the floor and possibly matching bullnose tile for the sink backsplash.

I was finally able to find a tile that would go with white walls, almond tub/toilet, and fake almond/gold/copper marble.

The Corten A tile shown here:

http://www.stonesource.com/metallica.html

I love the tile. I think it's what I might choose even if we were doing a high-end remodel instead of a temporary, lame one. Our bathroom is so tiny that it didn't cost too much more.

Also, we're so naive about these things that we thought we could just buy it from the tile place in the industrial area near our house. It turns out they don't sell retail, but another customer took pity on us and let us buy at cost through their business account.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Chimay wrote:Actually, SDR, what I'm trying to say is that all things mid-century are not necessarily "mid-century modern".

bringing this topic back up again for further explanation...

lots of things happened in the Middle of the 20th Century, aka "Mid Century." And even the Modern Committee differentiates the difference in their preservation brochure. There are design trends from the Mid Century that evoke a rockabilly chrome finish glass block Johnny Rocket's style. And there are the sleeker lines of Modernism. There is a subtle, but distinct difference between them.

I would love to see more discussion of these terms and principles in this thread:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... definition
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

alyssa
Modern Fan

Postby alyssa » Fri May 05, 2006 1:04 pm

Amazing photos! My favorite link was this one: http://www.totheweb.com/eichler/ I love the style and look of that house, amazing.

We just moved into a new house, its only 3 years old and in beautiful condition but is so blah in terms of color and fixtures. It has so much potential and so many things I want to do but I have to buget them in somehow.

I really want to pull out the bathroom counter and mirror and put a pedastal sink, I have always wanted one of them and it would make the bathroom so much bigger. thanks for all the ideas!
Alyssa Anders
Modular Homes information, Resources and more at Modular Today.

East Coaster
Modern Groupie

Postby East Coaster » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 pm

It's important that a bathroom be functional, but you want it comfortable too.

When I bought my home three years ago, the halfbath in the master bedroom was a mishmash, thanks to the previous owner who I call "The Loon". He put in a white toilet, kept the peach sink attached to the wall, covered all vertical surfaces with with blue flowered wallpaper, and glued scruffy pink carpet directly to the subfloor. The lights consisted of a mirror 4-ball lightbulb strip.

I put in 2x2 light gray matte tile, stripped the walls down to the original plaster and painted aqua. I refinished the original medicine cabinet, replaced the sink with a light wood mission-style cabinet and white drop-in sink with nickel hardware and faucet, and put in nickel low-wattage pendant lights.

One original feature I refinished and kept was a square stainless steel recessed area that opens to reveal a toothbrush holder. The original sink was given to a plumbing company specializing in salvaging plumbing fixtures for reuse. All in all, a nice refit for about $400 and some sweat equity.

Next, I have to renovate the pink tile bathroom, where the Loon knocked out half the tile to install his own surround and medicine cabinet. Does anyone have an opinion on subway tile?
Regards,
Christine 'East Coaster'

"Noble life demands a noble architecture for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall. " - Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867-1959

MeiselmanFan
Modern Groupie

Postby MeiselmanFan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:43 pm

Each to his or her own but I'd like to point out that's it hard in the present to determine what is trendy or what is going to be classic. Right now in Palm Springs everyone is doing the bowl-sinks and glass tiles which are beginning to look cliche. There is an Alexander which was redone three years ago when I moved here and looked absolutely fabulous - then. Now it is for sale and it looks tired - dated.

nicobus
Modern Fan

Postby nicobus » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:02 pm

So I stumbled upon this heated discussion tonight and what a discussion it is! All points were aptly given and I sided with some more than others. Thought I would throw in my two-cents, while not on the differences between MCM purists and MCM modernists, but rather on inexpensive ways to update a small bathroom. We tackled that issue last year with a small bathroom/shower in our house (a 2nd bathroom). We stumbled across some slate being sold at an Expo center that was going out of business by our home. 1$ a square foot! I know a bit trite to some (slate that is) but with that kind of a deal we could not resist! We wanted the look of a floating countertop to hold the sink we also got for a steal (same place) so here's what we did:
Took a piece of plywood board and built a frame of sorts, think a drawer flipped upside down. That way we could bring plumbing, etc down no issues. Then we covered it with a cherrywood veneer. After which we coated about 4 times with a polyurethane. Since this is a secondary bathroom, it is not used as often so there wasn't a "heavy usage" worry. But i must say it has gotten a lot of use and has been holding up great! The whole room cost us about $500.....

