Bathroom ideas?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:35 am

To clarify, I probably wouldn't do much - if anything - to a bathroom in a Neutra house. But it's a different matter entirely when talking about a tract home. I don't treat tract homes with exactly the same degree of reverence as I would, say, a Case Study Home.

Of course, I know first-hand that the owners of such monuments to modernism do grow tired of living in them because of the responsibility of living in essentially a museum. As wonderful as it may sound to own one (I know that I dream of it frequently), it does get pretty old having to deal with self-righteous people constantly telling you what you can and cannot do to your house, and demanding access to it for tours, etc. as if it were their right to do so. It's not fun being awakened at 7AM on a Sunday morning by a crowd of architecture students from Germany looking through your bedroom window with cameras.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:06 am

Chimay wrote:I agree with the cantilevered cabinet idea. That's what I did in our bathroom (see photos on other thread). Had them built cheaply out of MDF and then used IKEA cabinet doors and hinges to give them a finished look.

That's a great idea. I bet that cost much less than the $1500 they want for the Kohler double-vanity.

Also, I just wanted to let you know how much I identified with your long post on the last page; I think that describes my sentiments perfectly.

Stephen

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:24 am

Our bathrooms were remodeled/renovated - whatever you want to call it. None of the materials used (concrete, glass, nickel plated hardware, chrome, ceramic) are new to the original house...

Master (a photographer I'm not...):

1/2 Bath (ditto...):

Sienna

Re: I like

Postby Sienna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:40 am

modfan wrote:What kinda med. cab. did ya go with, if any?

The med cabinet that was there when we bought the house is a simple rectangle with rectangle flaps on each side. The middle mirror opens to reveal a medicine cabinet. I'm not sure if this is original but I might keep it or just get something just as simple, maybe with a wooden frame, or still, a chrome frame.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:26 pm

Well, who'd have known that bathrooms could cause so much debate and a fair amount of emotion.

So, just to add my tuppence worth:

Sienna, back there somewhere, stated "I want simplicity but will all this white, grey and chrome be too bland?"

In my view, no, as you can always use bath mats and towels to add color -- such as some of those good value, graphic designs from West Elm http://ww1.westelm.com/cat/index.cfm?template=8grid&src=shpcbed%7Crshop%2Fhme&cid=bedtow&area=shp

We have all white, floor to ceiling, smaller tiles of different sizes in both of our bathrooms and it's a lot easier to change a color scheme with new bath mats and towels, rather than be regretting color tile choices 5 years down the road.

Also, in support of the "Chimay school", modern for me means a design aethestic which my wife and I look to reflect in all of our choices, whether its faucets or just the cabinet door handles. Of course, the "function" of the item is also important and one looks for a combination. For example, for me those cantilevered cabinets, while stylish, also offer the bonus of freeing up floor space and thus help make a bathroom look larger and less claustrophobic.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:33 pm

scowsa wrote:Well, who'd have known that bathrooms could cause so much debate and a fair amount of emotion.

So, just to add my tuppence worth:

Sienna, back there somewhere, stated "I want simplicity but will all this white, grey and chrome be too bland?"

In my view, no, as you can always use bath mats and towels to add color -- such as some of those good value, graphic designs from West Elm http://ww1.westelm.com/cat/index.cfm?template=8grid&src=shpcbed%7Crshop%2Fhme&cid=bedtow&area=shp

We have all white, floor to ceiling, smaller tiles of different sizes in both of our bathrooms and it's a lot easier to change a color scheme with new bath mats and towels, rather than be regretting color tile choices 5 years down the road.

Also, in support of the "Chimay school", modern for me means a design aethestic which my wife and I look to reflect in all of our choices, whether its faucets or just the cabinet door handles. Of course, the "function" of the item is also important and one looks for a combination. For example, for me those cantilevered cabinets, while stylish, also offer the bonus of freeing up floor space and thus help make a bathroom look larger and less claustrophobic.

I didnt want to spend $400 - $800 on a cantilevered cabinet so I got a $100 pedestal sink that helps open up the space well too.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:07 pm

Sienna wrote:
I didnt want to spend $400 - $800 on a cantilevered cabinet so I got a $100 pedestal sink that helps open up the space well too.

