Mid Century Modern Homes in Toronto Area

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tikifish
Modern Socialite

Mid Century Modern Homes in Toronto Area

Postby tikifish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:39 am

I'm always trying to hunt down midcentury homes in Toronto, and wondered if anyone else in this forum has hunting tips.

So far I know of several pockets:

Don Mills: The most famous area of MCM homes in the city, but also the most expensive,, with a nice glass walled angled roof number starting about 600,000. Unfortunately the people who can afford to live there often 'remodel' or tear down these homes to make McMansions becasue they don't appreciate the architecture, and just want to live in the fancy neighbourhood.

Midland Park: (Midland and Lawrence/Ellesemere) Much less expensive, due to the fact it is in Scarborough (aka Scarberia). Nicer, smaller homes, in the 250,000 to 350,000 range. I am intersted in finding out more about who designed these homes. I have a friend who grew up in one, it's quite nice, but not to the level of Don Mills quality, size or layouts. Many have pools, most have carports.

Rathburn and Renforth: My real estate agent told me about these but I havent seen too much exciting there, plus it has the addded excitement of being near the airport and the 427. The area doesnt thrill me, but maybe I wasnt looking in the right pocket.

Any others in the GTA? I have heard tales of Mississauga modern but havent seen it yet...

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chimay » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:32 am

My mother's from Scarborough, from a neighborhood on the bluffs just off Kingston Road near the seminary. There used to be a few MCM style homes there, but most are fairly traditional. Otherwise, I've been to Toronto many times, but only know of the neighborhoods you already mentioned for modern. I'm curious to know what you find out. I've never seen anything even approaching MCM in Mississauga.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:18 am

Here's an example of yet another realtor who doesn't get it... this guy is practically begging you to tear this beauty down!

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:49 pm

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:55 am

jimmyjazz
Modern Groupie

Postby jimmyjazz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:22 am

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:36 am

jimmyjazz
Modern Groupie

Postby jimmyjazz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:31 pm

i am now sure (again) that it is Dave - who else drives a '62 Monty?

Mineola is just east of the credit river, north of lakeshore, s of QEW. look on your pERLY'S FOR Mineola (st or ave I cant remember which) and that will put you in the right neighborhood. it is not that big.

like all other cool areas the good houses are disappearing, and being replaced with faux chateaux (i was going to say McMansions - but they actually are mansions).

It may be fun to look at but it is way, way out of your price range.

Downtown, well obviously you are out of luck. it's Victorian, or a modern shoebox condo.

we are in that Stonegate area i mentioned before. for us it has the mix of all that we need, its a quick drive downtown 12 - 30 minutes, but it has the peace of suburbia going for it.

Are you a handyman? would you want something to reno yourself?

Jim

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:06 pm

I am a handy-ish woman! I am not afraid of renovating but don't have a lot of experience at it. But I think I'd be pretty good at it if I put my mind to it. I've done minor projects (floors, sanding, painting, retiling). I wouldn't want to buy something already reno'd, for me the fun would be in taking a home that hasn't been touched and saving it from the horror of bay windows and brass fixtures! If I see a home that says 'Newly reno'd' I know it wouldn't be for me... but one where the realtor is saying 'build your dream home here, tear down, needs updating, same owner for 50 years' I know that would be the one I wanted!

jimmyjazz
Modern Groupie

Postby jimmyjazz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:22 pm

tiki (may i call you tiki?)

sorry!

to my mind, there is no doubt if that is your price range, and desired style, therre is no viable option but Scarb.

in south etobicoke (#'d streets of new toronto - south of lakeshore) there are lots of viable properties - in a neighborhood that i think is going to go way up in value within 5 years, that are superprime candidates for the reno you propose, and well within your price range (including the reno cost - if you are using sweat equity). The prob is that none of them, so far as i know are mcm in originating style. most are very bland bungalows, the best are i guess what might be called "craftsman" - but they are going to cost more to acquire. I think a bad bungalow might easily be turned into a nice modern after reno - but it isnt mcm.

North of lakeshore, the lots get bigger (really quite big 50' x 150') and so on.

Are you not from TO originally?

Jim

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:34 pm

Feel free to call me tiki, fish, tikifish, Jane, or whatever you like! I grew up in the Yonge/York Mills area, so I dont really know the west end (Mississauga/Etobicoke). Much more familiar with Don Mills, where I went to school. Many of my school friends lived in modern homes in that area. I particularily remember one with a gorgeous glass walled interior atrium, on Bamboo Grove. Don't know if it's still there or has been torn down to make way for a faux stone mansion! I drove around the other day looking fro it while I was in the area for a (lame) estate sale, but didn't find it.

jimmyjazz
Modern Groupie

Postby jimmyjazz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:13 pm

tiki

ahh yes, the great divide....Yonge St.

Jim

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”