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:35 pm

tikiyaki wrote:...yea, and only on Lotta Livin would someone say "hey, great bathroom" when it looks like it's all original from the 50's, instead of "god, you really need to update"

Ah, not so! Lookey Lookey!

http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/ViewIte ... f95c87f272

And my personal project...

http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/ViewIte ... 6c57584ada

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:21 am

JXBrown wrote:Oh no, Sumu, terazzo shower pans are readily available as are ceramic mosaic tile.

Yes but the classic 2 inch, 2 x 1 , and 1 inch square edged solid mosaic tiles are not produced to my knowledge. They are made, to some extent in China. I used those tiles in my bathroom project and they were only 1.50 a square foot and superior to any of the glazed junk I have seen in tile stores today. I did buy extra boxes of tile for future projects. Terrazzo you can do yourself at home.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:02 am

Q for tallrock:
Given that terrazzo is typically composed of marble or stone chips and Portland Cement, with the surface then ground smooth and sealed, I am curious how "you can do yourself at home."

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:34 pm

easy for a seasoned DIY'r. (terrazzo)
to tired to step by step it. i've done it a dozen times.

more important question. and it's all about my needs.
FLW had, or it still exists, a floor to ceiling stainless 1/2 bath in his
Taliesin studio. was it a private bath? has anyone seen it or photographed
it? i saw a photo once somewhere. and recently. a glance and a bad photo.
driving me nuts! well, not really. i care more about a door knob right now...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Buckminster Fuller did all stainless steel bathrooms. The picture I remember was in the Thomas Hines Neutra book. In the Brown house, Windshield

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:56 pm

i'll look into that. i may have that book. i still have books in boxes. i have three stainless sinks. even the
prison toilet and sink. new. but creeps a friend of mine that spent a night on rikers islnd. (DWI) idiot.
i've taken his keys so many times.(i was not with him that night). idiot
i'm one of those people that obeys all laws...

i've printed the original house plans on tyvek,(gorgeous!) to use as a wallpaper on the upper walls. the 'wainscot'
will be concrete, like floors. i'll wax them.
i have some boxes of slate tiles. may end up in the edit. i think i'll cary the concrete down onto the floor. may add
a terrazzo pebble, but seems odd now. simple stainless and concrete, with the vintage murals up above.

it's a 1/2 bath in my studio. on the lower level. not removing anything important. the sink is kohler '62, round and
grand, but i'll find it a good home. too small for brush cleaning etc.

the OPO traveled and collected tiles from around the globe. stuck them up on the walls. then had them removed
unsuccessfully. i see it as a scratch coat for a concrete finish.

i'll photo the process. my main living area upstairs is such a bloody museum, i need a design challenge in my studio.

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:06 am

scowsa wrote:Q for tallrock:
Given that terrazzo is typically composed of marble or stone chips and Portland Cement, with the surface then ground smooth and sealed, I am curious how "you can do yourself at home."

It's a lot easier than making your own ceiling tiles, which I also do! If you can mix concrete you can make terrazzo. The time consuming part is the grinding. You can do it dry with special high speed disks or wet with a homemade concrete stone with embedded abrasives like I do. It's CHEAP and gorgeous, which is why it was so pupular in the past. You must harden your floor with silicates otherwise it will be a dusty disaster. When I move and build a new home I will document the process with pictures this time.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

iwantarummer
Modern Fan

Postby iwantarummer » Sat May 24, 2008 4:37 pm

check out http://www.onestopmodern for amazing modern sink faucets, bath combos, and other hardware.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 am

Link was incorrectly written, it's
http://onestopmodern.com/

Also, this looks like a straight ad placement, as the suggested site has little to do with the thread discussion, apart from selling bathroom items.
scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”