I agree and I was not really campaigning for a cantilevered cabinet but pointing out that the design allows the function of storage while still visually freeing up floor space. While a pedestal, or wall hung, sink also frees up floor space you then need something else for storage, so it's not really an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:14 pm

scowsa wrote:Sienna wrote:

I agree and I was not really campaigning for a cantilevered cabinet but pointing out that the design allows the function of storage while still visually freeing up floor space. While a pedestal, or wall hung, sink also frees up floor space you then need something else for storage, so it's not really an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

True but like Isadi in a prvious post, I dont have alot to store in the guest bathroom

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:08 pm

To answer Sienna's question: The scheme sounds good to me; in the same vein, I think Joe will be happier with each passing month that he didn't add arbitrary -- if fun, and even "historic" -- random colored tiles to his walls. Color can be added *temporarily* with towels, plants and/or art -- but to commit permanently to a color choice in such a small place seems unnecessary and potentially regrettable. The metallic and cool neutral palette seems perfectly appropriate to a modernist -- or any -- bathroom. Water, hygiene, calmness. . .and the Japanese restraint and modesty that we associate with much of the modern aesthetic.

Maybe the body, and the face, "should be" the most colorful things in the bathroom?

On the other hand, there is progressive modernism and, separately, the sybaritic indulgences. Take your pick? There are, clearly, different "kinds'"of modernism, and of lifestyle. Mere privacy, and clean hot and cold running water, have long since ceased to be valued luxuries (as they are, in much of the world) and instead have become our birthright. Many, however, still gain pleasure from these simple things. . .

A sink that can only be used (carefully) to rinse one's hands or face, seems an odd forfeiting of choice and functionality -- even if one seldom fills the basin, shouldn't that be an option, for those special occasions, or guests with different habits?

As to the rimmed drop-in, the undermount sink (as has been mentioned) eliminates that small curb and allows one to "sweep" water and debris into the sink. That probably explains their increased popularity.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

a safe start

Postby MikeLindsey » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:24 am

In my view, no, as you can always use bath mats and towels to add color

I agree with scowsa and SDR. Keep the bathroom simple with the colors you had originally decided on. Experiment with temporary items such as bath mats and towels, maybe a small piece of artwork as you can always change that. I prefer not having photos of the home owners in the bathroom, it gives the bathroom a peeping tom feel.

Sienna

Re: a safe start

Postby Sienna » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:13 pm

MikeLindsey wrote:

In my view, no, as you can always use bath mats and towels to add color

I prefer not having photos of the home owners in the bathroom, it gives the bathroom a peeping tom feel.

LoL

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:17 pm

Lively thread!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:35 pm

here's mine. not too "tasteful" for some. clean, functional, classic. Did I say SMALL?

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:39 pm

Joe wrote:here's mine. not too "tasteful" for some. clean, functional, classic. Did I say SMALL?

Nice and clean...but what's all that "stuff" on the vanity and toilet?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:47 pm

sorry, I don't live in a dwell spread or a museum. what you see is my wife's fish collection of a soap dispenser, Kleenex dispenser, candle holder... I'll art direct better next time!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:46 am

Joe wrote:here's mine. not too "tasteful" for some. clean, functional, classic. Did I say SMALL?

Joe,

This is interesting since it appears my guest bathroom is a different size than yours.

In mine the room is actually longer (door to window) but some of the space is taken up by a linen closet next to the vanity. The linen closet has doors in the hallway. Also, the toilet and vanity are transposed in both my baths with the vanity being next to the shower / tub and the toilet being closest to the door.

Stephen

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:22 am

What is that counter surface?

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:46 am

I vote with the Chimay school. There are certainly more luxurious materials that are appropriate for the modern aesthetic. I respect that there are some people who lean toward maintaing a museum piece, but that's just not for me. Anyway, I'm sure that FLW would certainly have used granite and stone surfaces had that been an option at the time and old Joe would have been right behind him using less expensive granite tile to get a similar look.

There is a third option for showers in place of the sliding door or curtain. You can also get a shower screen that is hinged to the wall. They come in one, two, and three panel configurations and have the easy cleaning advantage of a curtain but are otherwise like a shower door. They can also swing out of the way unlike a shower door which I prefer for soaking in the tub. They are almost completely frameless, but much cheaper than the frameless shower door. They cost several hundred dollars more than a slider, but I'm willing to pay for easy cleaning!!! I bought one for my last house at Home Expo. It was made by Aquaware.

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

Postby Midlife Modern » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:27 am

Flagstone and cork tile would not be a good choice for wet areas,
unless they are sealed somehow, and sanitary/cleaning of those surfaces
might present a problem.

We have had cork in our bathroom for 6 years and it works well and looks great. It is easily cleanable, has no grout lines, and is warm to the feet. It has been sealed so moisture does not hurt it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:44 am

formica on 3/4 plywood. metal/vinyl edge

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:58 pm

JXBrown wrote: I'm sure that FLW would certainly have used granite and stone surfaces had that been an option at the time and old Joe would have been right behind him using less expensive granite tile to get a similar look.

I am shocked; perhaps Joe can tell us whether he would -- at any time, for any reason -- use "faux granite" tiles. . .? !

