Doesn't anyone buy orange carpeting anymore?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Doesn't anyone buy orange carpeting anymore?

Postby Jamal » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:24 pm

Problem: we need to carpet our stairs + landing. It originally came with orange carpeting to match the tones of the stained glass next to the front door:

When we remodeled - we tore up the carpet because it was trashed. And hoped for some cool wood underneath. No such luck...

So, now that we are looking to go back to orange carpet - there is none available. Just earthtones and berber as far as the eye can see!

Does anyone know where you can find bold orange carpeting for the stairs? Plenty or orange rugs - but carpeting?

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:38 pm

Ask you local flooring store to show you samples of their commercial carpet (what would be used in banks, hotel lobbies, etc.), and there might be some orange offerings.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:52 pm

That door is cool! Love the stained glass.

I agree with synthetic space, try looking into commercial carpet.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I third that comment.

Think about airport carpet - it's often orange!

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:28 pm

so far the places we've looked at - the commercial carpeting selection is arguably worse than the residential selection. i think i need to find a dedicated commercial carpet retailer...

robinCO
Modern Socialite

If you'd do shag...

Postby robinCO » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:49 pm

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:09 pm

Great find robinCO.

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:12 pm

Interface flor tiles are great...removeable, washable, easy to install, and in orange...

http://www.interfaceflor.com/service/fl ... 0900609164

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:01 pm

i was wondering about the flor tiles too - can you install flor tiles on stairs? they wouldn't seem to go around the bend of the stair edge...

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Seems like

Postby modfan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:53 pm

floor tiles would go on stairs, my uncle had them on the 'down' stairs of their split entry house (in Layton Utah), they were a vinyl floor tile I think. Seems like a ceramic would work as the have the curved pieces for tub surrounds and counter backsplashes.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:12 am

Another (non-carpet) idea: rubber floor tiles. They come in all sorts of colors and patterns:

http://www.johnsonite.com/products/roundel.htm

We have red ones installed in our rec room. And my brother has black ones on his stairs (the company does make pre-bent tiles specifically for stairways).

robinCO
Modern Socialite

rubber floor

Postby robinCO » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:06 am

Hey Synth - Tell me more about your rubber tiles... what kind of substrate did you attach them to? We have a VAT floor in our lower level that I would love to cover with underlayment and some sort (rubber?) of floor tiles. Also, (if I may be so bold) how much did they cost /sf?

Thanks
robinCO

synthetic space
Modern Master

Re: rubber floor

Postby synthetic space » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:54 am

robinCO wrote:Hey Synth - Tell me more about your rubber tiles... what kind of substrate did you attach them to? We have a VAT floor in our lower level that I would love to cover with underlayment and some sort (rubber?) of floor tiles. Also, (if I may be so bold) how much did they cost /sf?

We had the flooring people install a new layer of smooth plywood over our existing subfloor, and then the rubber tiles were attached to that. I believe these tiles can be attached to wood, concrete, and other sorts of materials. You might even be able to install them directly over your VAT. Check out technical details here:

http://www.johnsonite.com/techdata/index.htm

As for cost, the tiles themselves were rather pricey. We used Johnsonite, although I believe some cheaper brands are available (our local Lowe's has some in their small commercial flooring area). I'm not sure what the price per square foot was with installation, but it was a lot higher than in the areas where we used plain VCT, largely because of the difference in material costs.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:20 am

Have a look at the original Pirelli rubber tile. I've used it for flooring over concrete...just lay it down edge to edge and it pretty much stays put. Of course, no reason why you couldn't lay it down with adhesive if you wanted to. Mop it and wax it. Beautiful stuff.

http://www.rubberfloors.com/products/activa-rf.htm

robinCO
Modern Socialite

rubber floor

Postby robinCO » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:25 pm

Thanks. I will read the technical data. I don't expect anything to be as cheap as VCT but I've had a hard time finding out what rubber flooring costs - I don't have a Lowe's here but maybe I'll make the drive to see what they have. Also, thanks for the info on the Pirelli rubber floor! I'll have to see if I can find pricing info. It would look great up against my sparkly quartz fireplace ;-)

R

JCDiehl
Modern Groupie

Postby JCDiehl » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:37 am

Just wanted to ad info on another commercial carpet company. I have a friend who works for Bentley Prince Street, a commercial carpet company. She set me up with the warehouse here in CA and I picked out a remnant for my condo in LA. The carpet is the best I could have ever picked, and they have a huge selection. Its good for kids and pets since it is liquid and stain resistant. Liquids just bead on the surface without absorbing. I always get compliments on the carpet as it looks very modern. Here is their website:

http://www.bentleyprincestreet.com/cult ... street.htm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:38 pm

this has been a GREAT thread filled with fabu links to great resources. i am nominating it for "best of lotta living"
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:40 am

thanks to everyone for all the great info provided. i think bentley street might be the place that will have it - im waiting for their return call.

its amazing what a night in a bar will do - i found this place from a friend last night - not exactly what i'm looking for but cool nonetheless...

http://www.chilewich.com/plynyl/index.html

does anyone else feel frustrated in dealing with commercial vendors as a residential house owner?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:56 pm

For more on Chilewich see this thread.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... 7a1f37dc74

robinCO
Modern Socialite

rubber floor deal!

Postby robinCO » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:14 am

I took Classic Form's advice and looked into the Pirelli rubber tile and called their 800 number. The woman was nice but the price was too high for us -- then, right at the end of the phone call she said "of course, we do have some closeouts..." it turns out they sell odd lots for between 95 cents and $1.50 a square foot. It's definitely worth a call if anyone has a space of 50-250 square feet that needs rubber flooring.

http://www.rubberfloors.com/index.htm

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:10 am

two words: Carpet dye - yup, there are people who do this professionally. My mother in law had it done years ago. Google it and see what you can find. Also, there are people who specialize in automobile carpet that make bright orange carpet for cars - it's that low pile, not shag or anything.

Then out of the blue, check out this site - Orange Shag Carpet.

http://shagcarpet.com/shagrugs.htm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”