nicely updated eichler, unique site

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

nicely updated eichler, unique site

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:53 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: nicely updated eichler, unique site

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:18 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:04 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:38 am

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:54 am

-

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:45 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:58 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:13 pm

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

But what came before?

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:26 pm

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

Eichler aia tour, a few thoughts

Postby Midlife Modern » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Last edited by Midlife Modern on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 pm

-

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Some things

Postby modfan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:44 am

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:46 am

-

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 pm

I've been in the house and ues this house is sterile. You have to remember that this house is not lived in and has never been occupied in its current state. There may be one set of white dishes, but a real kitchen has dishes, plastic souvenir cups, mismatched utensils, old jars of condiments. And once occupied (unless by one person) it is difficult to attain such "clean lines". While many modernists espouse this look I don't beleive it to be realistic or accurate of the time period. I think it is an over-interpretation of modernism.
Just look at the Eames' house, or so many of the Eichler's owned by old Stanford professors they are chock full of art, artifacts, books, etc.
And it is an Eichler in a suburb it was built to house a family.
The bare concrete is a bit much (whether heated or not).

Hopefully a great buyer will liven it up and add some warmth.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 pm

I tend to agree. A little personal touch here, a little kitsch there is a nice balance to the nothingness. Actually, to live in an absolute sterile, ultra minimal environment is a bit psychotic.

Eichler's architects were much more organic than their European counterparts. American Modernism tends to include more nature and humanity than the white box nothingness that almost derailed Modernism before WW2.

Humans are allowed in the machine too.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:38 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:48 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:41 pm

oregonmodern
Modern Socialite

Postby oregonmodern » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:35 pm

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:58 am

I'd love to see "before" photos of this house....
just to see what they had to work with.
-

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

a matter of personal taste

Postby Midlife Modern » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:38 am

I find that homes that don't have a lot of "stuff" in them feel more restful and less chaotic. Well, I realize this is purely subjective and that for most people it is not realistic.

Having a lot of green outside of a modern home also makes it feel less sterile. I admire the restraint of this home and the view of the hills was a nice contrast to the concrete and glass interior. It worked as a unit with its surroundings whiich is the idea behind modernism.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Mies (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe) is supposed to have said, "Less is more." (A student said, ". . .yeah, but nothing is nothing.") The wooden architecture here presented reflects that strain of Modernism, a High Style (some would say "Hothouse") example of residential design. No, it's not for everyone -- neither is a Japanese imperial villa, c 1600, which it echoes. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sdrdesign ... /my_photos What this sort of presentation does, typically, is to present an example from which others may draw inspiration, extracting ideas and details for their own use.

Yes, there are people who "live this way" -- some on a very humble scale. What we see here does not necessarily imply "money"; the same aesthetic can be enjoyed by anyone, if they so desire. But, it's not for everyone. . .

SDR

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:34 am

SDR,

Thanks for the images. While viewing I was immediately reminded of the work of RM Schindler (particularly his own home), Gordon Drake, Harwell Hamilton Harris and even some FLW Usonians. What's missing in the photos of this minimal Japanese house is the color - of the wood, screens, mats, etc. Austere but warm and inviting. Even a cold concrete floor would work if balanced out by some unpainted, natural wood.

I think the house in Marin has been made "cold" by the renovation and minimal furnishings - white marble, painted wood ceilings and beams, etc. While this is one type of modernism, I think that most people who enjoy post and beam homes are of another type - the "woodsy-modern" as I call it, which lends itself more for active living as a house and not as a stage set or photo back drop.

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:23 am

having seen the farnsworth house (a "less is more" mies van der rohe expression) in pictures and books - i too was thinking the house would be cold and sterile (travertine marble floors, all glass/steel i-beam walls, etc). but when i visited the house, i was amazed at the surreal feeling of being on a floating pad in nature...granted i didn't live there, or even stay overnight for that matter, but these are the same qualities i love in our mcm house. they play to the siting and their environment. the more things going on inside just take away from the harmony the house has with its environement (imho). and it looks like the siting of the house above in marin doesn't suck either!

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:17 pm

Last edited by Joe on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 pm

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:32 pm

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am

Well I, for one, love this house. But I suppose that this should come as no surprise to most of the people here that know me.

I can also say that if everyone who owned an Eichler used as much restraint and sensibility as these people have when renovating or remodeling their homes, it would be a good thing. Compare this place to the Eichler on the real estate thread a few weeks ago in Orange County that had been covered in vinyl siding and redone with a really cheesy "gourmet" kitchen.

Let's also keep in mind that this is a staged home, intended for sale. So it's kept minimalist intentionally because you can't sell a home that's full of kitsch and crap (that would show to potential buyers that there's not enough storage space).

In any case, I like both styles of modernism (east and west), but see more commonality than difference between them. And as you all know, I also gravitate towards a more European, minimalist sensibility. That doesn't mean that we don't have personal items or momentos, and it doesn't mean that every square inch of our house is clutter-free. But it doesn mean that we make sure that large parts of our house (living/dining area, bathrooms, master bedroom, and kitchen, for example) are kept free of clutter to maintain a more minimalist look. We don't think of it as cold. We think of it as peaceful and restful.

I know that there are people who have entire rooms devoted to kitschy collections of one sort or another. We personally would feel burdened by having all that stuff.

So what I'm basically saying is how people live is an entirely personal manner. But rest assured that there are some of us who actually prefer a clutter- and kitsch-free existence, and it's not necessarily a symptom of some kind of psychosis!

Also, I've seen several references on this board to white carrara marble and travertine not being "mid-century modern". I would respectfully beg to differ - and so would Saarinen, Mies, and even Neutra. All of these architects and many more used marble and travertine extensively in their homes.
Last edited by Chimay on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”