Orange walls?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SuperMonkey
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Orange walls?

Postby SuperMonkey » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:31 pm

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:48 pm

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:36 pm

I always know in my head what color I want, but what I imagine and what I pick from a color wheel are usually very different. I had a Designer pick some colors for a company project one time and she used a Sherwin Williams orange called Lei Flower. It looks kind of loud on the chip, but it it a good choice.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:21 am

In our living room, we did exactly what you're talking about -- painted one wall orange, to contrast with the more natural/neutral colors of the furniture, floors, and ceiling. The rest of the walls are bright white.

The debate you're having is certainly understandable; I like the orange wall, but my wife has been talking about wanting to paint it white, too, to give the room a more stark/uniform appearance.

Here is a photo of our living room:

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:30 am

Go for the color on the wall! I have long been a fan of using a bit of those 70s colors for accent. A professional can correct me, but I call them "muddy colors" - burnt orange, avocado green and harvest yellow. I guess I consider them muddy because they are like taking primary colors and dull them down a bit. Kind of remind me of the look of the great urban films of the same period - they always look a little muddy to me.

Image Image Image

But I digress...

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:22 pm

Red-Orange and coral is one of my favorite accent colors and while used prolifically in the 70s was also used in the 50s often along with black, white, dark teals. I have a nesting set of enamel dishes in these colors. When I get a house I want a bright orange door, something like this.
If your stuff is all white go for it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:30 pm

the current issue of Atomic Ranch has an Eichler with orange walls. so-so.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

paint it and then paint it again!

Postby MikeLindsey » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:59 pm

The best part of painting a feature wall is if you don't like it, all you need to do to fix it is paint over it. Our last house was all white and a month or two before we decided to sell it we painted a feature wall (coffee/grey). We only wish we could have enjoyed it longer!

Paint a wall orange. Our bedroom is grey (with a white ceiling) and our duvet is orange. It looks great! You could even pick up one of these to tie in the orange. Image
Just don't over do it! :D

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:21 pm

I'm ALL for orange...

Thank you Mr. Panton

I'm also into doing the monochromatic thing...many different shdes of a certain color or color group..ie: reds and oranges

Daughter's bedroom

Heidi
Modern Socialite

Postby Heidi » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:37 pm

Hey Mike -- I love the idea of gray walls, white ceiling and orange duvet -- do you have a photo of your room? Is the gray a dark or light gray? Please do tell................thanks!
------------------------
Heidi

http://www.beaumondeprograms.com
http://laurelcanyoncenter.com: where the creative people go.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Heidi

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:20 am

I will have photos soon. The walls are "Cape Cod Grey" from Vista Paint and we like it flat. A white ceiling makes a room bigger, so that was a no brainer. The duvet is a discontinued Dwell duvet that works perfectly with the room (orange). Not to take steam out of the original post, but we have interesting news on our bedroom. We had a company come out and measure for blinds () and they loved our bedroom. Once installed they are taking photos for Smith & Noble and other advertisements. They gave us a great discount for the use of our bedroom and have put the order on rush so they will have the photos in time for January's deadline.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”