How much to go mod?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
autobot
Modern Groupie

How much to go mod?

Postby autobot » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:49 pm

After all sorts of personal trevails and so on I'm finally ready to buy a home. While I'd be content with a nice spacious Spanish stucco job, I'd really like to satisfy my dream of owning a modern. The question is this: Can it be done for $350K or under? Or am I better off playing first-time home buyer now and planning to buy something pricier in the future?
Any advice regarding realtors, search techniques & web sites, etc. also appreciated.
BTW, I am in the Los Angeles area.
Thanks.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:02 pm

price is generally about location, not style, and you can find pockets of modern neighborhoods here and there as well as single custom modern homes around l.a.
you can find fickets in the valley starting in the low 200's or spend over a million on a case study home.
what area were you looking in?

GaryR50
Modern Master

Going Mod?

Postby GaryR50 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:51 pm

While style may not have much to do with price, usually, when you're talking about a modern house, it does have an effect. Existing modernist houses, such as the Eichlers have been bid up in price by fifty years of inflation, plus the recent interest of people like yourselves, who want to buy a modern house. As for new modernist construction, it can be very expensive, especially if you use materials or building techniques that most builders would perceive as "unusual."

As for building a new modern, that's well beyond the reach of most folks, particularly in a market like L.A. Hiring an architect will set you back 5 to 15% of your construction budget, too.

I don't mean to shamelessly promote myself here, but I do offer somewhat of an alternative in modernist stock plans. True, you won't have the control you would have with an architect doing custom design, but it's the next best thing for those who want a modern house and either can't find an existing one that is affordable, or can't afford to hire an architect. I'm just one of a few architects and residential designers who are beginning to offer a modernist alternative to the traditionalist stock plans that have dominated the market for decades.

Right now, I'm in the start-up phase of my business and have only one design available, currently. There will be more to come, though.
Gary
Modern Home Design
http://www.modern-home-design.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:59 pm

Gary R50 - welcome to the forum! shameless promotion is accepted here... as long as you become a regular contributor :wink:

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Palm Springs

Postby PaulKaplan » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:12 pm

If you're a die-hard modernist fan on a budget, you can still get a great mid-century find out in Palm Springs, the modernist's playground!

Alexanders can be found for under $300,000 still, but that won't last too much longer due to their popularity. You can get a mid-century condo starting at $130,000.

If you'd like more information, please feel free to drop me an email.

Best of luck on your first purchase!

Paul Kaplan
paulkaplan5@aol.com
Classic Homes, Inc.
Palm Springs, CA
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

vintagegirl
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby vintagegirl » Mon May 05, 2003 7:24 pm

Martin
Modern Fan

Postby Martin » Mon May 05, 2003 7:53 pm

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Tue May 06, 2003 3:11 am

Gary

Modern Home Design

bongofury
Modern Groupie

Postby bongofury » Tue May 06, 2003 12:03 pm

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Tue May 06, 2003 12:18 pm

Gary

Modern Home Design

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”