insulating without ruining siding

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jamal
Modern Socialite

insulating without ruining siding

Postby Jamal » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:21 am

ive heard that there are some ways you can blow in free form insulation into exterior walls without being invasive to the existing siding. we have redwood siding, its in great condition and don't want to take it down, but our exterior walls are COLD - especially the north one.

any thoughts?

JXBrown
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JXBrown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 am

They have to make a hole between each pair of studs, but I believe they can do it from inside. Patching drywall is easy and much more likely to give you a cosmetically acceptable result than making holes in your redwood siding. Blown in insulation should be available from just about any insulation contractor. OTOH, I'm a southern Californian so my knowledge of insulation is limited at best.

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:12 am

I have been seeing signs pop up in yards in lansing. Some system called Retrofoam. I don't know who installs it in your area, but call some of the local insulating contracters. I imagine that this type of thing is becoming more common.

On the other hand, i am a little skeptical of filling my walls with expanding foam. Maybe it is not like that stuff in the can that I am thinking of, but perhaps it is. It would make replacing wiring in walls pretty difficult. Not that everyone needs to do so, but I know that I do.
I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:44 pm

We bought and moved a little 40's frame house when I was a kid that had "blown insulation". The house required quite a bit of drywall work after the move and with a couple of the larger repairs as well as some electrical work I was able to see the insulation. It was some sort of shredded material, almost like paper and was packed firmly between the studs. There were no obvious "entry points" and I always wondered how the introduction (blowing :) of the insulations took place. This house remains the best insulated house I've ever stayed in. I've seen it freezing outside and 50 inside with only a pilot light on. Good luck!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”