Chicago MCM shopping?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mod Diva
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Chicago MCM shopping?

Postby Mod Diva » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:04 pm

Hello out there-
Mod Diva is temporarily leaving her MCM home in the valley and relocating to a modest two bedroom apartment in Chicago. That being said, I have to furnish our new digs there which is both an exciting adventure and a dilemma. I have furnished my Valley home with "junks" and "treasures" I have found on E-bay and Craigslist and the oh so wonderful Rose Bowl in Pasadena. But for some odd reason, the quality of "junks and treasures" is just not the same in Chicago. Can anyone steer me in the right direction without breaking the bank? So far, I have been lucky and stumbled on these finds:
I bought two of the yellow chairs for $160.00
And I bought four of these for $100 each
I'm looking for some place where I can find stuff to repaint or redesign, re embelish to fit my new place- I like to make stuff too:) I know about the Broadway antique mart but I'm afraid it might be too pricey but I will check it out when I get there. Any thoughts my friends? You all are a plethora of info.
Cheers,
Mod Diva

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:53 pm

Welcome to Chicago!

Broadway Antique Mart has a range of prices, from reasonable to ridiculous, depending upon the pedigree of the piece. Be sure to check out the 2nd floor, as that's where most of the furniture is located.

One block south, on the same side of Broadway, are two shops (names escape me) that have a mix of things. I've seen some interesting items there from time to time.

If you like hunting in resale shops, check out both of The Ark Thrift Stores. One is on Lincoln Ave, a few blocks north of Belmont, and the other is on Milwaukee Ave., a couple blocks north of Division. Both are closed Saturday in observance of the Jewish Sabbath, but are open the other 6 days of the week.

Also check out the three Brown Elephant thrift shops at Halsted Street just north of Addison, Clark Avenue just north of Foster, and Milwaukee Ave., on the other side of the street and a few blocks north of the Milwaukee Ave. Ark store. As you probably know, timing and serendipity has a great deal to do with success in thrift shops.

Should you get to that part of Milwaukee Avenue, be sure to check out Modern Times, a few blocks north. Terrific stuff, and priced accordingly, but great MCM designer furniture for eye candy.

Getting off the beaten path, and hitting resale/thrift shops in the suburbs or less trendy parts of the city, may yield major bargains. But that depends on your eagerness to travel and your access to wheels.

If you find yourself needing the "fix" that only other MCM enthusiasts can provide, you may want to join Chicago Bauhaus And Beyond, http://www.chicagobauhausbeyond.org/. In just its second year, it has over 300 members, mostly quite gregarious, and has some very interesting events.

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Thanks Money,
I knew there would be someone out there in Lottalivinland who knew what I was looking for. I will definitely check your suggestions out when I get there. Chicago, here I come!
Cheers,
Mod Diva

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:02 am

Wlecome to Chicago! There's no doubt that garbage day pickings are not what they used to be. It seems people have smartened up, or perhaps all the good stuff has already been snapped up.

The Broadway market and Modern Times are great. But for less pricymidcentury furnishings try Belmont Avenue shops, among them Night & Day at 2228 W. and Vintage Deluxe at 1846 W.

As for estate sale & garage sale finds, you'll have better luck going where the incomes and tastes were more inclined toward mcm: suburbs including the North Shore, Park Ridge, the Barrington area, the Flossmoor/Olympia Fields area; and in the city, Hyde Park and the Sauganash/Edgebrook area. Among flea markets, the Kane County Flea Market is the best.

If you want to see some really amazing stuff, check out the Richard Wright auctions in Chicago and the Toomey/Treadway auctions in Oak Park. They're usually priocy, but in the past we've scored some deals at Toomey/Treadway. Even if you don't buy, its worth it just to look.

Dan

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Thanks guys for the info

Postby Mod Diva » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:16 pm

Thanks for the tips Everyone!
It's been a week that I've been here in Chicago and I went to the Broadway antique market yesterday looking for a couch and came up empty handed. I also stumbled upon the Ravenswood Antique mart and met some nice people there who will be on the lookout for a couch to fit my new digs. I got a flier for the last day of the Chicago Antique market happening this weekend so I will be going to that to check it out. ( I thought I had the last of my junking days last month at the RoseBowl in Pasadena) Lucky me that I get to experience the "junking" here in Chicago( the last one till May of next year). All in all I must admit that the MCM furnishings on Craigslist and Ebay have been the slimmest of pickings. I'm hoping that I get used to the shopping here and find what I'm looking for before it gets too cold :)
For those of you in Cali, tell my MCM in the valley that I miss her. But we'll be back- We haven't forgotten about you, we think of you, your space and your yard everyday.
Cheers from Chicago,
Mod Diva

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:55 am

Come around to the western shore of lake michigan and drive up the coast through saugatuak, holland/zeeland, grand haven etc. Bring a large truck because you will find what you are looking for. If you do not have the time to drive all the way up the coast check out "Springdale" in three oaks mich. there is also a streach of antique shops/malls just over the border in mich. starting in new buffalo and ending around bridgeman on the red arrow highway. Prices are a less expensive the farther north you go (read the farther away from chicago you go).

Might seem like a long trip but you can hit the mich. border from downtown chicago in about 1.5 if you drive like I do (like I stole it) and take the skyway, -construction.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”