Outdoor hanging globe light

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
oregonmodern
Modern Socialite

Outdoor hanging globe light

Postby oregonmodern » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:39 am

Does anyone know where to get a hanging ball lamp that is suitable for outdoor use? Progress and Sea Gull make ones that are rated for indoor use that don't seem like they would stand up to covered outdoor use very well. I have a breeze way that connects the carport to the front door and I want to line it with globe lights. The area gets some wind and indirect moisture and I need a light that has a metal stem that connects the light to the mounting base. The ones I can find just have a hanging cord which would leave the light swinging around in the wind. I am thinking I will have to make a trip to the hardware store to MacGyver one.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:28 am

My exterior globe lights (I have 6 of them) all hang about 4 feet from the ceiling - these were original to the house and the globes are made of white transluscent plastic - even during the hurricane the lights swung all over the place but I didn't lose any. They are also significantly lighter than the glass globes. Try to find the plastic ones if you're worried about wind.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Francis
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Francis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:06 pm

I made a globe outdoor solar system lamp cobbling various parts which you can see on the outdoor link for 432 S Barrington at

the adapting from electrical conduit thread to the globe base required a brass threaded reducing bushing, Aslo the globe holders have a lame leaf pattern stamped in them that I cover with metal tape and paint. I also changed the 3 screw to stainless cap screws.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:40 pm

Jim, they don't exist. This has been a topic of discussion with Eichler owners for several years (for indoors). Other than the Progress lights, that's it for appropriate hanging glass balls.

You should consider talking to an electrician (a licensed one) about retro fitting the Progress lights to function safely under your walkway roof. Could be costly if possible.

If you come up empty, I have a couple other lighting ideas which would look good. You really should look into a different kind of light. Those globe will light up everything, killing any drama you walkway has to offer.

Earlier during the Summer, when the hotel down the street next to Albertsons was being torn down, I had a chance for 12 vintage outdoor hanging globes for $20 each. I considered them, but passed...

Francis
Modern Groupie

Postby Francis » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:01 pm

there is a large globe designed for a post fixture at Home Depot that could be adapted upsideown. I used it for the sun in the solar system.

ch

Postby ch » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:52 pm

Francis
Modern Groupie

Postby Francis » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:03 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:03 am

the don't exist... new.

I am sure the Progress globes with an adapted conduit would work fine. But, paint, or powder coat, the conduit and light hardware flat black.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:27 pm

Tiki has several of them hanging on his house, outside. If I remember correctly, they weren't there when he moved in so I assume he added them himself. If you ask nicely, he may tell you where he got them. Don't know whether they are new or used. But I concur with Joe that they are a hot topic on the Eichler sites... almost as hot as large escutcheons for the door knob!
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:48 pm

My globes are glass....I got them from www.go-kat-go.com, but I just went there to find the link for you, and it seems that they don't have them anymore.

I was worried about having the glass outside, but there have been no problems as of yet.

They look great lit up.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:23 pm

Parkwood60
Modern Fan

Postby Parkwood60 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:57 pm

ADR (American Del Rosa) still sells the globes under the Sunset name, I think. I would have to check, but I think they would be fine for "Damp" location, which would be under under and eave. They are white canopy, white cord, white fitter, glass globe. With not too much effort a person could remove the bushings, replace the cord with a rod threaded 1/8" pipe thread on either end, and make it a solid mount. Personally I would put a ball joint at the top so it could move slightly in the breeze, just to keep it from vibrating.

To make something suitable for a damp location it just has to have a plastic or porcelain socket inside and not a paper insulator like an interior lamp.

You'll have to wait till monday, but I will look up the fixture in their catalog and find out the specs.

Woody

Parkwood60
Modern Fan

Postby Parkwood60 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:14 pm

modfanatic
Modern Fan

Postby modfanatic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:13 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:21 am

Nice catalog - have you ordered directly from them or did you go through someone? There catalog has given me several ideas.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

PacificaModern
Modern Master

Postby PacificaModern » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:05 am

That does look like a good source. In fact if you look closely at the bottom of the catalog page you can just make out that parts are available for exterior use. Check it out, just below the White Ellipsoid model...

Cheers,
Marty

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:11 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”