Bathroom Vanities etc

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Bathroom Vanities etc

Postby tikiyaki » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:52 pm

So,

There has been a ton of discussion in here about bathrooms...maybe I was just asleep, but where is everyone in here getting their vanity cabinets, sinks, facets etc?

I want to re-do one or both of my bathrooms, and I want another option besides IKEA - I like their stuff - especially the oversized square bathroom sink - but I'd like to keep my vanity the same size. I like Chimay's bathroom cabs alot...I want to do mine floating ie: not going all the way down to the floor. Also, saving money is always paramount.

Also, what about sinks,faucets, mirrors, upper cabinets etc ?

SIB723
Modern Fan

Postby SIB723 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:35 pm

We're in the market for the same. We found a cabinet maker who will build it for us to our specification.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Bathroom Vanities etc

Postby Stephen » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:32 am

tikiyaki wrote:I like Chimay's bathroom cabs alot...I want to do mine floating ie: not going all the way down to the floor. Also, saving money is always paramount.

The source of Chimay's "floating" cabinets did come up in the last discussion. They are plywood or MDM boxes made with drawers and then the Ikea drawer fronts were simply added. Looks expensive but isn't. I'm sure you've priced some of the Kohler "floating" vanity cabinet....chuh-ching!

Stephen

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:56 am

I've been searching the web for vanities as well, but there isn't much on the market that matches our taste. Most of them look as if they were made for Louis XIV :roll: , the very few sleek ones are extremely expensive.

Personally, I came to the conclusion that 1) if become rich somehow (not very likely), I'll have them custom made or chose Porcher Onda (but that's more contemporary than MCM modern) and 2) if we are still on a budget, I'll buy IKEA kitchen base cabinets and modify the depth. That is possible, just recently I read about it somewhere ... maybe on http://www.ikeafans.com/ - but can't find it anymore.

Homeclick.com is also an interesting source for sinks, faucets, accessories, toilets etc. In another bathroom thread some wrote about their experience with Homeclick.

Connie

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:00 am

As Tiki mentioned, we went with the floating cabinet look for our master bathroom vanity, and used IKEA doors from hanging wall cabinets, and built the cabinet boxes ourselves so that they'd have enough depth (otherwise, IKEA wall cabinets are too shallow, and floor cabinets are too long and don't provide the floating look). We just asked a carpenter to build our cabinets to fit the doors we ordered from IKEA, with the proper depth. It was a very economical solution.

If we had a larger budget, we may have opted for another solution, such as KERF (www.kerfdesign.com), but they are considerably more expensive.

There are also local cabinet makers in San Diego who can build similar custom things (mgmcabinets.com). They did beautiful work for the Craig Ellwood restoration here, but their bid for our home was about $9K to build the vanities for both the master and the guest bath.

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:07 am

Most of you have seen this before (and I'm sure are tired of seeing it by now!), but I got a couple of private messages requesting photos. So here's the hybridized IKEA vanity in question, for reference...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:20 am

I really like the KERF stuff. If I was building new, they'd get some of my business. :wink:

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:42 am

Yes, I think their stuff is great. They are based in Seattle, I think. They are willing to do custom orders, as well.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:18 am

So, Chimay...was it difficult to build the cabinets ? Also, did you attach them to the wall with a 2x4 underneath to support the cabinet ?
I'm thinking about going the same route as you.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 am

We had a carpenter build them out of white MDF and plywood. Because the doors are frameless, you don't see the box at all, so it's irrelevant from an aesthetic standpoint. Although it looks like one large cabinet, it's actually three boxes (one with one door, and two with two doors). But you can't tell unless you open them. We put an IKEA cover panel on the side of the box that's exposed. We found the marble in a pile of remnants at a local tile and stone dealer. You could use anything if you're so inclined.

No, it was not difficult at all and didn't cost much (relatively speaking). We ordered the doors and hinges and gave them to the cabinet-maker. I could have built them myself with the tools and time, but didn't have either at my disposal at the time. Be careful to give the builder the doors to build around rather than just trusting the measurements given by IKEA, because the doors are slightly smaller than the specs.

Also, there's no 2x4 for support. There are triangular metal brackets underneath these cabinets to help support them, but you don't see them unless you are on your hands and knees, peering underneath. These may have been better integrated inside the cabinets if we'd thought about it. But we didn't, and it's fine the way it is since you can't tell anyway.

JCDiehl
Modern Groupie

Bathroom Vanities

Postby JCDiehl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:21 pm

I just wanted to add some other options. I just bought two vanities from a store called Living Square in Los Angeles. Their website is www.livingsquare.com. They have one of a kind designs that are VERY economical. Even their fixtures have some of the best prices I've seen. And they are some of the nicest people to deal with.

