Alternative to Nelson Bubble light?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

oregonmodern
Modern Socialite

Alternative to Nelson Bubble light?

Postby oregonmodern » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:11 am

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chimay » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:58 am

We have a LeKlint pendant light in our dining area. Have you considered those? Lots of shapes and designs.

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:19 am

jim-bob, there are not too many lights that fit into your request. Actually, I like the nelson lights quite a bit. Yes, they are a little cliche, but dude, you're in Eugene. Nobody has lights like that.

One light you may look for is the saucer pendant designed by Isamu Noguchi called the AKARI. It's quite nice. DWR has a fairly big selection and their light prices are not too bad. Check Modernica too.

Where are you hanging this light?

Chimay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chimay » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Well, if you do decide to go with a Nelson lamp, I know a place in Silver Lake where you can get a great deal! :wink:

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:05 am

Yeah... go to Chinatown (any Chinatown) lots and lots of those
for a couple bucks in every color of the Rainbow and lots
of different sizes.... LOL!

Sorry, those lights crack me up as its so obvious where the
inspiration came from and to see them for hundreds of dollars....
I think I'll stick with the cheap Chinatown originals.

:wink:
-

JCDiehl
Modern Groupie

Postby JCDiehl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:31 pm

Yeah, the ones in Chinatown are great... if you don't want them to last any longer than six months. I'd rather pay for the quality of Nelson. By the way, I read somewhere that Modernica now owns the rights to produce the original Nelson Bubble lamps. If you are buying an official Nelson, you are ultimately buying it from them. I ordered one on-line from a lighting company and I thought I was getting a good deal, but it came directly from Modernica. When I went into the store, I could have gotten it for $20 less.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:42 am

So Shannanigan... Did I read that right?!? You don't honestly think that there's any difference between these...

and these...?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:51 pm

Do not knock the Akaris until you see one in person. They are actually much more elegant than the Asian Paper lanterns.

If you want to see a bad knock off of an Akari look at the lamp section at Target and see the floor lamp version. Ikea had a few pretty good Akari knockoffs about ten years ago. I was somewhat disappointed in Target, they usually do some pretty good design work. And there mid-century line was a huge disappointment.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:42 pm

To me, the Nelsons are the perfect MCM light. There are like 4 or 5 designs to choose from, and they look so great. Some cliche's are cliche's for a reason...they work.
Just my 2 cents

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:51 am

Yes, the Nelson Lamps are great!

Especially now that you can buy them new!

I love vintage when you can find it, but these Nelson Lamps are fragile and the material yellows significantly with age. I like them when they are crisp and clean. The light quality is even better in a new one. Everyone who has an undamaged vintage one consider yourself lucky. Everyone else at least consider the new Nelson Bubble Lamps!

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:18 am

We bought this at Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 5932*15934

and another really cheapo light at Home Depot that had a white cone shaped "base" that attached to the ceiling with a white cord that hung down and married the two to become our dining room pendant. It was so amazingly better than the brass and glass monstrocity that was there.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:58 am

yeah - check it out:

I had FIVE different people in five minutes want it when i listed it for free on craigslist.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:47 pm

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:06 am

-

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:47 pm

Well, even if we limit it to the other ones I posted in the Nissan ad, I don't think there's much of a comparison. The Nelson lamps have a distinct look to them and a level of refinement and quality that the Japanese paper lanterns just don't have. And those paper lanterns just say "college dorm" to me... To each his own.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:31 pm

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

alternative nelson light

Postby chubby1968 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:24 am

Wow... you guys are really touchy about this subject.
And a bit rude on the rebound I gotta say... concidering
my first comment was slightly tongue in cheek.

Sheesh... :?
-

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:48 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:00 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:41 am

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Nelson Light

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:59 pm

:-O: the Nelson lights look great, but I understand wanting something different. We have three friends (we all used to live on the same block) and we all have the same taste. When we all would get together, someone always said, "Oh, I just bought that too." We all have the same platform bed (each in a different finish) and I think we are all racing to be the first to install a Nelson lamp. Once one of us puts one up, the LeKlint will be our 2nd choice. I have not found anything other than a Nelson or LeKlint that really works for me.

Let us know if you decide on anything.

PacificaModern
Modern Master

We have Nelson lamps at our place but...

Postby PacificaModern » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:19 am

I love these Poul Heningsen lamps!

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

lights

Postby chubby1968 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:36 pm

Look up Pique4u.com Baby phat lights. Uses the same materials as Nelson lights and not overused. Check them out. Please let me know what you think.

--Good luck--

Chubby

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Hey All,
I found these online..I thought they were pretty cool too. Interesting that you have to put some of them together but in a price comparison to the Nelson lamps, pretty affordable. I found this http://www.shopfosters.com/store/home.php?cat=24
[url][/url]
I'm partial to the ones with color but, for the prices.. they are not so bad, It's a little more than what you'd pay at Ikea, but not even as much as a Nelson, some where in between, and didn't break the bank!
Cheers,
Mod Diva

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:25 am

I love all the alternatives there seem to be, to the hanging globe fixture !

MRU's comment, about old vs new Bubble lamps, brings to mind the qualities each has (yellowed vs white) and the possibilities for appropriate and effective use of each. Perhaps "new skins for new wine" is the way to go -- ie, new white on a new white background. But another take would be to play up the aged patina of a vintage model, by placing it on that same pure white background ?

On the other hand, maybe an old one would look great in a vintage setting, where other pieces -- and the house itself ? -- are clearly "original" and aging. (I acknowledge that these thoughts ignore the quality of light given by old vs new Bubbles. . .)

Here's a question from a poster on another design site; maybe we can provide the answer here, and show we're able to out-do the "furniture fanatics. . . !

Nelson bubble lamp wattage
I just installed a vintage 25" saucer bubble lamp. What wattage of bulb would be safe to have in it? I plan on having it on most every night for hours. Thanks for any input.

Anybody have the answer ?

SDR

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Go Noguchi

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:18 pm

I am not going out on a limb with this suggestion, but here is a Noguchi that you don't see everyday.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

SDR

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 pm

In response to your question, I found this for the new Nelsons.

All lamps are built to Nelson’s specifications. UL-listed. Bulb (not included): Incandescent 150W/120V/E26/A21 recommended.

:-O:

This info pertains to the DWR Nelson Lamps, not the vintage bubble lights.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:01 pm

Thanks Mike -- I'll pass that along. (In the meantime, I offered the idea that screw-in fluorescents would be a "cool" option. . .)

That 38" Akari must be spectacular. . .!

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”