Remodeling--what does $100K get you these days?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
morbank
Modern Master

Remodeling--what does $100K get you these days?

Postby morbank » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:11 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:27 am

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:55 pm

Thx joe
No, I'm not fixing it up to sell it....more the opposite. I'm coming more to the realization that we are stuck here, so I feel as long as I'm going to be raising my kids in this house I should enjoy every aspect of it. And as it stands I don't. I feel like a lot of the aspects of the house are beautiful and perfect in concept, but having lived here for 3 years now I get a better idea of what I want out of the house.
I don't want to expand or demolish anything, just renovate what's there. Everything I want to do in some respects NEEDS to be done to "look nice," i.e. I have cracked tiles and a missing shower door, a stovetop that isn't to my liking, floor that is peeling, pool coping capable of cracking heads, etc.
My other issue is updating this house so that it is consistent with the "rustic" feel of the home. I don't want to ultramodernize it with crazy fixtures, but at the same time I do want that miele oven (and might have to since I need a 27")!
Another problem is that I can make more money that it would cost to pay some people to do work that you would consider DIY, especially since I would be likely to mess it up and have to pay more to have it fixed...and done right!
The more and more I hear of neighbor's renovations the more I think that $100K gets you close to nothing around here....a very disappointing feeling. Anyone else?

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:40 pm

we're not on west coast but consider yourself in good company when you get bummed out at how much/little $100K buys these days...but as Joe said - if you are willing to invest the time (and have it to invest) - there are many ways to save money.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:52 pm

morbank : "Another problem is that I can make more money that it would cost to pay some people to do work that you would consider DIY, especially since I would be likely to mess it up and have to pay more to have it fixed...and done right!"

Oh, I understand that! This year has been tough because I have hired contractors by taking on more clients to pay for it. Quite stressful because I am some frick'n anal when it comes to work done on the house. It's a balance. While I haven't done that much work myself, I have put much more time into research and design. So when the contractors show up, there are no questions.

I still have three bedrooms to re-sheetrock and paint, a couple windows the rehab and install, and a masterbath to gut/redo. Realistically, I'll only do some demo and paint. That's happening this winter. I need to pickup a couple more clients :?

designmatters
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

So tough to tell...

Postby designmatters » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:17 pm

These days, cost of materials vary wildly, sometimes month-to-month fluctuations that can affect even small projects.

You may not need an architect for much of that work, especially if you're pretty clear about what you want, but one is advisable because he/she can suggest alternatives, especially if you make it clear from the beginning that budget is an issue. They can also be good to double-sheck the contractor's work and invoices, to make sure you are not being ripped-off.

Another avenue would be to hire a student or recent architecture grad, a freelancer/moonlighter. Often they are much cheaper, and can work really hard on your project, compared to their fee. However, they might not have the experience, especially when it comes to cost.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:39 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:18 pm

Any "before" pics, morbank -- at least of the proposed landscape-improvement area(s) ?

Spend your time looking for the professionals you plan to hire -- when the time comes.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:10 pm

Here are some before and after pics, and some of the after pics are now before pics....if that makes any sense! Sorry if it takes long to load. Here are the main issues:

Back land/hardscaping-want to redo to match tropical feel in front of house (which is still a work in progress), also want to add a spa to inside of pool, recope pool. In the before pic, you can see empty space in the back which is now the children's grassy area (which we don't want to change)
kitchen-probably the only room that look better as a before pic! want to update appliances, countertops are in bad shape, resurface sliders, refinish cabinetry? I don't really want to change the layout although there is no vent and if you cook bacon the whole house smells like it for the entire day....
bathroom-update, but not change out cabinetry because it matches kitchen, need to update countertops, mirror, fixtures, tile in bathroom, keep sinks? Toilet needs to be changed out for similar (because it is cracked). Again, not changing space around--I love that the sinks are on the outside of the john! (BTW, couldn't even take a pic of the master bathroom because it is so small!!!)
FLOORS!!!! Agggg....in an old pic you can see that there was VCT tile that we had to remove because it was cracked all around the edges and smelled permanently of poodle pee. We replaced with a concrete poured layer which was stained too dark because the contractors kept making mistakes and now is peeling up everywhere. Also notice that our flooring options are few because of the flush aggregate entryway that we are not willing to cover up.
Lastly, any improvements we make must be keeping in with the originality of the home, its feeling of being old (i.e. rustic stained ceilings, wood paneling, etc.)....not major ultramodern remodeling here. Here's a pic of our living room which kind of describes our eclecticness of history....new modern mixed with 30s antique mixed with 60s danish...

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:46 pm

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:58 pm

100k can go along way if you are smart about it. our massive renos including massive landscaping, interior and ext. painting, kitchen, etc, are much less, but we've done a bunch ourselves.

as my father in law says...make a list. you'll be surprised how much you can save with a little elbow grease and the internet. also, talk to friends and neighbors in the neighborhood for recommendations if you need help. we're getting a hand on a few things from a local guy who builds and sells houses and he's helping us a bunch without being a "contractor".

as far as the kitchen...the mom and pop appliance shops tend to undercut the big box stores by about 25%. miele and all. also...think downdraft vent for the cooktop.

btw...great house.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:37 pm

This house was built in 1964, and although a "MC Modern", it still feels OLD. It has a lot of stained wood, and it sort of reminds me of a log cabin. I guess that's why I call it "rustic." It's still a tract home from humble beginnings!

Although the bathrooms I feel were well thought out, the fixtures used seem like there were the last thing on the list of priorities. They all lack any design, or the simplest. I know many people prefer this. I don't. But at the same time I don't want ultra-modern (for lack of a better word--maybe contemporary is a better word?) fixtures either. I'm even wondering if shower glass doors will look "too modern" if they don't have metal framing!

Anyway, thanks so far for the advice. As usual it is all good!

alkalphoenix
Modern Groupie

Postby alkalphoenix » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:55 pm

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:15 am

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:20 am

Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”