Pebble Floor in DWR Stores

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jamal
Modern Socialite

Pebble Floor in DWR Stores

Postby Jamal » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:51 am

Does anyone know how to put down a pebble/epoxy floor similar to the floors in Design Within Reach stores?

Is the cost similar to an terrazzo floor?

mladish
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mladish » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:40 am

We asked about who put the floor down in a store in hollywood and they gave us the company's contact info and it was 6.50 -7.50 a sq ft. I am not sure how that compares to terrazzo floors as I am waiting for a bid myself. Just ask the store and I am sure they would know or know how to find out.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:05 pm

i have seen samples of this kind of flooring shown at Lowes.

They use something very much like an epoxy terrazzo on Fremont Street in downtown vegas - It's starting to peel a bit here and there years later, but basically still looks pretty good. and if it can withstand that kind of foot traffic - that's pretty durable stuff.

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:25 pm

mlandish - do you still have the company's contact info? we asked the same question at the store here and they said "a company out in california came out to install it..."

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:53 pm

The stuff is called PebbleTech. Ask the People in the DWR store in Pasadena, they have the info. When I called them and asked, it was like $4-5 a foot.

paulsomm
Modern Socialite

Pebbletech

Postby paulsomm » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:28 pm

I had this material as a driveway surface on an old house. We discovered that the manufacturer recomends that it be powerwashed and re-epoxied every two to three years. Now obviously this was in an outdoor application and in an indoor environment the surface would not take the solar beating or have cars driven over it, but this type of care would seem to prohibit it from indoor use. At DWR they can remodel a showroom if wear becomes an issue, or have it recoated when they are closed. When we had our driveway redone it was costly and messy.

In addition have you ever walked on that stuff with bare feet?

Paul

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:28 am

These folks are experts in terrazzo with 40+ years experience. They were also sponsors of the Conservancy tour yesterday. Check 'em out: http://www.arcadianflooring.com/

mostlymodern
Modern Groupie

Postby mostlymodern » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:58 am

Someone over at Modernphoenix.net had it done a few months ago.
I think her name was Fifilynn, not sure about that. You can do a search of over there and get the scoop.

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago. We went dowtown for the first time ever. I couldn't get over the street. I loved the way it looked. I was probably the only person there more interested in the street coating than the "scenery".
I always feel like people think I'm 'casin' the joint' because I'm looking around at all the details and construction of new buildings.

One note- our friends have a pebbletec pool and it was murder on our feet! Bloody murder, even.

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am

Fifilynn
Modern Socialite

Postby Fifilynn » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:14 pm

I had a company local to Arizona install pebble floors throughout my house. The cost worked out to be about $7.00/ sq ft. I have been pleased with the floors overall. If you are going to have them installed here are a few tips:
1. Invest in some slippers and area rugs.
2. Don't assume the floors will be seamless, unless you have your floorspace done all at once.
3. Make sure the area where the installers are preparing the mixture is covered...the resin and pebble solution is messy.
4. Check out company references from other people who have had the floors installed in a residential setting. I made the mistake of hiring a company that many homeowners have been unhappy with. I thought they were the only ones in town that installed pebble floors, but I have come to find out there is at least one other reputable company in town that has experience installing them.
5. Brace for the unknown. We learn more about the floors every day. It is a learning experience finding a good way to clean them. :wink:
Jennifer Hibbard
Owner of Twins & Co. Realty
www.ScottsdaleModern.com
Avatar photo is my MCM Allied home in Scottsdale, Arizona

modfanatic
Modern Fan

Postby modfanatic » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Pebble Tec is a product developed in Australia for swimming pool interiors in place of traditional plaster. It's a combination of multicolored stone pebbles in a colored cement. It's applied by trowel, than acid washed the next day to expose the aggregate. Available in many color combinations, it costs more than plaster, but provides an appearance you can't obtain with regular plaster, does not get gritty and rough, and can be acid washed many times without loosing material. Definitely not the same as the DWR flooring.

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:32 pm

For anyone in the greater L.A. area, try Athena Tile on Parthenia in Northridge, CA. They have a vast selection of specialty tiles including aggregate & pebble-on-mesh sheets, Bisazza, terrazzo-like, glass tiles, mosaics, hand-made, hand-painted, ceramics, metallics & some really wild and unusual products and patterns. Great selection/reasonable pricing and I promise, worth the trip.

Located one-half block east of Reseda Blvd. on Parthenia (the north side of the street) in Northridge.

Margot
www.ValleyModern.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”