Backsplash Tile Options

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Astrogal69
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Backsplash Tile Options

Postby Astrogal69 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:32 am

Does anyone know of great resource for unique and MCM appropriate tile? I can't believe how difficult it has been to find something other than earth tones or geese with bows. Can anyone help? Someplace in or near Minnesota would be ideal. Our home is a 1967 Rambler with fantastic original broken slate flooring and many unique surfaces. I'd like to find something that compliments all the existing masonry and overall feel of the place. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Astrogal69
Modern Groupie

Postby Astrogal69 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:02 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:32 pm

something to consider with the AA tiles... you could run several vertical strips of manfred tiles and use regular 4x4 of the same color/finish for rest of the backsplash.

lkantor
Modern Groupie

Mod Walls

Postby lkantor » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:52 am

i got my backsplash tile from a company call ModWalls. They are an on-line company based in Santa Rosa, CA. Anyway they make them to order and you can choose any colors you want. Try modwalls.com or google it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 am

nice find, ikantor! I like the brown/white/orange/blue mosaic! I'll be redoing my masterbath next spring (the last hurdle in my 4 year resto), I can definitely see some tiles from them on the walls and floor!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:59 am

The best value in glass mosiacs is at

They are half the price of ModWalls.

We used them in a recent bathroom upgrade and they are excellent quality.

Astrogal69
Modern Groupie

Postby Astrogal69 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:04 am

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:49 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Re: Backsplash Tile Options

Postby roxy500 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:00 pm

ValleyModern
Modern Master

more mosaic...

Postby ValleyModern » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:55 am

Craig Terrien
Deasy/Penner & Partners
www.ValleyModern.com

Astrogal69
Modern Groupie

KP Tiles YAY!!!

Postby Astrogal69 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestions... I just ordered some sample tiles from KP... they arrived within 2 days and look SMASHIN'!
I'm definitely purchasing from them, but I still have to choose a color combo (AAAAGHH!!) Anyway, they're great... I highly recommend!

:monkey:

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:18 pm

There was talk a while back about what a great resource Habitat for Humanity can be. I just found the following pink mosaic tile for $ 10.00 a case.

http://www.fastfloors.com/catalog/produ ... &ProdQty=0

It might be worth a look if you have a store nearby. This was the first time I'd seen mosaic tile there.

visiona
Modern Groupie

Modern Tile Options

Postby visiona » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:07 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:06 pm

there seem to be 2 threads that have good links in them - so i am gonna link them to each other...
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8302

also these links were from another tile thread -

Here are a few links that might lead you to what you are looking for:
decent color choices:
http://www.ec-securehost.com/WitsEndMosaics/Basics.html
pricey but beautiful:
http://www.heathceramics.com/fieldtile.php
http://www.angelfire.com/az/tile/mosaics/1x1.html
http://www.daltileproducts.com/series.c ... s=140&rm=4

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:18 pm

another thread with mosaic tile pictures and links:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8843

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:29 pm

okay - so the reason i was trolling through the old mosaic tile threads is because i am trying to figure out if it was hakatai or kptiles that i used on a certain project?

one came with a paper backing and the other plastic backing.

the plastic was kinda a pain and the paper seemed easier to use to me. does anyone know which company does which for their mosaic tiles? i think kp was the paper backed and easier to deal with.

amyg
Modern Fan

Postby amyg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:19 am

I got my tile from and it came with paper backing (actually, the paper was on the front and you wet it down to peel it off). It was easier in that it kept the tile very uniform. The difficulty was keeping the thinset from coming through to the front since you can't see the front until after you peel off the paper. By then, the thinset is dry and hard to remove.

I learned a solution to this problem though after I finished the job. On a home improvement site I found, one tile expert said he back butters the tile with grout before he puts it down. In essence, thinset and grout go on at the same time. With the grout seams all filled with grout, there's no way for the thinset to squeeze through. Then, after you peel off the paper, you apply grout again, to make it smooth and even. It's a brilliant idea. I wish I had another tile job to do so I can try it.

Incidentally, Mosaic Tile Supply gets there tile from KP and then marks it down. The prices are only slightly better now but when I did my bathroom there was a bigger price difference. I have quite a bit of tile left in both the blend and the solid. My bathroom pics are on . If either of these styles are of any interest to you, I'd be happy to give them to you as a thank you for providing this wonderful forum. I have to look to see what the square footage is.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:50 am

Hakatai uses the plastic meshy backing. I found it really easy to use, both on floors and walls. The ceramic mosaic tiles I used on the floor of our other bathroom used paper backing and I found that it was harder to keep them square than hakatai's plastic backing.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:14 pm

amyg
Modern Fan

Postby amyg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:09 pm

on the tile forum where I found it. Look at T Hulse's post about seven posts down. He explains the method in more detail and included a picture.

aliciatapp
Modern Fan

Postby aliciatapp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:05 am

100's and 100's of retro, vintage images to be transferred onto tumbled marble or ceramic tiles-- or submit your own-- Great tile display for a backsplash.or how about enlarging a label and have it as a tile mural backsplash

http://www.aliciatappdesigns.com/vintag ... _tiles.htm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”