Susannah
Modern Socialite

Bathroom counter and cabinet

Postby Susannah » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:20 pm

You can make one - the cabinet and get a sink you like or a slab counter and sink. That is what we did. Plain and simple. See my blog for bathroom pictures of sink.

http://fixupaddon.blogspot.com

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:46 pm

What I'd really like to do is an outdoor kinda bathroom....I'd like to have a concrete sink and vanity---one molded piece. I'd also like to incorporate redwood into the scheme somewhere, and maybe do slate in the shower. I've been really into redwood lately, and I think it would be cool in the bathroom, if applied the right way. I like the small mosaic tiles like the bisazza ones, but all that grout...oy vay...cleaning !

I like what these folks did wit their Eichler...

http://www.totheweb.com/eichler/e_house ... _2004.html

It has a very indoor/outdoor feel to it.

Any suggestions ?

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:28 am

They introduced many oriental or polynesian elements. I learned from some of my older neighbors that my house originally had all polynesian furniture and elements - the actual remaining design motifs are all oriental, cut I can see where the borders bleed. I wish I had a photo of the giant Tiki that originally stood guard next to the driveway - some day he will return!

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:51 am

johnnyapollo wrote:They introduced many oriental or polynesian elements. I learned from some of my older neighbors that my house originally had all polynesian furniture and elements - the actual remaining design motifs are all oriental, cut I can see where the borders bleed. I wish I had a photo of the giant Tiki that originally stood guard next to the driveway - some day he will return!

-- John

Well... you know ME by now...that's my thing, and that's what I have going throughout my house. I'd like to do something similar in the bathrooms too now.

Giant Tiki, huh ? Why would you remove such a thing ? ;-)

vik1109
Modern Groupie

neiman marcus vanity

Postby vik1109 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:52 pm

When we were in Paris last June, we saw these vanities for sale at the Habitat store (Terence Conran's long-standing chain of modern design stores in the UK and Europe) for about $700 each. The wood is solid oak - not veneer.

Looks just like Agape or something. I know many of you purists out there don't like vessel sinks, and some of the 'cooler than thou' have already declared them passé, but I still really like them and think they will have an enduring presence):

Why is it that the Europeans are the only ones who have figured out how to do affordable modern stuff anymore!?! Walking around the Conran and Habitat shops there, I was green with envy. It fills the gap nicely between IKEA and Design Out of Reach. But since we don't have them here, it's very frustrating.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:11 am

There used to be a spin-off chain from Terence Conran here in the US in the eighties, called simply, Conrans! They also had a mail order catalog business long before that was hip. There was a retail outlet in New York and outside of Philadelphia in the King of Prussia Mall and across the river in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.

Better quality than Ikea and pricier too! I bought a black laquered ash china cabinet there that I still use today. We saved for months to buy it for our first apartment out of college. It may have been my first piece of non-Ikea furniture.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:22 pm

There used to be a spin-off chain from Terence Conran here in the US in the eighties, called simply, Conrans!

There was also one in Boston and they stocked stuff very similar to the European Habitats. I can only assume they thought using Conran's name would work better as his books are published here. Unfortunately this chain did not survive and the one "Terence Conran" store left is in New York and it's style and pricing puts it at the DWR and Lignet Roset level.

maryanne5555
Modern Groupie

floating bathroom cabinets

Postby maryanne5555 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:49 pm

I want to purchase the new Kraftmaid Venicia line, but the installer and sales person tell me I cannot float cabinets on the bathroom wall...that the counters will be too heavy. Can someone help?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: floating bathroom cabinets

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:57 pm

maryanne5555 wrote:I want to purchase the new Kraftmaid Venicia line, but the installer and sales person tell me I cannot float cabinets on the bathroom wall...that the counters will be too heavy. Can someone help?

Yes. Time for a new installer. While weight is definitely a concern, people cantiliver things out of walls all the time. If this is a bathroom remodel, yoiu're proabably already opening up the walls for plumbing changes. Oviously, it will take some planning a extra bracing within the wall to hold the weight. and an extreme case, a steel post could be installed.

What is the countertop material?
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:10 pm

I'm with Meade on this one. Your salesperson and installer sound like they're not terribly bright, because they're assuming you just plan on fastening the cabinets to the wall without any additional bracing or support. If you did that, then it souldn't be able to support your countertop or sinks, etc. But all you need to do is add additional support brackets attached to the studs in the wall. You can also add triangular or "L" brackets underneath your cabinets. They won't be seen if they're underneath your cabinets, either, unless you're on your hands and knees. But that's a less elegant solution than what Stephen is talking about doing. So it does sound like you need a new installer who's capable of thinking outside the box (pun intended) a little bit. .