For the record, I greatly admire Chimay's bathroom, and said so when we first saw it. With all the discussion about bathrooms, I think we have yet to see examples other than Chimay's and, now, Joe's.

As for FLW, he could have used -- and did, sooner or later -- vitually any material available. The bathrooms at Fallingwater have cork floors and some cork walls (at the suggestion of Edgar Kaufmann, jr) with radiused corners (which caused some problems in construction -- Armstrong Cork Products Company, Lancaster PA, were brought in to assist) and white Kohler fixtures -- including tankless toilets placed 10 1/2" above the floor, at Kaufmann Sr's direction. (He had originally stated his interest in having the fixtures carved of stone, in keeping with the "natural" quality of the house; after apprentice Robert Moser got quotes from a local stonecarver, this expensive -- and highly impractical -- idea was dropped !)

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Wow, you're offline for 3 days and look at what you miss....
First off, I love all the pics of the bathrooms, and I would like to say that I think I have the smallest master bathroom of all....about 4x7 ft.!! That's just a shower and toilet; the sink is in the hall between the bedroom and bathroom.

My problem with renovation is consistency. It will be difficult task to maintain the "humbleness" of the home with all of the modern or "contemporary" fixtures and design out there. Yes, certainly the cleaner lined sink faucet looks much nicer and better designed than the older single-head faucet....but which one actually looks better in place with the overall look of my 40 year old house? Maybe people don't think it's such a big deal to have the contemporary/cantilevered/concrete countered look in a rustic tract home?

Joe wrote: It's a place where you crap, shower and clean yourself up–nothing more. Modernism is about good practical design, not pretentiousness.

That's where you and I are different, Joe. A man craps in his bathroom; A woman poops. :)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:50 pm

SDR wrote:I am shocked; perhaps Joe can tell us whether he would -- at any time, for any reason -- use "faux granite" tiles. . .? !
SDR

I am guessing he is talking about Joe Eichler. Eichler wasn't a designer, or an architect. He built houses designed by his architects that people wanted. He listed to his customers quite a bit. They wanted something easy to clean and maintain. In the '50s and '60s, people wanted formica.

morebank: yes, you are right!

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:50 am

If your on a really tight budget as I was and needed it to be done in about a week you could go the paint only route. I spent about $100 on this remodel. All paint!

Counter: Scuffed and sprayed it with fleckstone paint and then poly-urethaned it 5 times.

Floor: Ripped up the linoleum, patched and painted the floor with epoxy floor paint.

Before

After

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:01 am

Wow - that IS a big change!!! Good job on the budget re-do.

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:00 pm

Hey Joe, is mine small enough for you? Not only that, no window. This is the bath that I get to use, the wifes is a little bigger. I personally don't mind a small bath. Although I have knocked the funny bone on the old towel rack more times than I'd like.

The color is Ming Green by American Standard, it was picked out by the original owners as this was used as the "boys" room (they had two young boys). Notice the seahorse tiles. Not my first pick for color but...

I ran across a bunch of vintage tile at the local arch. salvage in pink...do I remember someone a while back looking for vintage pink tile? There was also some in a nice light grey.

I am looking for this model (in pic) American Standard toilet ca. 1957 in white for the mainfloor vanity. It is the only bathroom fixture missing out of the bathrooms and I would like to find one to re-install.

If you look at the faucets and hardware in this bathroom they do look a little older than what the actual build date of the house is, not really space agey but I think they have held up well design wise.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:04 pm

works for me. I like it! Anyone can have a new, contemporary bathroom. Not many folks these days can have yours.

Yes, I was looking for pink tile. After I finished the bath remodel, I found a pink toilet and pink tiles at a local recycling center. A little bummed. It would have looked great with black VCT.

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:12 pm

STLModern -- How long has it been since the remodel? How is it holding up?

I'm particularly interested in what you did to the sink. We have a similar setup. We're thinking about tearing out walls and moving stairs at some point, but I would love to do an intermediate remodel like yours. Are the five coats of polyurethane still firmly in place?

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:31 am

jva wrote:STLModern -- How long has it been since the remodel? How is it holding up?

I'm particularly interested in what you did to the sink. We have a similar setup. We're thinking about tearing out walls and moving stairs at some point, but I would love to do an intermediate remodel like yours. Are the five coats of polyurethane still firmly in place?

jva,

No problems what so ever. It's been done for about 10 months. I have a friend who did the same thing to her kitchen counter tops and it's held up strong for two years now! Best thing I recomend is prime the counter with whatever color you plan on painting it so you don't have to use as much fleckstone paint since it's more expensive. It took 3 cans of paint and one quart of poly to do my counter. I would have used less paint if I primed it first with a darker color.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:05 am

Classic Form,

What is the flooring in there ? It looks like terrazzo.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”