Incidentally, we also have wall-mounted toilets in our house, and they manage to support everyone's weight just fine!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:23 pm

It may be that it's because it's a krafttmaid thing. Most of their line would not be adaptable to wall mounting. Note the Chimay pictures above. Those are strong boxes. Screwed or otherwise mounted to a sutable wall would work fine with such a custom made thing. However, trying to make a cabinet that was made to sit on the floor float on the wall will not work. Just like the installer said.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:16 pm

egads wrote:It may be that it's because it's a krafttmaid thing. Most of their line would not be adaptable to wall mounting. Note the Chimay pictures above. Those are strong boxes. Screwed or otherwise mounted to a sutable wall would work fine with such a custom made thing. However, trying to make a cabinet that was made to sit on the floor float on the wall will not work. Just like the installer said.

I don't buy that. I just took a look at the cabinets in my kitchen, "Mill's Pride." The wall cabinets are constructed identically to the base cabinets of the same style. My wall cabinets are holding a decent amount of weight and not failing. I hope Kraftmaids Venicia line is better constructed than my Mill's Pride cabinets -- they should be for an order of magnitude increase in cost.

The only real difference is depth. As Chimay stated, there are a number of very simple fixes to either increase the strength of the mounting or reduce the load on the cabinet. I can also think of several very elegant solutions that would support the cabinet from below and be nearly invisible in most applications.

Additionally, I notice Kraftmaid has special construction for the Venicia line:

- 3/4" end panels
- 3/4" doweled and glued floors and tops
- 5/8" doweled and glued hanging rails

That should be plenty. In the case of a heavy counter-top, it's the end-panels that bear most of the weight. If if the entire surface isn't seated the wall and the entire force is deflection, it's still in the plane of end panel and should be very strong. The second probable failure mode would be in the hanging rail. I would probably add a second or third for the just-in-case factor. Either that or add a thicker back so you can spread the load across the entire back edge.

We don't know the exactly cabinet model being used (and several other important details), but right now this sounds like a classic case of "this isn't like 95% of the other installations so I don't want to do it." I'd also be very curious to look at Chimay's construction. It's carrying a marble top. I have a feeling it's just a nice 3/4" box with a solid back to spread the load.
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:24 am

I am just finishing up my master bathroom and I used a floating KERF Design cabinet and I love it. I had them use maple which is very close to the color of the birch in the rest of the house. I had them leave the dorr unfinished and I am going to paint it my accent color.

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 am

I have Kraftmaid Venecia cabinets in my kitchen. I have an over-refrigerator cabinet mounted above my refrigerator and I have every intention of buying a couple more and mounting them in my bathroom. I can see no reason why I can mount one 6 ft off the floor, but not 6 inches off the floor. I was planning on reinforcing the top a bit to support the countertop.

For a small up-charge, you can get one that is made a non-standard depth, if you want a 21" deep vanity rather than the 24" depth of the refrigerator cabinet.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:51 pm

So I've now been all through the Venicia line at the Kraftmaid website.
There are made out of particleboard. And would therefore need reinforcing to "float". An interlock is a really good way to mount such a cabinet. That would be two hanging strips cut at a 45 degree angle. One goes on the cabinet and the other on the wall. That piece should be attached to the sides. If the sides won't be seen, or the installation calls for finnished end panels, then that should not be a problem. But if it was my bathroom, it would be made out of plywood.

TOMINOC
Modern Fan

Postby TOMINOC » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:00 pm

I had a local cabinetmaker build me a four foot wide 2 door front/no drawer cabinet i used for a floating vanity-they also stained it and gut on the hardware/handle pulls. I bought a Kohler square sink off e bay. Built the top out of plywood and faux granite formica. Total cost about $500.00............

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:09 am

Likewise, I have a question about bathroom cabinets like this.

I'm going to build a simple floating one of my own, using 3/4" walnut veneered plywood. Probably with a simple vessel sink sitting on top (yeah, yeah, I know. everyone hates these).

Anyway, my question is, how do I protect the wood top from water damage without looking like there's an inch of laquer on it? I know I've seen commercial vanities like this, and always wonder how they would hold up.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:11 am

They do not hold up! Ask Steve W. about it.

What if you did just a layer of plastic laminate over the top like a Nelson Credenza?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”